Mario 64 - Rank all 15 courses

Jarvio

Goomba
Here's mine:

1 - Big Boo's Haunt
Love this. Just a very cool level in terms of design, atmosphere, everything. It's nice and easy and not so annoying (mostly). Cool music.

2 - Wet-Dry World
I've grown to really like this. My only dislike are those enemies with the trays that launch you. But other than this, this level has a really cool gimmick. "Downtown" is great too. The background looks like Rome or something. Very nice.

3 - Tick-Tock Clock
Just because it's fun to play. I like the gimmick of how you can freeze time by jumping in at 12 o'clock. It opens the player up to tackle stars in whichever way they please.

4 - Shifting Sand Land
I LOVE the pyramid. If this level was all just the pyramid, it would be in my top 2 for sure. It's cool, fun to play, and looks great too. It's outside that I have a problem with. I usually love desert-themed levels, but this has 2 very annoying things - instant-death quicksand, and that annoying bird.

5 - Cool, Cool Mountain
It's iconic, has a cool slide, and the penguin babies are cute. My only criticism is that it's too easy to fall to your death.

6 - Whomp's Fortress
A nice, easy level, but it doesn't rank higher because the level is too small.

7 - Tall, Tall Mountain
A solid, enjoyable level. Great slide too. The level could rank higher, but because of my fear of falling to my death too often, it has to rank here. Those "scary shrooms" really are too scary.

8 - Rainbow Ride
Far too much fear of falling again. But other than this, it's a beautifully designed level. Love the ship and the big house.

9 - Lethal Lava Land
The volcano is interesting, and is enjoyable other than the annoying camera angles. The outside - not as much. That lava is just too, well, lethal.

10 - Snowman's Land
It's an average level, with average enjoyment I'd say. Some annoyances though, like the pathway to the igloo, with those stupid snow barriers that you have to keep jumping over. Other than this, not too bad.

11 - Jolly Roger Bay
I don't usually mind underwater levels, but Mario 64 did it boring IMO. The underwater levels just felt lifeless. I do like the ship though. The music however, is amazing.

12 - Bomb-Omb's Battlefield
I know it's the first. And iconic for that reason. But it's kinda plain and boring.

13 - Dire, Dire Docks
Just a more boring version of Jolly Roger Bay. Bowser's sub was cool though, and again, the music is amazing.

14 - Hazy Maze Cave
Not an enjoyable level at all for me. I hate that black hole pit. Other than this, the level is quite boring.

15 - Tiny-Huge Island
I hate it. The tiny island is too easy to fall off of, and does not go well with the annoying camera. The huge island is too huge. I don't like playing this level at all.

I'll say Tick Tock Clock is my favorite level because it's a giant clock with mechanisms that move based on when you enter the course. I hold the game as a whole in high regards, so I'm having difficulty ranking the others.

Rainbow Ride is my least favorite level because it's a boring slog of a level. You spend 50% of the time riding on those slow ass carpets and another 50% of the time realizing you took the wrong carpet route and you have to backtrack. It also doesn't help that I find this level hideous.

I think my favorite level is Wet-Dry World. I like the concept of changing the water level to access stuff, and I like the hidden city too. I also like Hazy Maze Cave too, i dunno, I just like the atmosphere of the place.

Favorite: Big Boo's Haunt or Lethal Lava Land

Least Favorite: Hazy Maze Cave

Back