Considering the Donkey Kong board

Smiddle

Power Star
It says "Mario's first best friend? That's up for debate.".

I doubt that you can have two superlatives after each other. It should be either "Mario's first good friend" or "Mario's early best friend", don't you think?
 

Son_of_Suns

Cheep Cheep
Retired Wiki Staff
Actually, that whole description should be scrapped (cause Mario and Donkey Kong were trying to kill each other in their first appearance) and replaced by something like "Mario's first nemesis, and the titular character of Mario's first video game" or something like that.
 

Smiddle

Power Star
Looniju said:
That wouldn't be accurate though... And it sounds weird. "Mario's first best friend" sounds fine, we're not all grammar nazis. I wasn't even aware of such a thing...
Yeah I guess

Son_of_Suns said:
Actually, that whole description should be scrapped (cause Mario and Donkey Kong were trying to kill each other in their first appearance) and replaced by something like "Mario's first nemesis, and the titular character of Mario's first video game" or something like that.
Bullseye. Who ever made the original description is a huge mo--*is shot and taken away*

Uh, I mean, yes, they (really) weren't exactly friends. Who knows their real relation anyway?
 

Stooben Rooben

Star Spirit
Chat Administrator
Retired Wiki Staff
"Mario's first best friend"...

Well, going in a sort of timeline (can't think of the exact term), Mario and Donkey Kong would have first met during the events of Yoshi's Island DS. In which, they didn't show traits of being "best friends", but in the same aspect, none of the babies really showed any relationship with one another. So the debatable part of DK being Mario's "first best friend" is fine.

Nonetheless, if you want correct grammar in the description, I'd go for switching "first" with "original".
 

Smiddle

Power Star
Stooby Dooby Doo said:
"Mario's first best friend"...

Well, going in a sort of timeline (can't think of the exact term), Mario and Donkey Kong would have first met during the events of Yoshi's Island DS. In which, they didn't show traits of being "best friends", but in the same aspect, none of the babies really showed any relationship with one another. So the debatable part of DK being Mario's "first best friend" is fine.

Nonetheless, if you want correct grammar in the description, I'd go for switching "first" with "original".
Yeah, that's correct. "Mario's first best friend" would almost be correct if DK was both Mario's first friend and his best friend (in which case I actually think it should be "Mario's first and best friend".
 

Son_of_Suns

Cheep Cheep
Retired Wiki Staff
The whole description just sounds lame though. We should change it...perhaps even to "Without Donkey Kong, there wouldn't be Mario" or something like that.
 

Stooben Rooben

Star Spirit
Chat Administrator
Retired Wiki Staff
Son_of_Suns said:
The whole description just sounds lame though. We should change it...perhaps even to "Without Donkey Kong, there wouldn't be Mario" or something like that.
A lot of our board descriptions are incredibly lame, unfortunately.

And yeah, that could work.
 

Stooben Rooben

Star Spirit
Chat Administrator
Retired Wiki Staff
Looniju said:
Stooby Dooby Doo said:
A lot of our board descriptions are incredibly lame, unfortunately.
LarryTheCableGuy27 said:
Uh, I have a question: Who cares? ._.
You could probably think of much better descriptions and than replace the ones we have with the new ones in less than three minutes.
Unless I'm mistaken, only Steve can change the forum descriptions/layouts/etc.
 

Smiddle

Power Star
Stooby Dooby Doo said:
Looniju said:
Stooby Dooby Doo said:
A lot of our board descriptions are incredibly lame, unfortunately.
LarryTheCableGuy27 said:
Uh, I have a question: Who cares? ._.
You could probably think of much better descriptions and than replace the ones we have with the new ones in less than three minutes.
Unless I'm mistaken, only Steve can change the forum descriptions/layouts/etc.
I guess we could suggest new descriptions and then go tell them to Steve-O.
 

Glowsquid

Shine Sprite
Forum Moderator
Wiki Bureaucrat
Core 'Shroom Staff
Stooby Dooby Doo said:
A lot of our board descriptions are incredibly lame, unfortunately.
At least, they beat those of the Userpedia forum:

"Movies":

Some people are so stupid when they go to the movies & see no-one under 17, they go get 16 friends.
"Comics & Books":
Requirement: you need to able to read.
"Television":
Put down the remote and post here
"Music":
Nothing for the deaf... except for Beethoven.
 

Stooben Rooben

Star Spirit
Chat Administrator
Retired Wiki Staff
Fiddle Faddle said:
I made the music one. :)
It's also the only one that's halfway decent.

@your earlier post: Yeah, that's a good idea. I like SoS' original suggestion; it sounded professional and was descriptive.
 

Son_of_Suns

Cheep Cheep
Retired Wiki Staff
Not that I am a member of Userpedia, but the music description appears kind of offensive and in bad taste, as it is discriminatory towards Deaf people.
 

SiFi

Benjamin Judd
Son_of_Suns said:
Not that I am a member of Userpedia, but the music description appears kind of offensive and in bad taste, as it is discriminatory towards Deaf people.
Although Beethoven WAS deaf.
 

SolarBlaze

Guardian of the Sol Emeralds.
Retired Wiki Staff
LarryTheCableGuy27 said:
Uh, I have a question: Who cares? ._.
Okay, now that's just being a dick.

Anyway, yeah, I agree that the "Mario's first best friend" description should be changed, because as Son of Suns said, it isn't very accurate. They didn't show any signs of friendship whatsoever in Yoshi's Island DS, and they were at each others' throats in both the original Donkey Kong game and its remake, and not to mention the fact that Mario had him locked in a cage in Donkey Kong Jr.
 

SolarBlaze

Guardian of the Sol Emeralds.
Retired Wiki Staff
Your face isn't accurate.
...What's that supposed to mean? If you're trying to say that I'm ugly, then that made absolutely no sense for you to even say, considering the fact that you don't even know what I look like.
 

ShyGuy27

The Cardinal is dead -- long live The Cardinal!
SolarBlaze said:
Your face isn't accurate.
...What's that supposed to mean? If you're trying to say that I'm ugly, then that made absolutely no sense for you to even say, considering the fact that you don't even know what I look like.
Oh, he knows. He's creepy like that.
 

SolarBlaze

Guardian of the Sol Emeralds.
Retired Wiki Staff
What am I wrong about, exactly? As far as I'm concerned, the things I stated in my previous post was factual information, things that actually took place in the games.
 

SolarBlaze

Guardian of the Sol Emeralds.
Retired Wiki Staff
Okay, so if it's just the first Donkey Kong game we're talking about here, then that definitely proves the point of that statement being inaccurate, since they were clearly enemies in the game. That is, unless the "first best friend" statement was sarcasm.
 

SolarBlaze

Guardian of the Sol Emeralds.
Retired Wiki Staff
Now, why couldn't that have been said from the very beginning? How was I (or many other people, for that matter) was supposed to know it was sarcasm? To me, it just looked like nothing more than false information. I had no way of confirming whether or not that was meant to be sarcastic.
 

Jesus Freak

King Bowser
TiDi said:
Son_of_Suns said:
Not that I am a member of Userpedia, but the music description appears kind of offensive and in bad taste, as it is discriminatory towards Deaf people.
Although Beethoven WAS deaf.
Code:
[color=green]I thought he was blind..............................

But, anyways, Donkey Kong+ Mario = ENEMIES.[/color]
 

SolarBlaze

Guardian of the Sol Emeralds.
Retired Wiki Staff
I DID SAY THAT FROM THE BEGINNING.
No, you pointed out the fact that it was "up for debate". For a subject to be "up for debate", that means that it's a controversial subject (like Birdo's gender or whether or not Cranky Kong is the original Donkey Kong, for example). I read your posts (as well as all the others) on the previous page, and nowhere was that fact pointed out. I don't know what you're getting so riled up about.
 
Top