Problem accessing the Super Mario Wiki

YoshiFlutterJump

Power Star
MarioWiki
YoshiFlutterJump
Hey, I’m trying to log onto the Super Mario Wiki, but however I try to access it, I get an error message saying "This website was blocked by the network administrator." Safari also warns me that "this connection is not private," when I am connected to my home network. I had no problem accessing it last night. Am I the only one experiencing this problem? Please help!

Does this occur only with Super Mario Wiki or does this happen with other websites?

This at first sounds like the kind of blocks schools and businesses sometimes have. Do you happen to have these problems at specific places like that?

The privacy thing seems to be an intermediate party (which might also be a school or similar business in this case) trying to break the HTTPS connection to the site. Your browser will rightfully warn you when the connection has been tampered with like that.

If you need a certificate trying to access an HTTPS site, try making sure the date on your computer matches today's date.

If your computer date is, like, way back (ie 2008 or so), that causes problems with the HTTPs connection too, for some reason.

Baby Luigi said:
If your computer date is, like, way back (ie 2008 or so), that causes problems with the HTTPs connection too, for some reason.
The current date is (often?) used in the encryption process somewhere and (apparently not so often) is also used to compare to a certificate's issue and expiration dates.

This is the error message I got.

I looked at the website and it had instructions for Windows PC. Although I have a Windows 10 PC, I am currently using an iPod 6 with iOS 11. I got it two months ago, so it can’t be a problem with my device. I’ve had my PC, however, since December 2012.

And again, this is my home network, not school, not work, not public. It is the same network that I use every day.

It blocks mariowiki.com and nintendo.com; however, it doesn’t block any other site I’ve tried, not even these forums or the Super Mario Maker Bookmark site.

And I don’t even know who my network administrator is.

YFJ said:
This is the error message I got.

I looked at the website and it had instructions for Windows PC. Although I have a Windows 10 PC, I am currently using an iPod 6 with iOS 11. I got it two months ago, so it can’t be a problem with my device. I’ve had my PC, however, since December 2012.

And again, this is my home network, not school, not work, not public. It is the same network that I use every day.

It blocks mariowiki.com and nintendo.com; however, it doesn’t block any other site I’ve tried, not even these forums or the Super Mario Maker Bookmark site.

And I don’t even know who my network administrator is.

fyi that link isn't working. if you want us to see what it is you'd be better off sending a screenshot

anyway, judging by that url and what you've said, the most likely case is that someone has put opendns on your router. what this means for you is that there's an internet filter which should theoretically be blocking a certain list of sites from being accessed on any device connected to that network (side note: you say you've got a pc, can you access mariowiki on there?) and mariowiki.com just happens to have been put there for whatever reason

your network administrator is the person who would have set up opendns in the first place, so more than likely your parents. so yeah, probably worth a shot asking them if they've set any parental locks up and if they have, i guess ask them if they can unblock mariowiki. that would be the most straightforward thing probably

Actually, this sounds like any kind of block. Figure out which block is causing it. Then remove Super Mario Wiki from the list of blocks (or add it to the list of don't block). If that doesn't help (or it comes back for some weird reason), try refreshing it. If that doesn't help, turn what causes the block then refresh the page. This would cause it to not be a problem. Hopefully, you should be able to keep it turn on afterwards having only minor times where it incorrectly works.

Never mind, do NOT lock or move this thread! OpenDNS is still interfering, even though I set my device to use Google DNS. I’m not sure what is going on! I also discovered that OpenDNS is blocking every proxy and VPN I can find!

is there a reason you/your parents cant just whitelist it

Yeah, this is a firewall upgrade. My parents will not lift the block, except possibly for Saturdays. As such, I will be leaving the wiki until further notice. I guess this thread can be moved and locked now...

Back