Names in other languages from cartoon dubs - okay to stay?

Koopa con Carne

call me Hot Lips, 'cause i'm a one-shot wonder
MarioWiki
Koopa con Carne
A few months ago, there was a proposal to allow coverage of name spellings from authorised closed captions of Mario cartoons. The proposal failed, two reasonings cited against it being that names aren't made official just by proxy with Nintendo and that the captions themselves are too low-quality to be considered a viable source.

Honestly, certain names in other languages that we have on some articles seem to be in the same drove as the above. The wiki covers name translations from third-party cartoon dubs in languages such as Romanian, Hungarian, Hebrew, Swedish etc. that may not have been overseen by Nintendo or DiC. I can at least source[1] that the Romanian dub was merely authorized by DiC while being managed entirely by a different studio, and can also attest as a speaker of this language that the translation itself is laughably loony in many places, where for instance the Fire Sumo in "Mama Luigi" is called a "Foc Sumo"—literally meaning "Sumo Fire"—with no attempt to adapt the original adjective-noun placement to the conventional Romance grammar. Such situations, however, should be judged on a case-by-case basis for each version of each dub, as I imagine there could be translations that, if not directly supervised by the original creators, were at least handled with much more respect to the English material.

Given my statements above, should we maybe extend the reach of that proposal's consensus to cartoon translations?

[1] A news article stated that KidsCo, the channel that handled Romanian dubbings for various cartoons, was given the rights to do so by "independent providers" such as DiC and Nelvana.

Imo, I guess it doesn't hurt to point out the names in, like, the table or something, if that's the only source of the names we have.

Back