Things that grind my gears.

64-Bit Nintendo Machine

64 Bits of Power!
1. Every time I post a new elimination game, people swarm it and by the time I try to post there, it's already been completed!

2. People who troll others for no reason.

3. EVERY GODDAMN TIME MARIO TENNIS DOESN'T DISPLAY DUE TO THE MOTHERFUCKING PIN CONNECTORS.

4. People who hate old games.

Anime is mostly superior to Manga.

6. People who shit on games, movies, or anything without knowing anything about said thing, wether they're right or not.

7. YFJ's hatred of all old games and his assumption that anybody who even mentions an old game is an inferior stupid who just likes old games

8. The fact that every time I look in a mirror I see myself staring back at me

9. Loud noises

7. YFJ's hatred of all old games and his assumption that anybody who even mentions an old game is an inferior stupid who just likes old games
11. People who jump to irrational conclusions when I neither said nor implied that I hated older games

That post is just...wrong. On all measures.

No, I think old retro classics are cool. I've really enjoyed playing through various NES and SNES classics on Switch, despite never having those games growing up. It's just that some have aged better than others, and I've been disappointed more than a few times playing a well-received old game only to find that it hasn't stood the test of time.

Frankly I've seen even more bias towards older games than newer games. People seem to want to compare games based on how good they were for their time, which favors older games every single time. No, I don't want to be recommended a game based on how good it was in the 90s. I want comparison on how well it stands today compared to modern games like it.

I don't have anything against old games. I just don't have any favorable bias towards them, and I'm not afraid to accept the sequel's general tendency to improve.

Yes but like every time somebody says they prefer an older game you immediately assume it's because they have bias towards older games

This has happened many times

Sometimes there are opinions I just don't understand. I don't understand why people seem to prefer the first Galaxy to the second, or why a lot of people still prefer the original Luigi's Mansion to the sequel Dark Moon, or why so many people prefer Mario 3 and 4 to the NSMB games. Sometimes I instantly went to assuming bias just because of that.

Looking back, I was probably fresh off the hot mess known as Super Mario RPG, a rather big letdown for me that forever changed my outlook on older games. That moment when I realized just how biased the reviews I saw of that game were...it probably bled into how I viewed other older games too.

Ultimately though, since then I've accepted that bias isn't just real, but inevitable. That it's something I have as well, and that I just have the ability to overcome a lot of it. That people have opinions and I have different opinions, and that I shouldn't decide my opinions based on somebody else's. And that ultimately, I just have to deal with it.

I apologize if anything I said in the past hurt anyone's feelings. But ultimately, what's past is past and I just don't stand by any of that anymore.

Frankly I've seen even more bias towards older games than newer games. People seem to want to compare games based on how good they were for their time, which favors older games every single time. No, I don't want to be recommended a game based on how good it was in the 90s. I want comparison on how well it stands today compared to modern games like it.
I think this is an interesting and important point, but it's worth considering the other side of the coin: if games are compared solely by how they play today with no regards towards what new things they did for the industry or the time period they were made in, new games are a majority of the time. For example, compare Super Mario Bros. 1 to any of the New Super Mario Bros. games. If they are compared solely on their own merits, any NSMB game is gonna win with no contest because all the mechanics and the technology are vastly superior and they just play better. But if you consider the impact of SMB1 on the industry and how revolutionary it was for its time, things aren't so clear cut. Suddenly, SMB1 feels like it's on much more even ground compared to, say, NSMB2, which relied on the advancements of all the games before it to get to the point where it is and made very few advancements of its own. Therefore, I think the best approach to take when comparing old games to new games is to take both viewpoints into account. Compare them by how they play today, but also take into account what the landscape of the industry was when they were made and any advancements they might have made in it. Personally, I would rank SMB1 a lot higher than NSMB2 because of the former's great acheivements (and still playing fairly well today) compared to the latter's unoriginality, but I think Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is a much better game than Super Mario Kart because the former plays great today and the latter does not. It can be hard to compare old and new games, but balancing the two viewpoints is key.

On another note, this thread is kinda redundant with the 1,000,000 things we hate! thread.

Back