Is Mario Sports Mix bad?

Wario's ass

King Bowser
Pronouns
He/him
People seem to dislike this game. A lot of reviews are harsh to it. I still want to try it out though for having 5 sports and really cool graphics. I'm short on Mario Sports games right now, so it seems like a really sweet deal.

I ranked it at number 68 out of 150, and have no other Mario sports games ranked above it aside from Mario Kart, so... It's my favorite Mario sports title 👍

I really like the content of the game considering how much it was trying to throw together. Controls need a bit more tightening, but it's otherwise a fun mix of games with both Mario and Final Fantasy stuff. Definitely get it, you'll get a lot more than you pay for.

I like a game a lot. The most major downside I have with it is the roster, it's a massive downgrade from Mario Hoops 3-on-3 in that we lost Dixie Kong, Birdo, Paratroopa, Boo, and Fly Guy, and who we got instead was Toad and Slime. Because you're composing teams of three you find yourself hitting against the roster limit. And what also sucks is that unlocking characters is tedious, as you have to unlock them and their alts separately across all sports. Just let me play as Blue Toad once I unlocked him in Dodgeball in other modes like Basketball, sheesh.

Also, did I forget to mention how good the game's soundtrack is? It's underrated like hell.

Yeah, the character roster certainly feels underwhelming and the pallet swap requirements are whack, but it never felt like it was a problem to me. There was enough variety there, and Slime playing any sport is hilarious XD

People seem to dislike this game. A lot of reviews are harsh to it. I still want to try it out though for having 5 sports and really cool graphics. I'm short on Mario Sports games right now, so it seems like a really sweet deal.
I enjoyed this one a lot. All 5 sports are certainly worth playing, they're not just glorified minigames as they are in Mario & Sonic, they're actually complete sports. My favorite is hockey and my least favorite is basketball, though I don't hate any sports.

This one also includes minigames too, which all of them are neat and pretty good but the co-op Volleyball rhythm one and Smash Kate are standouts to me.

The tournament mode gets legitimately tough once you progress into the Sports Mix mode (after you get all the gold equipment for the characters iirc) however, like not Mario Strikers tough, but can make you struggle.

This one has more content than Mario Penis Asses IMO, barring the horribly limited roster, probably because you can actually change the freaking match length.

if people dislike it it's probably just for roster reasons but it's a very solid game. characters are all unique to each other, you almost forgive the lacking roster.

Mario Sports Mix is one of those games where the playerbase enjoys it a lot more than reviewers do, similar to how Mystery Dungeon games have a tendency to get low scores. Don't be phased by the scores.

Last edited:
I think every sport in it is done better in other games but it's still fun for what it is.

I really enjoyed this one yeah, although I mostly played Dodgeball so I should actually go back to it one day and try to play more of the other ones.

Five sports? Are you referring to Sports Mix (Wii) or Sports Superstars (3DS)? The title says Mix but all the replies seem to be referring to Superstars...

We are indeed referring to Sports Mix. Sports Superstars has a completely different line-up of sports.
There are five sports in Sports Mix. There's the four Basketball, Volleyball, Dodgeball, and Hockey, and then there is the Sports Mix mode that mixes them together. I realize that's probably technical, though :P

If Jinborov meant to refer to Sports Superstars, then the title needs fixed, as the context is mixed.

We are indeed referring to Sports Mix. Sports Superstars has a completely different line-up of sports.
There are five sports in Sports Mix. There's the four Basketball, Volleyball, Dodgeball, and Hockey, and then there is the Sports Mix mode that mixes them together. I realize that's probably technical, though :P

If Jinborov meant to refer to Sports Superstars, then the title needs fixed, as the context is mixed.
I looked over some of the earlier posts again, and I guess I misinterpreted some things. I don't know where people are getting five sports though, Mix had only four sports and it was Superstars that had five. EDIT: I saw you were referring to Sports Mix as a sport, and that was what was confusing me as it's essentially just an expert tournament mode with all four sports. But I digress.

But if the OP is indeed referring to Mix then it's a great game and personally among my favorite Mario Sports games. Square Enix crossovers, three of the sports hadn't been done by Mario before, and all four are really fleshed out. Tournaments are insanely fun as well and there's a total of 27 to complete, so you'll be playing for a long while. I'd definitely recommend it.

Five sports? Are you referring to Sports Mix (Wii) or Sports Superstars (3DS)? The title says Mix but all the replies seem to be referring to Superstars...

...uh, did you honestly read any of the posts beyond my sister and Saltman mistakingly saying "five"? Like, Alex talked about Final Fantasy, I talked about the roster lacking characters and posted music, and my sister mentioned "Volleyball and Smash Skate".

...uh, did you honestly read any of the posts beyond my sister and Saltman mistakingly saying "five"? Like, Alex talked about Final Fantasy, I talked about the roster lacking characters and posted music, and my sister mentioned "Volleyball and Smash Skate".
I noticed some posts were definitely explicitly referring to Mix, but others I wasn't so sure about because I was mostly just scanning rather than reading. It wasn't until I actually read through the posts before I realized the error in my comment. So sorry about that.

But yes, I was mainly confused by the fact that OP said five sports.

I think every sport in it is done better in other games but it's still fun for what it is.
Within the Mario franchise though those four sports aren't done barring basketball, but Sports Mix's basketball is strongly based on Hoops 3-on-3, considering it's the same developer, why both have Final Fantasy characters.

Sure, but you know me. "Not done in Mario before" doesn't mean much to me.

LGM and I love doing this in Volleyball

Untitled.jpg

There's no equivalent sport game where beating up a team of particular characters is as satisfying.

I dunno, the Kunio Kun sports games can be really good in that regard.

Especially when it's the guy with the gun.

Back