Do you support multiple fighters from the same 3rd party franchise?

Dorayaki

King Bowser
*In case you ask, of course not counting alts and echos

I've been hearing suggestions about inserting more Sonic, Street Fighters and Final Fantasy characters within the same game. Just I'm very aware that such suggestion is still controversial and not well-acepted now, at least it hasn't been officially recognized.

While I do like many video game characters from different companies. I'm not supportive of the idea of making them in Smash which has given a clear purpose.

First, let's compare them to all the competitors we have on hand:

1) More unused 3rd party franchises:
Before we move on to more 3rd parties like Ubisoft, KOEI or Activision, the current 3rd parties might also want to advetise their other IPs over putting another character from their presented franchise. Such as, it seems unwise for SEGA to put another Sonic or Bayonetta character when they could just put in AiAi or Kazuma to advertise a different IP.of their own.

2) More unused Nintendo franchises:
This is of course the closest to the main purpose to Smash bros. I don't need to say which one is the winner.

3) More characters from the presented Nintendo franchises:
I think this is a very close comparison. It seems contradictory in Nintendo's perspective since some of their presented franchises still only has one fighter (Warioware, Splatoon, Xenoblade etc). It just seems weird to ignore the local franchsies and go give the 3rd party more treats.
Yes, such as I admit that between Chunli and Pyra, Chunli is much more iconic and popular to the game industry, but I would not think that makes Pyra less qualified for a fighter slot in Smash bros.

Aside from the comparison, the main reason I don't think Smash bros is a place for this suggestion is that, there are actually other games can be the better candidate:

1) The home allstars games:
Clearly SNK, Capcom and SEGA all have done their own allstars games for their own characters and IPs before. They are the counterparts to Smash bros for Nintendo, and are the real "home" to the secondary characters from every 3rd party franchise can easily fit in. People want 2nd rep from 3rd party not entirely because "the home companies don't give chances so I can only rely on Smash bros", but rather that "I want my favorite character to go to everywhere".

I think the contradiction is, what if allowing 2nd rep of 3rd party franchises happens in all the crossover games from every company? Today, we can put Tails in Smash bros over Riki, so what if in the next SEGA allstars game Riki is put over Tails for the same reason? Would the local SEGA fans really feel happy about that result even if they also made same request to Smash bros?

2) Direct versus themed games.
Clearly we all know Sonic and Mario have been in rivalry outside Smash bros for multiple times, yes, I mean the Olympics titles. This game has fulfilled the wish for people to see "secondary characters from different companies to compete", such as Eggman, Tails and Amy can compete againt Bowser, Luigi and Peach. We also have some crossover games using companies as themes, like Marvel vs. Capcom and Project X Zone.

I probably know some may question "these are not Smash!" "these are not fighting games!" and I can agree that. However, unless all the 3rd party companies work further into a bigger video game project so that NIntendo can integrate all the resource together, it'd be really hard for Smash bros to deal with all the IPs on hand at one time. At this point, Smash bros is still very restricted within how much it can do.

On the other hand, if Smash 6 reboots the roster, I think franchsies like Dragon Quest and Persona can try to nominate a new protagonist from their newest game title, which would be a new franchise rep but doesn't creates conflicts with previous one which has been replaced.

if that means we get a playable eggman in smash then count me in

I've always wanted Tails so of course I do. Just it looks like it's unlikely to go beyond echoes for Ultimate and hell the most obvious choice for a Sonic series echo (Shadow) didn't even make the cut.

And it's probably more fair to make the DLC as diverse as possible, cause say that somehow Tails did make it in as DLC. It only benefits Sega (Who also already has 3 Characters alone. Sonic, Bayonetta, and Joker) and Sonic fans who likely already have the game because Sonic is in it. Compared to collaboration with a company that didn't have a rep yet, it's not as beneficial.

There's always next game, but next game is full of questions. We aren't getting the full Ultimate roster, we just aren't.

I mean why not?

EW SONIC IN NO TAILS NOT ALLOWED GUH

Compared to collaboration with a company that didn't have a rep yet, it's not as beneficial.
Yeah, I believe that is the core of the problem. Putting multiple fighters isn;t the most beneficial option.

I think the next game better try to focus on a newer generation of existed franchises so that it wouldn't bother too much. Maybe a new FF and Persona protagonist from the newest title.

I mean why not?
Well, when a choice is made, the opportunity is gone for all other characters. It's' all about whether the right choice is made.

Last edited:
Back