who/what got you into video games?

my parents bought a Gamecube with a few games when I was like 3 or 4. Star Wars, Pikmin (1) and Super Mario Sunshine were the first games I experienced (and later played), followed by the Wind Waker. Eventually this led to my interest in Nintendo and video games in general and we later got a Wii, DS (later traded for a 3DS) and Wii U.

I was a SpongeBob-obsessed toddler who hadn't even learned to read, and I found a store flyer of my mom's that advertised SpongeBob SquarePants: Supersponge. I was like "Hey Mom, Look it's SpongeBob!!! I want it now because I'm such a spoiled brat!!!" She said "We don't have a Game Boy."

Then I saw a GBA giveaway on Hi-C juice, so I started getting lots of it despite not being particularly fond of it. Never won a Game Boy Advance, Mom bought one before we ever won any giveaway. So I played SpongeBob, struggled for hours on the first level, finally beat it (huge celebration) and had to get my mom to beat the second level for me. She claimed it was luck and never willingly played another video game.

That GBA is responsible for so much nostalgia since then and I wish I still had every game I had for it, but kids lose things (I even lost my first game, SpongeBob Supersponge and years later got another copy, so that was exciting to revisit it after so long)

Then when I visited my dad, he bought a N64 with several games, the main one that hooked me was Super Mario 64. So much that Dad became sick of Mario and tried to ban it later. But it was too late, my Mario obsession was too far along and here I am now, posting on Mario fan forums, making Mario fan art, listening to Mario music, wearing Mario clothes, desperately searching grocery stores so I can not only live and wear Mario, but also eat Mario.

when i was four me ol' pop bought me a game boy color and introduced me to pokemon yellow been into video games ever since

Was born into a house with the NES but didn't really start playing with it until I was about 3 or so, according to my parents. Dad was super into Tetris and tried to teach me how it worked but my babb brain couldn't get it. Fast forward a year or two when dad and I went on a trip to Blockbuster (remember those?) and rented Mega Man 2. Instantly hooked and have been ever since.

The advertisement for the Wii by Nintendo had me interested at age six. I enjoyed that console and since then I had got many consoles including the Wii U, the 3DS, the NES Classic, and the most recent console that I got the Nintendo Switch. Yeah so you can say the advertisement for the Wii got me into gaming.

BBQ Turtle said:
It was back in 2009, and my Mum and Dad bought a Wii for us as an anniversary present to themselves, along with Mario Kart Wii. I think we had Wii Sports with the console, but I don't remember that, and my earliest memory is me sat on my Dad's lap with the two of us holding the Wii wheel and controlling Peach in the Wild Wing approaching the first set of jumps on DK's Snowboard cross. All of my early Mario memories are with Mario Kart Wii and Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games for DS.
Actually, more recently I've realised that it was actually my Nan that introduced me to video games. I remember playing Dr. Mario with her for hours on her Game Boy, and that was quite a while before we got Mario Kart Wii. I think I also had a DS before that as well, some people at my holiday club had DSs and would play Mario Kart DS, and there was a nice girl there that first introduced me to them and showed me how to play.

Well, I didn't really care about games, but my neighbor had a Wii since 2009, and I found it really fun, so I got one in Christmas 2010, and started loving games (my first real Mario games, so without counting the bootleg Super Mario Bros., is New Super Mario Bros. Wii)

It was the time when my father got a computer of old, running Windows 3.1 and it contains a few games, both educational and regular games. Educational-wise it contains Snoopy's Game Club which is a very nice game, and regular games include Jill of the Jungle. The computer also contains Chip's Challenge, a nostalgic game for those who has Windows.

What essentially rekindled my love for games was back when I played a few Popcap games on my father's PDA (personal digital assistant), which is like a precursor to the smartphone and contains a touch screen. The games are serviceable, but when I played the Deluxe versions, I realise how much better the experience is. Those types of games felt similar to what indie games are currently, since they are smaller in production values yet carries the same package of fun as those regular games. That is why I have a fondness of indie games, since they are still fun even though their production values is smaller than the regular games.

Thank you for reading.

My dad brought home Super Mario 64 when I was just three years old, and that got the ball rolling.

Back