New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Are you getting New Super Mario Bros. Wii?

• Yes

Votes: 19 82.6%
  • No

Votes: 4 17.4%

• Total voters
Mr. Doctor Professor Assistant Governor-General Shyguy said:
Nerdy Guy, that was not enough of a spoiler to need tags.
It originaly had a little more detail, but I accidently deleted half of the post. Instead of canceling, I didn't think straight and tried to refill it with what I remembered. Sorry about that. :-[

Hi all!

Pretty cool game (though I like the simplicity of the original, and feel there are too many Super Mario Owlrd features in these modern games). I got to try it out at the Nintendo World store in Rockefeller Center (a block away from the big tree).

Since the biggest new feature of the game is the multiplayer, it to me naturally raised the question of what happens when players are "left behind", which I found on the internet was conspicuously absent of any readily found information. I got the info from the salespeople at Nintendoworld and added it to Wikipedia, and then hunted down as many online sources as I could find. (One of which was an interview by Miyamoto himself). On some levels, the view will pan out a bit so that the player(s) in the rear will still be in view. If he still doesn't catch up, he is then dragged by the edge of the screen, until he moves forward faster or is killed by a fall or other object. On vertically oriented levels, being left below the screen was said to result in death.
If one player enters a pipe, climbs a vine, grabs the flagpole at the end of the world, etc. without the others, the scene will change after a few seconds to where the leading player went, and the other(s) will then appear there. On the world map, the Mario player is the one who chooses the world.

I imagine all of you can verify that this is true.
What I we still need a definite official source for are that being left behind in a vertical world results in instant death, and that Mario always chooses the world.

This info should be added to the wiki here, also, of course.
(Is registration to the forum an automatic registration to the wiki, or are they separate?)

Eric B said:
This info should be added to the wiki here, also, of course.
(Is registration to the forum an automatic registration to the wiki, or are they separate?)
The registration is seperate, along with the different culture and users. I'm retired from the wiki, so I can't really tell what goes on in there. But, I have the game and the players left behind in a vertical level do die if there is no ground for them to land on. Also, Mario is the only player who walks around on the map (I think, may need to double check). We aren't as picky as Wikipedia, so sources for those aren't needed as they are pretty much things that are easily figured out. ;)

Yahtzee reviews New Super Mario Bros. Wii (and Left 4 Dead 2, I guess):

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/1191-Left-4-Dead-2-New-Super-Mario-Bros-Wii

I feel like Yahtzee was way too harsh on New Super Mario Bros. Wii, especially considering that there hasn't BEEN any, or rather many side-scrolling platformers these days, and the fact that he said it shouldn't exist makes me feel very angry and upset.

Yeah, he's got a point about not making progress, but then again, when most of the games these days are just 3D platformers, maybe the best way to make progress again is to go back to basics, you know?

Smashgoom202 said:
Yahtzee reviews New Super Mario Bros. Wii (and Left 4 Dead 2, I guess):

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/1191-Left-4-Dead-2-New-Super-Mario-Bros-Wii

I feel like Yahtzee was way too harsh on New Super Mario Bros. Wii, especially considering that there hasn't BEEN any, or rather many side-scrolling platformers these days, and the fact that he said it shouldn't exist makes me feel very angry and upset.

Yeah, he's got a point about not making progress, but then again, when most of the games these days are just 3D platformers, maybe the best way to make progress again is to go back to basics, you know?

Not only that, but the fact that he critiquizes it for "not making progress" is even mroe ironic considering the crapload of generic 3d shooters nowadays, which the site has reviewd.

Beaten this game 100% today.

I hate world 9: it´s a pain in the ass, and no real new content or impressive surprise or sense of achievement (just a freaking "you got 100%" message).

Also, I would have loved if there were actual rainbow stages. The closest to that we got was Rainbow Ride in SM64, and you played in rock platforms, not on the actual rainbow. I like karting in the rainbow, but some platforming on it would have kicked ass.

Still, the game is very good

Easmo said:
Beaten this game 100% today.

I hate world 9: it´s a pain in the ass.
And people were complaining the game was too easy...

Anyway, I kind of liked World 9. Plus there was a couple unique (atleast to that world) elements in there,
The Missle Bills, the fancy platforms, a crap load of enemies.

I still think it's a pretty awesome game. :)

I like the penguin suit.

The Grinch said:
I like the penguin suit.

I like how it has so many functions(and the look of it), but I'd say you could slide a bit better as Shell Mario.

Fawful Bones said:
The Grinch said:
I like the penguin suit.
I like how it has so many functions(and the look of it), but I'd say you could slide a bit better as Shell Mario.
The jumping with Shell Mario was hard to control though. The Penguin suit is the sucessor of it in that area.

Per NG

I got this game for Christmas and it is EPIC.

MOD EDIT: Your other post was too small (there's actually a rule against small, one sentence posts), so I just combined the two.

We decided at the last minute to get a Wii for ourselves for Christmas (through Dell).
One of the coolest gadgets I've ever had. Posting from it right now. Multiplayer is the best addition ever.

The towers are hard, at least the first one on world 2, with the pink fireballs, fences and spikes. These modern games require a lot of patience, with all the stuff you have to wait to line up. The original was just keep moving right and make the jumps.

I'm seeing different claims as to whether they will allow DS games to be downloaded.

Has anyone else been frustrated with the game? I dislike the fact that you can only save after each castle. Quick save sucks, in my opinion.

The game was frustrating to me at certain points, but nothing really having to do with the Save feature.

Well, I'm pretty bad at earning lives. I'm also bad at the courses(Although, I'm not very good at any video games).

Personally, I think if they can have the Super Guide thing, they can have a save feature. If someone doesn't like it, they don't have to use it. Simple as that.

I do enjoy the game though; that's my only complaint.

" " said:
Has anyone else been frustrated with the game? I dislike the fact that you can only save after each castle. Quick save sucks, in my opinion.
I get quite frustrated, for the reason mentioned. I can reiterate this, having played all 8 worlds now, and having to use the Super Guide on a few, and still trying to beat Koopa on my own.
Even when you beat the final castle with Super Guide and save it, you afterward can save at any time!
So that helps.

After doing that, I went back to try to "close" the holes where I had skipped over. (I had used warps to get up there in the first place).
7 Tower I find impassible, because of that lift which is slow, and you have to tilt it both to move sideways and to gain speed. So you're basically a sitting duck, espially in the second part with all the Bob-ombs.
8-6 is also very hard. I had looked forward to a rising lava level ever since reading about the one in DS (3 Tower, IIRC). But the lava rises vry fast in this one. (Eventually beat it on my own, however.

After I beat Koopa, then, I'll begin going back and collecting the star coins to open up World 9. I'll need help to get them all!

Eric B said:
...having to use the Super Guide on a few...
You had to use the Super Guide 0.0! I wish they had better World 9 Levels...
I want some Rainbow themed or Galaxy Themed ones...
...And gave the Star Coins a better usage or reward for getting them, World 9 isn't worth the trouble which shows that it isn't a game i need to waste hours on, the DS one on the other hand gives you Bottom Screen backgrounds, extra mushroom houses, and more levels.

Personally I loved this game. My best friend and I can play for hours and not get bored (yeah, we might be a bit nerdy, but whatever). We beat the game, but now we're going back for all of the star coins. Plus I'm trying to beat the game solo, which is proving very challenging. There's nobody to stand by in case I fall and die!

But anyways, NSMBW is amazing. My only complaint is that I wish World 9 had been rainbowy or something. The graphic of it on the World Selection Screen made me expect something totally different. Oh well, can't have everything!

predawn said:
Personally I loved this game. My best friend and I can play for hours and not get bored (yeah, we might be a bit nerdy, but whatever). We beat the game, but now we're going back for all of the star coins. Plus I'm trying to beat the game solo, which is proving very challenging. There's nobody to stand by in case I fall and die!

But anyways, NSMBW is amazing. My only complaint is that I wish World 9 had been rainbowy or something. The graphic of it on the World Selection Screen made me expect something totally different. Oh well, can't have everything!
I'm glad someone has the same exact opinion I do. I enjoyed the game alot, so I got a little ticked off with all the complaints about minor stuff. I've been playing through the entire thing solo too. Beaten worlds 1 - 8 and have all Star Coins for worlds 1 - 5.

Crackin355 said:
Eric B said:
...And gave the Star Coins a better usage or reward for getting them, World 9 isn't worth the trouble which shows that it isn't a game i need to waste hours on, the DS one on the other hand gives you Bottom Screen backgrounds, extra mushroom houses, and more levels.
What new worlds do the star coins on the DS open up? I have the game guide (though I never got the game), and I don't see where it says that.

And I was wondering if the star coins on level 9 of the Wii game open up anything, or is just for testing your skill.

I got all of worlds 1-6, and most of 7; and a few in 8.

Eric B said:
Crackin355 said:
Eric B said:
What new worlds do the star coins on the DS open up? I have the game guide (though I never got the game), and I don't see where it says that.

And I was wondering if the star coins on level 9 of the Wii game open up anything, or is just for testing your skill.

I got all of worlds 1-6, and most of 7; and a few in 8.
You use Star Coins to open up new paths to Levels like 1-A or 3-2 in NSMB

Crackin355 said:
I wish they had better World 9 Levels...
I agree D:

Back