Autodesk Maya/3DS Max Questions

This thread is mostly for people who are huge fans of MMD, but feel free to read on.

I plan to get a new computer, but first, I need to know if it will support Maya and 3DS Max before I go out to buy it.​

First off, does the computer in question need to be Dell branded? Because from what I witnessed in behind the scenes videos of how game models are made, the majority of computers that use Maya or 3DS Max are Dell branded. Such as here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwbLRu_kHhU
and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jum0LImABLI
I plan to get an HP Pavilion Windows 10 computer, but when I first installed a trial of Maya on my current Windows 7 HP computer, every time I exit out of Maya, it produced a small "fatal error" window. This made me think this computer doesn't support Maya.

Below are the things Maya 2017 needs:
CPU 64-bit Intel® or AMD® multi-core processor with SSE4.2 instruction set
Graphics Hardware Refer to the following pages for a detailed list of recommended systems and graphics cards: Maya Certified Hardware
RAM 8 GB of RAM (16 GB or more recommended)
Disk Space 4 GB of free disk space for install
Pointing Device Three-button mouse

My current Windows 7 computer has:
Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard Company
Model: p6367c
Rating: 3.5 Windows Experience Index
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8300 @ 2.50GHz 2.50GHz
Installed Memory (RAM): 8.00GB
System type: 64-bit Operating System
Pen and Touch: No Pen or Touch Input is available for this display.

Is the above acceptable for Maya (2017) to be used on this kind of computer system? Because I'm afraid if I use it on the HP Pavilion Windows 10 computer I plan to get, it will misbehave with Maya and 3DS Max.

The next thing is the reason I chose Maya/3DS Max is because I read somewhere that it's the industry standard in gaming and movie making. Also, PMXEditor is in Japanese. So as long as Maya is in English, I can use it.

Speaking of which, is there a way to port PMD/PMX models to Maya/3DS Max (including the bones, facial morphs, physics, etc) and vice versa? If so, how? Because I'm afraid if I add something to an existing model (such as a hat to a human body), the hat won't stay on the head of the model when I place the human model in another part of my scenery. Or a wristwatch; if I put it on the right wrist, it won't stay on the skeleton when I twist the right arm elbow bone to move the lower half of the right arm.

And as for the models made from scratch, how do you make those "picture thingys" (those pictures in the "texture" folder of an MMD/PMX model)? Let's say EG, a cube-shaped crate (crates that are used to store ammo, gun parts, machine parts, etc) or a rectangular 5.56/7.62 ammo box. There are 6 different sides on it. So this picture thing is a pic of the crate's 6 sides. Like, does 3DS Max/Maya have a special pencil/paintbrush/paintcan tool like in the computer accessory Paint that allows me to colour directly on the model (EG, make a bomb's body black, paint the fuse grey-white and in a spiral pattern)? Because I plan to make different characters out of the existing Project Diva F Rin and Len bodies and the texture on these models are perfect, and because the default models that come with MMD are too toonish and others are too dull. Also, MapleStory 2 is not yet out in the US, so I can't acquire it's models; therefore, I have to improvise. (And I have been thinking of bringing some MapleStory sprites of gear and skills to the 3d world for some time now.)

I also plan to remake higher-detailed and more high-graphic versions of models I've seen throughout my favourite fictional shooter games such as Nerf N-Strike and Nerf N-Strike Elite for the Wii, Conker: Live and Reloaded, MapleStory, Payday 2, etc. Because with (either its) Maya or 3DS Max, I can make a fictional model that bears real life attachments and parts. Such as the MP5K Briefcase Sentry from Payday 2: https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/payday/images/5/5f/Sentry-deployed.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20130810071908 See how theres a drum magazine in the briefcase's open lid beside the MP5K? In reality, an SMG wouldn't be able to function like that; yet it's still an added bit of detail to make the model look more realistic. Also, take note of the SWAT Van Turret: http://www.imfdb.org/images/e/ea/SWAT_van_turret_PD2.jpg It's got a drum magazine attached to it's Browning M2. In reality, the gunner wouldn't be able to get out and change the magazine quickly nor would that tiny drum mag be able to hold 800 rounds nor would the browning M2 be able to fire at the pace of an SMG. Finally, take note of this P90 Sentry: http://www.imfdb.org/images/7/72/PD2_P90_turret2.jpg It has 2 boxes stacked on top of it's existing magazine for added decoration to show the player it uses standard and armor piercing ammo. Yet in reality, those boxes wouldn't actually alternate/feed the P90's existing magazine with the shown ammo. So yeah, I wanna make updated versions of these game models while bearing fictional and non-fictional functions from games like Payday 2. More about this in the pictres I'm about to upload later on.

Please reply to this ASAP. I might have other questions on the way in regards to Maya/3DS Max, so stay tuned for updates.​

yeah it should be fine

Cartoondude135 said:
This thread is mostly for people who are huge fans of MMD, but feel free to read on.

I have no idea what an "MMD" is but I'll answer your question.

Your specs seem to be good enough to handle 3DS Max/Maya so I wouldn't worry about it too much, but it does seem a little bit on the weaker end. I'm not sure why the branding of the computer matters in the slightest. What matters more are your components and what operating system you've installed. Strong components are required to handle 3D programs, as they've very demanding, especially if you plan on rendering objects.

For the record, my PC specs are the following:

Manufacturer: ASUSTek
Rating: 7.8 (Windows Experience Index)
Processor: AMDFX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor, 4000 Mhz
Installed Ram: 8 GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960

This can run the programs rather smoothly, but on more intensive renders such as mental ray, I suggest getting a cooling fan, the stock fan sucks too much to handle them.

Cartoondude135 said:
Speaking of which, is there a way to port PMD/PMX models to Maya/3DS Max (including the bones, facial morphs, physics, etc) and vice versa? If so, how? Because I'm afraid if I add something to an existing model (such as a hat to a human body), the hat won't stay on the head of the model when I place the human model in another part of my scenery. Or a wristwatch; if I put it on the right wrist, it won't stay on the skeleton when I twist the right arm elbow bone to move the lower half of the right arm.

That depends if there are plugins written for Maya and 3DS Max that will accept these files or if there are convertors that exist that will make these formats usable for these programs. A quick google search can solve problems regarding that.

If you want to place a hat on the head or accessories on the body, you have to learn how to rig the model to animate it properly. If you want to place a hat, rig it to the head bone, or if you want to put it on a wrist, rig it to the bones that control the right wrist.

Cartoondude135 said:
And as for the models made from scratch, how do you make those "picture thingys" (those pictures in the "texture" folder of an MMD/PMX model)? Let's say EG, a cube-shaped crate (crates that are used to store ammo, gun parts, machine parts, etc) or a rectangular 5.56/7.62 ammo box. There are 6 different sides on it. So this picture thing is a pic of the crate's 6 sides. Like, does 3DS Max/Maya have a special pencil/paintbrush/paintcan tool like in the computer accessory Paint that allows me to colour directly on the model (EG, make a bomb's body black, paint the fuse grey-white and in a spiral pattern)? Because I plan to make different characters out of the existing Project Diva F Rin and Len bodies and the texture on these models are perfect, and because the default models that come with MMD are too toonish and others are too dull. Also, MapleStory 2 is not yet out in the US, so I can't acquire it's models; therefore, I have to improvise. (And I have been thinking of bringing some MapleStory sprites of gear and skills to the 3d world for some time now.)

All that I know is that if you want to make each side have a different texture, you have to take a look at its UV mapping and apply textures to the correct spot. Both programs should let you take UV snapshots that you could work with in an image editing program.

For making good, realistic textures, I use Substance Painter, but if you're not planning on going advanced, then a simple image editing program will do.

Cartoondude135 said:
I also plan to remake higher-detailed and more high-graphic versions of models I've seen throughout my favourite fictional shooter games such as Nerf N-Strike and Nerf N-Strike Elite for the Wii, Conker: Live and Reloaded, MapleStory, Payday 2, etc.

If you want to make higher-detailed and higher graphic versions, I can probably recommend Z-Brush and as I said, Substance Painter for realistic texture work. There are tutorials online that teach you how to use them.

Baby Luigi said:
Cartoondude135 said:

I have no idea what an "MMD" is but I'll answer your question.

Your specs seem to be good enough to handle 3DS Max/Maya so I wouldn't worry about it too much, but it does seem a little bit on the weaker end. I'm not sure why the branding of the computer matters in the slightest. What matters more are your components and what operating system you've installed. Strong components are required to handle 3D programs, as they've very demanding, especially if you plan on rendering objects.

For the record, my PC specs are the following:

Manufacturer: ASUSTek
Rating: 7.8 (Windows Experience Index)
Processor: AMDFX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor, 4000 Mhz
Installed Ram: 8 GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960

This can run the programs rather smoothly, but on more intensive renders such as mental ray, I suggest getting a cooling fan, the stock fan sucks too much to handle them.

Cartoondude135 said:

That depends if there are plugins written for Maya and 3DS Max that will accept these files or if there are convertors that exist that will make these formats usable for these programs. A quick google search can solve problems regarding that.

If you want to place a hat on the head or accessories on the body, you have to learn how to rig the model to animate it properly. If you want to place a hat, rig it to the head bone, or if you want to put it on a wrist, rig it to the bones that control the right wrist.

Cartoondude135 said:

All that I know is that if you want to make each side have a different texture, you have to take a look at its UV mapping and apply textures to the correct spot. Both programs should let you take UV snapshots that you could work with in an image editing program.

For making good, realistic textures, I use Substance Painter, but if you're not planning on going advanced, then a simple image editing program will do.

Cartoondude135 said:
I also plan to remake higher-detailed and more high-graphic versions of models I've seen throughout my favourite fictional shooter games such as Nerf N-Strike and Nerf N-Strike Elite for the Wii, Conker: Live and Reloaded, MapleStory, Payday 2, etc.

If you want to make higher-detailed and higher graphic versions, I can probably recommend Z-Brush and as I said, Substance Painter for realistic texture work. There are tutorials online that teach you how to use them.

MikuMikuDance.

Considering this forum, he's in good company. ;P

Back