Goombuigi Ranks 30 Mario Games

personally i really liked the pixls, because i found it really interesting that they allowed you to do things you couldn't do before in a platformer (super paper mario was my first mario rpg and the only other one i knew about back then was bowser's inside story) and on the one hand you could use them to progress and solve puzzles but they could also be used for combat. like how dottie is used in 5-4 to get to secret areas and you need her to move on, but she's also really useful in combat for staying out of enemy sight.

You heard that right, folks. Did you think that this thread was captured within the depths of time? You were wrong! You see, Goombuigi never gives up! Never, I tell you! And I have returned, once again, after days, weeks, months, YEARS -

Ahem. Ok, I'm sorry for abandoning this, June was a busy month, and I had other things on my mind, but now, I'm here to complete the second half of this! Here we go!

Super Mario Bros.

Look, look, look, I know that this is the best-selling Mario game of all time, I know that this is the first Super Mario game, I know that this is an influential video game, but hear me out. This game .... It hasn't aged the best. I mean, I wouldn't expect anything less from a 35-year old game. But all the same, it amazed me how much of that classic formula is retained today. Just look at New Super Mario Bros. Deluxe, or Super Mario Maker 2. The core concept, the basic mechanics, they are the exact same.

The setting is quite simple, but brand new for the time. Mario and his brother Luigi venture into the Mushroom Kingdom, where they find out that Princess Peach is kidnapped by the evil Koopa King, Bowser. Travelling across eight worlds, with four levels courses each, Mario encounters enemies, coins, and ? Blocks, which contain either a shiny coin, or a yummy mushroom / flower / star. Sound old? Keep in mind, all of this was new here. Before, the games were infinite, didn't have a scrolling screen, but that changed dramatically with this game. It was the first to introduce Princess Peach, Bowser, and even the cute little Goombas. It was a revolutionary start of a new era for Mario.

But of course, there are limitations too. The fact that Mario cannot go backwards is a bit irritating, time literally flies by here, and the courses are shorter than I might want them to be. Not too short, but short enough to make a difference. The graphics are iconic, who can forget about that Mario sprite? Same with the music, that 1-1 jingle never gets old. Speaking of 1-1, that is, to me, the most memorable Mario course of all time.

In conclusion, SMB is an iconic game that can still be enjoyed today. You can't get that experience that you would've gotten in the 80's, that time has passed, but it's still a gem that is a permanent part of Mario's history.

ProsCons
- many iconic introductions
- still fun to play today
- set the Mario universe in stone
- doesn't compare to future games
- some mechanics aged poorly

why did you choose smb1 over nmsbu if not for smb1 being so revolutionary?

1. It did the formula first.
2. It had a bigger impact on Mario and gaming.
3. For a 35-year old game, it holds up well.
4. It is referenced in many other Mario games.
5. It's iconic (due to the references and it being first).

The way I would put it is that, at the time, the game meant a lot, and even now, it still means a lot (evidenced by its countless references). And although it aged well, other games (even SMB3) are inevitably superior to it, due to age.

As for New Super Mario Bros. U, that didn't sell super well, being on the Wii U, there are few new ideas, and it's too similar to New Super Mario Bros. Wii. And also, not too many memories of it stick in my head, while SMB 1-1 is engraved in my head at this point. So, the way SMB holds up today makes it iconic in many ways.

Super Mario 3D Land

Super Mario 3D Land was a great game. It had a lot of content, with sixteen worlds (you heard read that right), three star coins in each course, and a lot to do to 100% it. However, 3D Land is a bit of a mixed bag for me. It's not bad by any means, just a little underwhelming for a 3D Mario game.

Keep in mind, I had played this after Super Mario 3D World, Super Mario Galaxy, and Super Mario 64, and compared with all of those, 3D Land is the least grand-feeling. It's understandable, considering that it's on a handheld system, but look at the Nintendo Switch and its 3D game and don't tell me that that one is less impressive than 3D Land. Sure, it's a better handheld, but it only came out six years later. OK, rant over, now, onto the actual game.

3D Land introduces a new type of gameplay for 3D Mario. The best way to describe it is "it's a 3D Mario game which plays like a 2D Mario game", meaning that it's linear, the player goes from point A to B, there are traditional power-ups etc. Is that bad? No. But is it less impressive? Generally, yes, especially compared to Super Mario 64 DS, an open-world game. Now, don't get me wrong, I like the 2D Mario gameplay, but 3D Mario games were praised for having an open-world gameplay.

The levels in this game, while fun, are usually quite short. This is made up by the inclusion of Star Coins, and other challenges for the player to complete, such as reaching the top of the flagpole, or completing the level with both Mario and Luigi. And while being a nice inclusion, the challenges can get tedious. The inclusion of eight special worlds, alongside the eight standard worlds, is appreciated as well, since it prolongs play time. However, I would appreciate if there would be more levels in each world, instead of only five or so.

The controls are tight and smooth, just as I would want them to be in a linear Mario game. The graphics are good, and the music is pleasant, something that is generally not a problem in most Mario games. This is one of the very rare games that uses the capabilities of 3D, quite cleverly too. And it doesn't hinder the main gameplay either, in fact, it assists the controls, as the depth perception is enhanced this way.

Overall, Super Mario 3D Land is a pleasant game to play through, but don't expect it to be as big of a deal as the other 3D Mario games, instead, think of it as a 3D version of the New Super Mario Bros. series.

ProsCons
- fun to play
- many challenges to complete
- short levels, short worlds
- not as "grandiose" as other 3D Mario games

Back