I'm a beginner and wish to share my tunes

MattMVS7

Monty Mole
Edit: I was in the process of learning music theory lessons and I thought some knowledge was good enough. Apparently, it's not. I think I must go all the way and have a complete and thorough understanding of music theory before I jump right into composing music for others to listen to. Now, I do think the melodies I'm creating in my head are great and I just have to learn how to convey their power and greatness. As I said before, our brains are naturally capable of creating great works of art in our heads even if you are a complete novice who has no knowledge and experience whatsoever in any field of art.

If any average person were to have a dream and we were to somehow record that person's dream, the images and/or music in that dream would be a great work of art to share. This shows our brains are naturally capable of creating whole new, great works of art in our heads. I think I'm the equivalent of someone who has naturally created a good drawing in his own head, but sucks at drawing it. I think the tunes in my head are great. But, I suck at conveying them. Also, I didn't dream of these tunes. I came up with them through inspiration alone.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

I think I'm naturally creating great music in my head and I've learned some things about music theory to start making music in the real, physical world. I'm starting off with simple, short tunes that I think others would love and find catchy. I think such tunes are good enough for now because there are simple, short tunes out there that are great and catchy. Haven't you ever heard of one? I'm quite sure you have. An example would be the Frosted Flakes tune which has the lyrics: "Frosted Flakes are more than good. They're great!"

I think I'm creating simple, great tunes like this. Another example of a simple, great tune would be a tune you'd hear when a character in a video game acquires a 1-up (extra life). I've created my own video game tune. It's not the type of tune that would play when a character earns an extra life. It's one of those chorus tunes like the Frosted Flakes tune. My tune would be for the video game Sonic the Hedgehog. It could very well be a tune used for a Sonic commercial. It would be used for a commercial featuring Super Sonic (which is Sonic in his golden form). It has the lyrics: "This is Super Sonic. He's at the speed of light!"

Here's the Soundcloud link to my tune:

https://soundcloud.com/user-432115982/supersonictune

Here's the Youtube link to it (in case the Soundcloud link doesn't work for you):

https://youtu.be/ApxaplL90p0

Lastly, here's the link to the music sheet of this tune:

https://ibb.co/my4C7ST
 

rollerC

Bob-omb
Sounds actually pretty good—I imagine if you had a quartet of people it’d prolly sound better of course. Cymbal’s a little jarring though.

he’s using musescore, which is a sheet music software, then just playing it back with the preview and recording it. the samples in musescore are just supposed to give you an idea of what it would sound like to play it irl, it’s not a music production software or anything

I’m 99% sure this is what he’s doing
 

MattMVS7

Monty Mole
Roller said:
Sounds actually pretty good—I imagine if you had a quartet of people it’d prolly sound better of course. Cymbal’s a little jarring though.

he’s using musescore, which is a sheet music software, then just playing it back with the preview and recording it. the samples in musescore are just supposed to give you an idea of what it would sound like to play it irl, it’s not a music production software or anything

I’m 99% sure this is what he’s doing
The thing is, I want the cold, hard truth as to whether my melodies are great or not. That means I must get feedback from professional musicians rather than average people. So, just because you think my Super Sonic tune is good doesn't mean it is. It could be some average, lame tune. Or, maybe, it is great and other people don't realize this yet since more things are needed to bring out the melody's power and greatness. If it's the truth my melodies aren't that good, then I'm prepared for such truth and won't be upset one bit by it. The very fact 90 people have viewed this topic and you're the only one responding and saying my tune is good, this could mean my tunes aren't that good.
 

Dr. Baby Luigi

Mushroom Kingdom's Most Adorable Doctor
Well, in my head, I see myself as a great professional musician and in that same head, that professional in my head thinks your music sucks.
 

MattMVS7

Monty Mole
Baby Luigi said:
Well, in my head, I see myself as a great professional musician and in that same head, that professional in my head thinks your music sucks.
Alright, you think my tune is awful then. What's wrong with it and why's it so bad? Are there any technical flaws making it an awful tune?
 

Sgt Jack V

Wow, what a party!
Well, first of all, there aren't that many instruments. It would also sound better in some MIDI software. I think it just works as the opening piece to a longer song.
 

Kazooie

Red-crested Breegull
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Retired Wiki Staff
MattMVS7 said:
The thing is, I want the cold, hard truth as to whether my melodies are great or not. That means I must get feedback from professional musicians rather than average people.
So what you're saying is that you're posting your samples here for no reason, since no one who can see it here and post feedback meets the criterion you have set, i.e. be a professional musician.

That means, by your own confession, that this thread is intended to reach no one and has no purpose.

I would call this spam. Maybe it's time to get the mods involved.
 

Dr. Baby Luigi

Mushroom Kingdom's Most Adorable Doctor
But can't you see? The qualifications for being a professional musician means you have to have naturally great tunes in your head. I'm sure plenty of people on this forum have great astounding tunes in their head so that they would be qualified enough to give feedback, no?
 

Kazooie

Red-crested Breegull
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Retired Wiki Staff
By that logic he already is a professional musician and can just give feedback to himself. Hell, that's pretty much what he's already doing.

Might as well. That way he can tend to his conductor's baton in private, instead of getting bystanders involved.
 

MattMVS7

Monty Mole
Kazooie said:
MattMVS7 said:
The thing is, I want the cold, hard truth as to whether my melodies are great or not. That means I must get feedback from professional musicians rather than average people.
So what you're saying is that you're posting your samples here for no reason, since no one who can see it here and post feedback meets the criterion you have set, i.e. be a professional musician.

That means, by your own confession, that this thread is intended to reach no one and has no purpose.

I would call this spam. Maybe it's time to get the mods involved.
I take it there are some professional musicians here though. After all, this is the fan arts section and I'd suspect there are some experienced musicians. The thing is, I think the music I'm naturally creating in my head could be great. But, I'm not sure. I'm undecided on this and that's why I require the feedback of experienced musicians. I'm sharing these tunes I hear in my head and I require feedback.
 

Dr. Mario

Mushroom Kingdom's OG Woo Meister
MattMVS7 said:
I take it there are some professional musicians here though. After all, this is the fan arts section and I'd suspect there are some experienced musicians. The thing is, I think the music I'm naturally creating in my head could be great. But, I'm not sure. I'm undecided on this and that's why I require the feedback of experienced musicians. I'm sharing these tunes I hear in my head and I require feedback.
Five threads later including no response and when there are responses, it's people saying in depth that your tunes suck ass and you need to take music theory.... and then you double down and beg us to "lower our standards".

"I'm undecided on this, also I need opinions from experienced musicians"
 

MattMVS7

Monty Mole
Mario Party X said:
MattMVS7 said:
I take it there are some professional musicians here though. After all, this is the fan arts section and I'd suspect there are some experienced musicians. The thing is, I think the music I'm naturally creating in my head could be great. But, I'm not sure. I'm undecided on this and that's why I require the feedback of experienced musicians. I'm sharing these tunes I hear in my head and I require feedback.
Five threads later including no response and when there are responses, it's people saying in depth that your tunes suck ass and you need to take music theory.... and then you double down and beg us to "lower our standards".

"I'm undecided on this, also I need opinions from experienced musicians"
I think the melody itself is great. I just need the right chords, harmony, and other things to convey its power and greatness. Why do I think my melody is great? Well, I think it's because our brains are naturally capable of creating great works of art whether it be landscapes, music, etc. Haven't you ever had a dream where you witnessed something that never happened? I'm quite sure you have. It could be a scene from a movie that never happened such as a scene from Harry Potter where Harry opens up a portal and enters a futuristic, technological city.

We have dreams and nightmares all the time where we witness things that never happened. I, myself, had a dream of a labyrinth version of my old home. My old home became a beautiful, complex work of art in this dream. This shows our brains are naturally capable of creating whole new works of art whether it be scenes, landscapes, etc. Therefore, you can be a complete novice and still naturally create great works of art in your mind. Said works can be naturally created through drug use, dreams, or just plain inspiration.
 

Dr. Mario

Mushroom Kingdom's OG Woo Meister
if brains are so capable of miracles, i guess all this training and formal education on the arts isn't needed *throws away 4 inch thick tomes on art history*
 

MattMVS7

Monty Mole
Mario Party X said:
if brains are so capable of miracles, i guess all this training and formal education on the arts isn't needed *throws away 4 inch thick tomes on art history*
Well, even though our brains are naturally capable of creating great works of art, we need education and training anyway because we'll suck at trying to convey our mentally inspired works in the physical world. That's why we still need those books. Imagine a novice who has created a wonderful drawing in his head. If he attempted to draw what he's envisioned, then it will suck. The drawing in his head is great. But, what he drew would be awful. When I created my tunes, I thought the chords and other things I've added to go along with them was good enough. I mean, even though these are basic chords I've added to my Super Sonic tune, aren't they the right chords? Apparently, my tunes still suck and I want to know what's missing and/or what technical flaws need to be addressed.
 

Shygul

'sup
Roller said:
hello, I am a professional musician. I was wondering if all of you Mario lovers would be interested in listening to this professional music I’ve been working on and give me feedback. my only prerequisite is that you must have at least 4 hours logged in Mario Paint (I have 5, so ultimately my opinion will be superior). plz give it a listen
its gay
 

MattMVS7

Monty Mole
I was in the process of learning music theory lessons and I thought some knowledge was good enough. Apparently, it's not. I think I must go all the way and have a complete and thorough understanding of music theory before I jump right into composing music for others to listen to. Now, I do think the melodies I'm creating in my head are great and I just have to learn how to convey their power and greatness. As I said before, our brains are naturally capable of creating great works of art in our heads even if you are a complete novice who has no knowledge and experience whatsoever in any field of art.

If any average person were to have a dream and we were to somehow record that person's dream, the images and/or music in that dream would be a great work of art to share. This shows our brains are naturally capable of creating whole new, great works of art in our heads. I think I'm the equivalent of someone who has naturally created a good drawing in his own head, but sucks at drawing it. I think the tunes in my head are great. But, I suck at conveying them. Also, I didn't dream of these tunes. I came up with them through inspiration alone.
 

Dr. Baby Luigi

Mushroom Kingdom's Most Adorable Doctor
MattMVS7 said:
If any average person were to have a dream and we were to somehow record that person's dream, the images and/or music in that dream would be a great work of art to share.
I would rather not share the details of the dream I had last night to the general publuc.
 

MattMVS7

Monty Mole
It's obvious to me, at least, that our brains are naturally capable of creating good works of art and melodies in our heads. If you casually said the phrase: "I went to the store today," that would be an average melody because you could translate that spoken phrase into a melody. If you said or sung that same phrase differently, but with power and greatness, it would very likely be a great melody and not just some average melody.

So, you could either say/sing that phrase in your mind in the most basic, bland way, or, you could naturally say/sing it in a whole new way that makes it a great melody. When you come up with average, lame melodies, that's just your "average joe" within you speaking. But, when you bring out that awesome artist that naturally dwells within you, that's like your inner god speaking or singing an awesome melody. Of course, other people might not understand the awesome melodies you're trying to convey and they might think they're awful.

That's why you must learn how to convey their power and greatness. Conveying a basic, lame melody would yield a meaningful melody to other listeners. But, it wouldn't be that good of a melody. As for my melodies, I don't think they're lame or awful. Once I convey them, you should realize they were awesome melodies all along. I'm just no good at conveying my melodies at this point and that's why I must improve as an artist so I can convey them.
 

Dr. Mario

Mushroom Kingdom's OG Woo Meister
Baby Luigi said:
I would rather not share the details of the dream I had last night to the general publuc.
I know what it is lol and I laughed.
 
Top