Pre-Release Super Mario RPG screenshot

64-Bit Nintendo Machine

64 Bits of Power!
While looking through my Nintendo Power collection, I noticed a beta screenshot of Mario RPG in the November '95 issue.

Key differences:

It seems that "A" was going to be the special attack button instead of "Y" because A is the button being pressed in this version and it says "Special" with L being cropped out by the text box alongside a spade icon next to one of Mario's special attacks, the name is written in Japanese so it's hard to discern what it says.

Originally, the health bar was going to show Flower Points instead of just Heart Points in the final release. It was also possible that characters were going to have their own individual FP as opposed to sharing it amongst themselves in the final game. I could tell it was Flower Points because of a pink flower next to the value alongside a pink heart next to the HP value.

Minor differences:

The graphics are much simpler than in the final game with the Sky Troopas having smaller beaks.

Can you send a pic?

Unfortunately, this picture cannot be found anywhere on the internet because it was taken in November of 1995.

Back