DSi or PSP?

Which do you like more?

• DSi

Votes: 41 85.4%
  • PSP

Votes: 7 14.6%

• Total voters
Either way, I'm still sticking with the original until the very end. Why pay extra money for something, when you could get the very same thing for a much lower price?

I did it because mold ate Start and R on my original DS.
And because I'm not poor...

I'm not poor, either. It's called using good judgement. The DS Lite may have had a brighter screen and everything, but it still made little improvement from the original. In fact, that change was completely unnecessary, considering the fact that the original DS already HAD a built-in light-up screen. They wasted so much time and effort trying to improve upon things that needed no improvement whatosever, and STILL didn't change the one thing that actually NEEDED improvement, and I'm talking about the volume controls. The volume controls were fine during the days of the original Game Boy, all the way up to the Game Boy Advance. It was the SP where they got butchered, and it stayed that way in the DS, and all of its other rehashes. So, in short, no thank you. I'm happy with what I already have, and I see little to no reason to buy a DS Lite, or even a DSi, for that matter.

Bass said:
I'm not poor, either. It's called using good judgement. The DS Lite may have had a brighter screen and everything, but it still made little improvement from the original. In fact, that change was completely unnecessary, considering the fact that the original DS already HAD a built-in light-up screen. They wasted so much time and effort trying to improve upon things that needed no improvement whatosever, and STILL didn't change the one thing that actually NEEDED improvement

Guess what? They made money. Where is your "wasting time and effort" now?

and I'm talking about the volume controls. The volume controls were fine during the days of the original Game Boy, all the way up to the Game Boy Advance. It was the SP where they got butchered, and it stayed that way in the DS, and all of its other rehashes.

Do you mean the actual bar used to adjust the volume on the side of the DS/SP...?

So, in short, no thank you. I'm happy with what I already have, and I see little to no reason to buy a DS Lite, or even a DSi, for that matter.

Until your DS breaks and you see no reason to buy something that is worse in every way than its "rehashes".

Archer said:
Until your DS breaks and you see no reason to buy something that is worse in every way than its "rehashes".
Well, not every way. They sacrificed durability in the rehashes.

Fassad said:
Archer said:
Well, not every way. They sacrificed durability in the rehashes.
That is completely true.

Damn DS Lite and it's flimsy hinge. >:C I dropped it like 20 times had no damage, open it one day. Piece of the plastic covering the hinge breaks off. D:<

Bass said:
and I'm talking about the volume controls. The volume controls were fine during the days of the original Game Boy, all the way up to the Game Boy Advance. It was the SP where they got butchered, and it stayed that way in the DS, and all of its other rehashes.
I will admit that the DSi has a really dumb volume control, but that detracts an incredibly insignificant amount from the console. Also, SP > Original GBA in every respect.

Archer said:
Do you mean the actual bar used to adjust the volume on the side of the DS/SP...?
Yes, that (on the DS, however, it's at the bottom left-hand corner). From the original Game Boy, all the way up to the Game Boy Advance, there used to be a sort of knob (if that's the real word for it) to turn, and it was much easier to set it to the exact volume you wanted it to be on, without it being too loud or low. After that, it was a lot more difficult to do.

Uniju said:
Also, SP > Original GBA in every respect.
Yes, "every respect", except for the volume controls. Now that you mention it, the Game Boy Advance was the only one of those that needed to be improved, since the screen was normally too dark to see in areas that didn't have much light. The Game Boy Advance SP, I don't have a problem with, since that actually improved upon things that actually NEEDED improvement in the original. Neither the Game Boy Micro or the DS Lite did that. Pretty much any changes that those two made were completely unnecessary. In fact, the Game Boy Micro (from what I've heard) wasn't even backwards compadible like the other two were. They even had the nerve to sell that piece of crap for a higher price than the SP.

Actually, now that you mention it, yes. Something DID happen to my previous DS, and I ended up replacing it with another of the first DS model. Like I said before, I don't feel like paying extra money for something that's pretty much the EXACT SAME THING as something you could get for a much lower price.

Bass said:
Yes, "every respect", except for the volume controls.
I emphasized "every" for a reason.

You have your opinion about them, and I have mine. Let's just leave it at that.

The original Game Boy-version of "volume control" was extremely similar to the new way. Even if it wasn't, that's quite possibly the least significant thing ever.

Oh, and the Lite's smaller size makes it much more convenient to carry and the different light settings help conserve battery life. No, it's not the greatest thing ever, but neither was the original DS. By this point, both are so "old" that they cost the same amount of money. No point in not buying a Lite.

Archer said:
The original Game Boy-version of "volume control" was extremely similar to the new way. Even if it wasn't, that's quite possibly the least significant thing ever.
Not exactly.

Like I said in the other post, there was a sort of knob to turn, as opposed to the DS and SP, where there was some sort of square to move, instead. I personally thought it was much harder in those systems to get that to the volume level that you'd like it to be on, specifically, than it was for the previous Game Boy systems, but maybe that's just me. I'll always prefer the older volume controls over the newer ones for that reason. I personally don't see why they ever needed to change them to begin with. There was absolutely nothing wrong the way they were before. As the old saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it.".

I have never played a PSP, but I'm sure I would prefer the DSi over it because the PSP doesn't have any Nintendo games.

Krazy Monkey said:
In fact, the Game Boy Micro (from what I've heard) wasn't even backwards compadible like the other two were.

Erm... if it was a remake of the original Game Boy, what was there for it be to backward compatible with?

Also, I'm probably not going to get a DSi for a looong time. I had a DS and stuck with it, even though one of the hinges got damaged. Then it got somehow borked, and while it's physically together the top screen doesn't work. Sooo now I have a DS Lite.

Superchao said:
Erm... if it was a remake of the original Game Boy, what was there for it be to backward compatible with?
It was a GBA remake.

Krazy Monkey said:
I voted for the PSP, because I honestly couldn't care less about the DSi. The DSi is just another rehash of the same system, with a bunch of unnecessary features added to it. As for the downloadable games service, they have yet to actually produce/release anything that's worth buying.
March of the Minis is definitely worth downloading from DSiWare!

Back