Reggie retiring as NOA president, Doug Bowser to take over duties

Well, from what I've been told Doug is primarily responsible for the Switch's successful marketing campaigns so that's a start right there.

Mcmadness said:
Well, from what I've been told Doug is primarily responsible for the Switch's successful marketing campaigns so that's a start right there.
(this is in case it's in response to the post I did)

The thing with a person's achievements is that not every casual person will know it unless every other fan keeps bragging about what Doug did. Also it's not necessarily associated with the fun side of the person in question, which is something quite a few of Nintendo's guys managed to do, even Satoru Shibata (example: his Phoenix Wright hairstyle and posing). Although it's not as common as a few years back, we still have a few instances of this happening, like Nogami wearing a lab coat when he appears during Splatoon-related events (Splatoon's social media presence has a scientific vibe to it, such as the Squid Research Lab tumblr).

I'm not really referring to a person's achievements, but the things the person do that remind us of how fun and silly video games are. As an example we have Iwata and Reggie performing choreography (Super Smash 4's Mii Fighters trailer), Iwata's bananas, Reggie's "body is ready" or even the American Yokai Watch segment featuring Bill Trinen and Reggie. In this case, and with no disrespect to Doug Bowser, the only memorable thing Doug Bowser had going with him is his association with Bowser of Mario fame. I guess this is enough for him, and in this case his legacy has written itself.

Thank you for reading.

There is a thought I am currently having: it doesn't seem all that common to refer to the new NOA president by his first name Doug, but it's more common to refer to him by his last name. This is fascinating because we refer to Reggie by his first name, but you don't really call him by his last name. Even Shuntaro Furukawa refers to Reggie as Reggie rather than Mr. Fils-Aime, which indicates that there is respect and endearment in using his first name. One way to look at it is that his last name is more memorable for being associated with the Koopa king of Mario fame, though it could also be because the King Koopa himself has already build up a reputation that it's very easy for Doug to reap the benefits of being associated with the main villain of Mario.

In other words, Nintendo Life's article articulated what I thought about it better than I could:
And as you can see from this very article, we're all on a first-name basis with the outgoing President. ‘Mr Fils-Aimé’ would sound ridiculous; he’s Reggie, the Regginator, our Fils-Amigo, the Big Man, the Top Dog.

Even Nintendo’s worldwide President, Shuntaro Furukawa, used his first name to thank him in a statement:

Shuntaro Furukawa said:
I really appreciate everything Reggie has done for Nintendo. Inside and outside our company, Reggie is known as an exceptional leader.

Yes, it’s likely mandated by Reggie himself and the PR department who’s spent years turning him into your friendly neighbourhood President of NoA, but for the Japanese side of the company, the informality is still unprecedented. Can you imagine Miyamoto-san getting a ‘Thanks Shigsy’ message on the day when – god forbid – he announces his retirement?

Reggie’s carefully-crafted personality is something that Doug (see, it sounds weird) obviously hasn’t had time to build just yet. Hopefully he recognises this and won't dive head first into zany, meme-friendly territory. That'll surely come, but being too familiar initially probably won't go down well while his predecessor lingers in the minds of gamers.

Odd as it may be, that surname is incredibly helpful in endearing him to fans very quickly, as well as giving reporters on news sites the world over an easy 'in' for their story. This year's Nintendo Direct at E3 will be the first big PR test for Bowser. Everything until now indicates he's got the skills to succeed in front of an audience, although there’s still a long way to go before we can imagine Furukawa-san thanking ‘Dougie’ for his long years of devoted service, and longer still until writing sentences like ‘E3 will be the first big PR test for Bowser’ doesn’t elicit the tiniest grin.

Thank you for reading.

winstein said:
Even Shuntaro Furukawa refers to Reggie as Reggie rather than Mr. Fils-Aime,
that's actually because nobody knows how to pronounce his last name and are too afraid to ask at this point

John Barrowman said:
winstein said:
that's actually because nobody knows how to pronounce his last name and are too afraid to ask at this point
I would be interested in a source for this assertion, because the material I read doesn't indicate this. For one, although articles did mentioned that he "said" it, it's in text form so I don't know where to look for when it comes to him actually saying it. Don't get me wrong: I am not doubting you since the pronunciation of the name can be tricky, but I just want to make sure that what you said is right. (That is, unless you're joking or speculating)

Thank you for reading.

I've heard his last name pronounced enough to where I don't think it's an issue. Unless it's mispronounced every time I heard it. Is it not pronounced "Feez-amay?"

winstein said:
John Barrowman said:
winstein said:
I would be interested in a source for this assertion, because the material I read doesn't indicate this. For one, although articles did mentioned that he "said" it, it's in text form so I don't know where to look for when it comes to him actually saying it. Don't get me wrong: I am not doubting you since the pronunciation of the name can be tricky, but I just want to make sure that what you said is right. (That is, unless you're joking or speculating)

Thank you for reading.

Obviously a joke is obvious.

Fawfulthegreat64 said:
I've heard his last name pronounced enough to where I don't think it's an issue. Unless it's mispronounced every time I heard it. Is it not pronounced "Feez-amay?"

Yes, that's how it's pronounced.

Also Fils Aimé means loved son. Put that in mind.

Lakituthequick said:
Long John Spaghetti said:
Isabelle said:
Fils Aimé means loved son.

No *bleep*.
Do tell how anyone without knowledge of French should have known that.

I was referring to how Reggie is well loved.

Ce sujet est devenu très pénible à lire.

Too much TARB in here.

Back