What would you want out of a new 2D Mario game?

they should just fix the water levels to begin with; Rayman Origins made the water levels actually fun so it can definitely be done.
nitrorad did a video on why we hate water levels and its got a point! it says that bad water levels slow down things too much and also limit you too much, besides other things. mario water levels are certainly slow so thats a problem! rayman on the other hand is just as fast underwater and the controls make it super satisfying
so yea mario (even 3d mario i feel) could def learn something from it

Mario's case is worsened that Mario has pretty much no way of attacking enemies aside from Fire Balls (Yoshi in Super Mario World too). In some Mario games, there's also a limit how long you can spend underwater too. Thing is, why not make Mario mobile underwater as much as he is in land? Water can be less restricted than land because there's no overwhelming amount of gravity. Mario sinks like a rock and his swimming animation is awkward as hell.

I wonder if the video shows Rayman Origins to be an exception. In that game Rayman can move in any direction, moves at a reasonable speed when dashing, can dash to go faster, attack enemies and also get a speed boost when attacking. One thing I do have to say are the enemies aren't too aggressive, nowhere near like Bloopers, but there are still fish that can hit you with a trident, spiky tentacles, and there are darkness levels where claws can attack you if you're not in the light. But still nice levels.

I didn't count Rayman Legends because I think Origins has more levels focused underwater.

Reactions: zel
yea he mentions legends actually. 20000 lums while is more on land than sea of serendipity is still has plenty of water you can swim in
the enemies not being too agressive thing is unievrsal for the entire game honestly lmao

Never bothered me personally. Besides characters have a hilarious reaction when they get hit too, so that makes up for it. But the thing about passive enemies that's something the next game can try to develop more.... if they're not focused on that damn Beyond Good & Evil game that's been holding up the games and maybe stop making those mobile ones.

What I would do:

Visuals - If 2D, give it that anime style that Wario Land: Shake It! had (but now in HD, obviously) or like the art they use for promotional Mario content in general. If 3D, maybe like the 3D World style from Super Mario Maker 2, but polished up a bit more.

Story - Now a very interesting story would be nice, but at the very least give us a little more than the NSMB games did. The original Super Mario Bros. trilogy and Super Mario World may have had simple stories compared to like say the RPGs, but there was definitely more going on in it than "save Peach, stop Bowser; go!" I'd have some cutscenes added in too. The obligatory opening and ending sequences of course, but maybe some in between each World as you progress through the game, and some short banter before boss battles. And yes, I'd finally give Mario some lines to say. They did it for Fortune Street, so why not here?

Level Design - Well, moreso themes than designs, but while I'd fine with a couple twists on the usual world themes, maybe add a few that are uncommon, like a giant city or maybe an entire haunted valley where the Castle level is instead one huge Ghost House! Oh, and a Star world with levels that actually fit the visuals of the world map; that was one of my biggest nitpicks with the New Super Mario Bros. games...!

And maybe a multiplayer mode where you race across levels you clear in the game; you could even give it online functionality!

Back