King K. Rool's exclusion from Super Smash Bros. Brawl

SolarBlaze

Guardian of the Sol Emeralds.
Retired Wiki Staff
Am I the only one who's not okay with this? I've been a fan of the Donkey Kong Country series for over ten years now, and words don't even begin to describe how pissed off I am about it. Seriously, they made SO many blatant references to the Kremling king; Whether it's his own trophy, Wrinkly's trophy, the Gangplank Galleon theme song, his name appearing in the random name selection, etc. As far as I can tell, there's pretty much no excuse whatsoever as to why he wasn't in it.

King K. Rool is the most overrated excluded Brawl character ever. I have never once understood the hype over him.

Sakurai is an incompetent game developer. He doesn't care about what his fans want, he admitted that Melee was just a fluke, and he took everything that made Melee so great out of Brawl. Which is why Brawl sucks.

Brie Loader said:
Maybe because Nintendo doesn't care about you Donkey Kong Country freaks anymore?
Judging from the blatant disregard they showed for him, I'd say that you're actually right. Also, let's not forget Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, which had very little to do with the Donkey Kong Country series; Apparently, because it's "not fresh enough for today". What a load of crap. They sure don't seem to have a problem with reusing the same Bowser kidnaps the princess storyline over and over again, which has been happening since 1985, and then they couldn't include characters from a series that debuted in 1994?

SolarBlaze said:
Brie Loader said:
Maybe because Nintendo doesn't care about you Donkey Kong Country freaks anymore?
Judging from the blatant disregard they showed for him, I'd say that you're actually right. Also, let's not forget Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, which had very little to do with the Donkey Kong Country series; Apparently, because it's "not fresh enough for today". What a load of crap. What a load of crap. They sure don't seem to have a problem with reusing the same Bowser kidnaps the princess storyline over and over again, which has been happening since 1985, and then they couldn't include characters from a series that debuted in 1994?
Wait, you're mad that Jungle Beat isn't a clone of a game that was made famous mainly because it had better graphics than most other games of its day?

No, no. That's not what I'm saying at all. Don't get me wrong- I actually like Jungle Beat. It's very fun to play. The only problem I have with it (aside from the fact that it was kind of short), is the fact that they pretty much went out of their way to exclude everything that previous games brought to the series; such as Diddy Kong, the Kremlings, etc. They even made certain characters that blatantly could have been the ones from the Country series, such as Hoofer (which could have been Rambi), Orco (which could have been Enguarde), and so forth.

SolarBlaze said:
No, no. That's not what I'm saying at all. Don't get me wrong- I actually like Jungle Beat. It's very fun to play. The only problem I have with it (aside from the fact that it was kind of short), is the fact that they pretty much went out of their way to exclude everything that previous games brought to the series;

And even there, that wouldn't have been so bad if the game producer didn't state that the development team did it because the DKC characters weren't "fresh enough". And then he said that because of that, he only kept "Donkey Kong and the Bananas". Yes, Nintendo consider the Bananas to be characters.

Also, I feel the need to address this point.
$‡¥₲Ú¥27 said:
What exactly is so great about K. Rool?
I think K. Rool really stands out as a villain, because his plots would always get more and more serious after each game. First, he was focused on the banana hoard (and even ended up kidnapping Donkey Kong and holding him for ransom). After that, he seems to have lost interest in Donkey Kong's banana hoard and instead turned his efforts to world domination (in Donkey Kong Country 3). He did steal it again in 64, but that was only so he could distract that Kongs while his minions constructed that "Blast-O- Matic" cannon so that he could destroy Donkey Kong Island.

I think he really stands out personality-wise, too. Mainly in Donkey Kong 64, where he was shown to be extremely sinister, evil, and intimidating, even to the point where his henchmen were scared of him. Those are the qualities that make up a good villain in my opinion. I also liked the different aliases/alter-egos he had in every installment of the Donkey Kong Country series, as well as the abilities he uses in combat. I think he definitely would have made a good addition to Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I've always wanted to see him duke it out with someone like Bowser, but that all went down the drain, simply because they decided NOT to include him.

Brie Loader said:
$‡¥₲Ú¥27 said:
King K. Rool is the most overrated excluded Brawl character ever. I have never once understood the hype over him.
What about Gena or whoever the f*ck that random final fantasy NPC was? .-.
You mean Geno and Sepiroth/Cloud?

Pretty much Geno's never going to return, so he'll be wanted in for a long time...

Until we die or Nintendo.

And pretty much F-Zero needs another character.

We are always gonna miss some of our favourites in every Smash Bros game, so, at least, my only requirement for the next one (which watching the pattern will be made in like 5 or 6 years), is to not have any series with only one character. Uber-retro series like game and watch, gyromite and ice climbers are excluded off this rule since they don´t really have any other characters to use, so even if they keep their own symbols, they could still be tied under the "retro" series... but still, Ridley NEEDS to be a fighter and therefore a second Metroid character, and same goes for F-Zero and Black Shadow and/or Samurai Goroh.

Also, K. Rool needs to get in too.

PS: Is it me or Brawl is awesome on the heavy character population? I mean, almost every Nintendo multiplayer game follows the pattern of splitting the characters according to their size and/or weight, and most lickely, heavy characters are the less common ones, but in Brawl there are a fuckton of heavy characters: Ike, Bowser, Wario, ROB, DK, etc

Stop.

King K. Rool deserves to be in a SSB game. Sure, he's not as well-recognized as Bowser or maybe even Ganon, but he's the main villain from a fairly popular series of games. You can't tell me they couldn't have squeezed him in Brawl.

$†øøߥ said:
You can't tell me they couldn't have squeezed him in Brawl.
I would have much rather seen K.Rool than R.O.B, Toon Link, or Wolf. Those 3 are the only problems I have with the roster of included characters.

Crow T. Robot said:
$†øøߥ said:
I would have much rather seen K.Rool than R.O.B, Toon Link, or Wolf. Those 3 are the only problems I have with the roster of included characters.
I agree. Toon Link...who wants more than one Link? If the original sucks, just improve upon him; don't make a second Link. R.O.B....he didn't really fit. At all. Wolf; one Fox clone is enough, let alone two.

King K. Rool, Ridley, and K.K. Slider really should have been in. (Many disagree with K.K., but it could have worked out.)

Also, there's too many Pogeymanz in Brawl.

$†øøߥ said:
Crow T. Robot said:
$†øøߥ said:
I agree. Toon Link...who wants more than one Link?
Fangirls. :P
$†øøߥ said:
King K. Rool, Ridley, and K.K. Slider really should have been in. (Many disagree with K.K., but it could have worked out.)
Bowser Jr. would also have worked out well. Technically the Mario franchise didn't get a new character, since Diddy Kong and Wario are representing their own series. More villains are always a good thing.

$†øøߥ said:
King K. Rool deserves to be in a SSB game. Sure, he's not as well-recognized as Bowser or maybe even Ganon, but he's the main villain from a fairly popular series of games. You can't tell me they couldn't have squeezed him in Brawl.
Exactly. Especially with all the blatant references they made to him (which I listed on the first page), along with the fact that they had BOWSER stealing Donkey Kong's banana hoard. You can't even tell me that isn't a blatant disregard for him right there.

I am Zero! Well he is a little obscure to be in the SSB series, but, yes, i do agree, he does deserve to be in a SSB game :posh:. He is like the bowser of the DK series but being more idiotic. I even made a move for him:

Down Special: Krool Bomb (exactley like Bowser Bomb)

His side special can probably be Flying Slam ( :bowser:'s Side Special), because I made a new side special for :bowser:.

Zero signing out.

Back