What are your notable Mario experiences this decade?

Emulation on a PC is resource heavy. You'll need a pretty strong PC to run them nicely even though computers are a lot stronger. You may not achieve always perfect speeds and even if your PC is top notch, emulation quality for some games do differ. Also, you need some USB controller to have the best experience, which I use an Xbox controller or a Switch Pro controller with Steam account configuration. You can also use bluetooth, I think, for Wii controllers. Also, on Wii U, that gamepad has to be emulated, and on Wii you have to map something to motion controls, and it's not super intuitive from my experience. Finally, ISOs eat up a lot of space on the PC, and obtaining ISOs can be tricky and illegal in the first place because there's a lot of cites sharing that stuff, some of them not legitimate and can look fishy with "free download". So it's a lot easier to just get an SD card and modify the console (with your fears being generally exaggerated), and you can actually protect your console better since you now have access to NAND backups (and Nintendo.has bricked consoles with their updates, see one infamous Wii update).

I think precautions would be just to avoid future updates since they are generally aimed at removing Homebrew. You can disable internet, block Nintendo's internet with a particular DNS. But aside from that, I guess in precautions, no, but make sure what software you want to install is legit, not given through random users on Discord. But in the end, this is completely legal.

Also it's easy to dump ISOs. You might need to decrypt it and stuff to open folders that you need to mod in the first place, but you'll have to do this to any downloaded ISOs. And it's "less" dubious than downloading an ISO (without using a VPN) since there's no way they know you're dumping a game.
I have the Super Book of Mario mod for SPM running on my PC and it can get slow in parts (I do tend to use HD though) but on the whole it's not bad at all.

Never sucessfully loaded a game on Cemu but on Dolphin, I can get satisfactory results from emulating the motion controls. I use just a K&M, or sometimes my X360 controller. At some point I'm getting a PS4 controller which will be great because that has motion controls and a touchpad.

I have a 128gb ssd and I have enough for a few games, but if I wanted lots, yeah that would be a problem.

Again, I can't post any illegal links, but some quick internet links can locate an iso for most games which I believe to be safe, and can be scanned to make sure. I have downloaded multiple ROMs from online without a VPN and nothing has happened to me, worst case scenario I might get a letter from my ISP telling me to stop. I am going to get a VPN soon to be extra careful.

I've looked at the guides online and it looks pretty complicated, but I could manage, I just don't see much of a need.

I said in my earlier post, I don't think ripping and downloading are that legally distinct so long as you own the game already in both cases, but even if they are, that doesn't matter, because I regard them as ethically equal, in both cases, fine.

Last edited:
You might have all that, but others might not. Computers that can run emulation smoothly are not extremely cheap, especially since you need the appropriate graphics card and processor for it.

Yes they are legally distinct. Downloading ISOs is illegal, period. Ethically, however, it doesn't matter to me.

Downloading ISOs is illegal, period.
Objection fair use

"""
A common argument online is that extracting a ROM from a cartridge you own is perfectly legal, but downloading ROMs from the web is a crime. Devices like the $60 Retrode let anyone extract a Super Nintendo or Sega Genesis game over USB, and state their legality over downloads as a key selling point. After all, ripping a CD you own with iTunes or other software is broadly considered legal, at least in the United States.

So is ripping a ROM you own any different than downloading one? Probably not, says Bambauer: "In both cases what you're doing is creating an additional copy."

Now, Bambauer could imagine constructing an argument about how one is different than the other, and he admits the optics are different. But he doesn't think the two situations are all that distinct, legally speaking.

"I think if the argument is, if I were a skilled engineer, I could extract this and have a copy," said Bambauer. "If we assume, for a moment, that if I did that it would be fair use, then it shouldn't be different."
"""

Again though it doesn't matter even if that article is wrong.
And that's US law which isn't the same as UK where I live. From what I've read about copyright in the UK, it seems that both ripping and downloading are illegal period. But idc.

2010: The Early Days - I was roughly thirteen-years-old at the time and absolutely adored the Mario series, I took my DSiXL practically everywhere I went and Bowser's Inside Story was firmly planted into the cartridge slot for most of the time.

2011: Goodbye Dial-Up and Hello WiFi - Throughout the mid-to-late 2000s I was heavily restricted on what I could do on the internet due to having a sluggish dial-up connection and a Windows 95 desktop that even then had seen it's better days, my old man wasn't really the most tech savvy person but thankfully he did finally upgrade to WiFi which basically opened the door for endless possibilities. One of the first things that I did was rewatch all the episodes of SMBZ and a bunch of Mario flash animations on NewGrounds.

Also I received a 3DS on my birthday that year as well.

2012: Enter the Wii U - My memory of 2012 is a little foggy, but I remember getting a Wii U for Christmas and also being severely disappointed in Sticker Star.

2013: The Year of Luigi :luigi: - This was a pretty fun little event looking back, celebrating Luigi and delivering on not only a sequel to his spin-off but also a entire Mario and Luigi game that puts a particular spotlight on him and of course NSLU.

2014: Discovering MarioBoards - I joined here October 24th of 2014 (on my original account), for the longest time I didn't even know that the Mario Wiki had a forum.

2015/2016: Nano the Edgelord - Not gonna lie, I feel like I came off as a jerk just about everywhere I went during this time.

2017/2018: Switchin' It Up - Despite initially being a little miffed when Nintendo stopped support for the Wii U, they certainly made up for it in a big way with the Switch and the long chain bombastic showstoppers and indie diamonds in the rough.

2019: Here We Are In the Future - It's been mostly a mixed year with highs and lows for me so far.

Last edited:
Back