Considering the Donkey Kong board

Smiddle

Power Star
It says "Mario's first best friend? That's up for debate.".

I doubt that you can have two superlatives after each other. It should be either "Mario's first good friend" or "Mario's early best friend", don't you think?

Actually, that whole description should be scrapped (cause Mario and Donkey Kong were trying to kill each other in their first appearance) and replaced by something like "Mario's first nemesis, and the titular character of Mario's first video game" or something like that.

Looniju said:
That wouldn't be accurate though... And it sounds weird. "Mario's first best friend" sounds fine, we're not all grammar nazis. I wasn't even aware of such a thing...

Yeah I guess

Son_of_Suns said:
Actually, that whole description should be scrapped (cause Mario and Donkey Kong were trying to kill each other in their first appearance) and replaced by something like "Mario's first nemesis, and the titular character of Mario's first video game" or something like that.

Bullseye. Who ever made the original description is a huge mo--*is shot and taken away*

Uh, I mean, yes, they (really) weren't exactly friends. Who knows their real relation anyway?

"Mario's first best friend"...

Well, going in a sort of timeline (can't think of the exact term), Mario and Donkey Kong would have first met during the events of Yoshi's Island DS. In which, they didn't show traits of being "best friends", but in the same aspect, none of the babies really showed any relationship with one another. So the debatable part of DK being Mario's "first best friend" is fine.

Nonetheless, if you want correct grammar in the description, I'd go for switching "first" with "original".

Stooby Dooby Doo said:
"Mario's first best friend"...

Well, going in a sort of timeline (can't think of the exact term), Mario and Donkey Kong would have first met during the events of Yoshi's Island DS. In which, they didn't show traits of being "best friends", but in the same aspect, none of the babies really showed any relationship with one another. So the debatable part of DK being Mario's "first best friend" is fine.

Nonetheless, if you want correct grammar in the description, I'd go for switching "first" with "original".

Yeah, that's correct. "Mario's first best friend" would almost be correct if DK was both Mario's first friend and his best friend (in which case I actually think it should be "Mario's first and best friend".

The whole description just sounds lame though. We should change it...perhaps even to "Without Donkey Kong, there wouldn't be Mario" or something like that.

Son_of_Suns said:
The whole description just sounds lame though. We should change it...perhaps even to "Without Donkey Kong, there wouldn't be Mario" or something like that.
A lot of our board descriptions are incredibly lame, unfortunately.

And yeah, that could work.

Looniju said:
Stooby Dooby Doo said:
LarryTheCableGuy27 said:
Uh, I have a question: Who cares? ._.
You could probably think of much better descriptions and than replace the ones we have with the new ones in less than three minutes.
Unless I'm mistaken, only Steve can change the forum descriptions/layouts/etc.

Stooby Dooby Doo said:
Looniju said:
Stooby Dooby Doo said:
LarryTheCableGuy27 said:
You could probably think of much better descriptions and than replace the ones we have with the new ones in less than three minutes.
Unless I'm mistaken, only Steve can change the forum descriptions/layouts/etc.

I guess we could suggest new descriptions and then go tell them to Steve-O.

Stooby Dooby Doo said:

At least, they beat those of the Userpedia forum:

"Movies":

Some people are so stupid when they go to the movies & see no-one under 17, they go get 16 friends.

"Comics & Books":
Requirement: you need to able to read.

"Television":
Put down the remote and post here

"Music":
Nothing for the deaf... except for Beethoven.

Fiddle Faddle said:
I made the music one. :)
It's also the only one that's halfway decent.

@your earlier post: Yeah, that's a good idea. I like SoS' original suggestion; it sounded professional and was descriptive.

Not that I am a member of Userpedia, but the music description appears kind of offensive and in bad taste, as it is discriminatory towards Deaf people.

Son_of_Suns said:
Not that I am a member of Userpedia, but the music description appears kind of offensive and in bad taste, as it is discriminatory towards Deaf people.
Although Beethoven WAS deaf.

LarryTheCableGuy27 said:
Okay, now that's just being a dick.

Anyway, yeah, I agree that the "Mario's first best friend" description should be changed, because as Son of Suns said, it isn't very accurate. They didn't show any signs of friendship whatsoever in Yoshi's Island DS, and they were at each others' throats in both the original Donkey Kong game and its remake, and not to mention the fact that Mario had him locked in a cage in Donkey Kong Jr.

Your face isn't accurate.
...What's that supposed to mean? If you're trying to say that I'm ugly, then that made absolutely no sense for you to even say, considering the fact that you don't even know what I look like.

SolarBlaze said:
Your face isn't accurate.
...What's that supposed to mean? If you're trying to say that I'm ugly, then that made absolutely no sense for you to even say, considering the fact that you don't even know what I look like.
Oh, he knows. He's creepy like that.

What am I wrong about, exactly? As far as I'm concerned, the things I stated in my previous post was factual information, things that actually took place in the games.

Okay, so if it's just the first Donkey Kong game we're talking about here, then that definitely proves the point of that statement being inaccurate, since they were clearly enemies in the game. That is, unless the "first best friend" statement was sarcasm.

Now, why couldn't that have been said from the very beginning? How was I (or many other people, for that matter) was supposed to know it was sarcasm? To me, it just looked like nothing more than false information. I had no way of confirming whether or not that was meant to be sarcastic.

TiDi said:
Son_of_Suns said:
Although Beethoven WAS deaf.

Code:
[color=green]I thought he was blind..............................

But, anyways, Donkey Kong+ Mario = ENEMIES.[/color]

I DID SAY THAT FROM THE BEGINNING.
No, you pointed out the fact that it was "up for debate". For a subject to be "up for debate", that means that it's a controversial subject (like Birdo's gender or whether or not Cranky Kong is the original Donkey Kong, for example). I read your posts (as well as all the others) on the previous page, and nowhere was that fact pointed out. I don't know what you're getting so riled up about.

Back