Mario Portal

Mister Wu

King Bowser
Wiki Administrator
MarioWiki
Mister Wu
As most of you surely know by now, NCL has opened a Mario Portal on their site, with the basics about Mario (the character), his games and the characters involved.

Apart from asking, if you don't mind, the translation of the bios, and apart from the new artwork or higher resolution artwork there that is already being uploaded to the wiki, here are some curious and interesting things I found:

• among Mario's friends we now have Waluigi, Baby Mario and Baby Luigi...
  • among the games shown, Super Mario Maker and Super Mario Run are mentioned as well, this is odd, as especially the first was deconfirmed by the Encyclopedia Super Mario Bros. to be part of the Super Mario series
  • yep, the Super Mario bros. 3 story now has the proper 「自分の」 term, referred to the Koopalings as Bowser's children, back again, this was present in the original manual but suppressed in the Encyclopedia Super Mario Bros., that still had that sentence at the beginning that the story was taken from the manual, just like this portal
  • the roster shown, however, is pretty much that of the Wii era, with artwork also mainly coming from that era
  • the bios are very similar to the ones of the kids section (that now can only be reached via direct link, by the way, making that bios page pretty much an orphaned page) and confirm that Mario "was" a plumber and apparently continue to refer to Toad as the group of Toads

Mister Wu said:
  • among Mario's friends we now have Waluigi, Baby Mario and Baby Luigi...

excellent...

Wait, so this is the result as to why the "Kids" section of the Nintendo Japan site got closed? With that said, I hope the rest of the Mario bios there return because from what I've seen there, all we have so far are Mario, Luigi, Peach, Toad, and Bowser.

MeritC said:
Wait, so this is the result as to why the "Kids" section of the Nintendo Japan site got closed? With that said, I hope the rest of the Mario bios there return because from what I've seen there, all we have so far are Mario, Luigi, Peach, Toad, and Bowser.
Actually, the site and the bios are still up, they simply cannot be reached in an easy way, since the link to the page is missing on the Kids section. If it still remains up, I'll add a link to it in the various translated bios. It must be noted that those of the Kids section seems to be more complete, for example, Bowser Jr. is referenced in the Kids section's bio of Bowser, but not in the new bio.

Nice. I've uploaded the Japanese logos from the Super Mario timeline.

The Mario Portal has been updated with additional characters and a Mario Kart 'history' page.
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/character/mario/characters/index.html
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/character/mario/collection/mariokart/index.html

As of late, the site has been updated to include five additional characters in the "Characters" section (Added on June 26).

They've also added a "News" section (Added on June 14).

EDIT:
Another thing is we should add this as a MarioWiki article, like play.nintendo.com site and zelda.com from ZeldaWiki.
I don't know how we could do more articles about websites in this wiki (we already done this once with Play Nintendo).

infinite8 said:
As of late, the site has been updated to include five additional characters in the "Characters" section (Added on June 26).

They've also added a "News" section (Added on June 14).

EDIT:
Another thing is we should add this as a MarioWiki article, like play.nintendo.com site and zelda.com from ZeldaWiki.
I don't know how we could do more articles about websites in this wiki (we already done this once with Play Nintendo).
Thanks for the news! At this point, all the bios of the kids section of NCL site have their counterpart on the Mario Portal, so the next additions, if they will be a thing, might be interesting.

Since Play Nintendo is covered, the Mario Portal might be covered as well on the wiki, but honestly I won't be able to do that now, my list of unfinished projects is insanely long at this point...

The site has been updated (October 5). The Mario & Luigi series is added in the "game collection" section.
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/character/mario/collection/search.html#?g=series&v=mariorpg

The Mario Party series would be next, with Mario Party: The Top 100 releasing on December 28 in Japan.

http://mario.nintendo.com/ has been revamped!
Previous layout: March 2012 (archived link) - November 2017 (archived link).

Now that the site had a major overhaul recently (December 1, 2017), the new site is just the English version of the Japanese Mario Portal site.

I'll miss those "Test your Mario Memory" and "Test your Mario Knowledge" games.

Guys, this is beatiful:
[quote author=NA Mario Portal]
Story (From the original instruction booklet)
The Mushroom Kingdom was the peaceful home of the Toads until the day Bowser and his wicked minions invaded. Using powerful magic, Bowser™ transformed the Toads into bricks and quickly conquered the land.
Only Princess Peach had the power to remove Bowser's curse and save her people. But Bowser kidnapped the princess and hid her in his castle. All hope seemed lost, and darkness reigned...
When the Mario Brothers, Mario™ and Luigi™, heard this story, they decided to rescue Princess Peach and defeat the evil Bowser. Can the brothers save the beautiful princess before it's too late?

[/quote]
This isn't the story of the original manual!
This is the fixed story where Nintendo finally acknowledged that Koopa was Bowser!

YAY! It took them 32 years but they fixed it!

Story (From the original instruction booklet)
Thanks to the brave deeds of Mario and Luigi, the Mushroom Kingdom, gateway to the rest of the Mushroom World, has been freed from the evil clutches of Bowser and his Koopas.
Vowing revenge, Bowser orders the seven Koopalings to go out into the Mushroom World and wreak havoc. These troublemakers steal royal magic wands from each country in the Mushroom World and use the power to turn each country's king into an animal. Now it's up to Mario and Luigi to recover these wands and return the rulers to their human forms.
"Good-bye and good luck!" cheer Toad and Princess Peach as they see Mario and Luigi off on their adventure deep into the heart of the Mushroom World.[/quote]
No, this is not what was written in the manual.
Anyway, the Koopalings are perfectly aligned with the current Japanese depiction now: no Bowser's children, no siblings. I guess the German Encyclopedia Super Mario Bros. was spot-on.
[quote author=NA Mario Portal] Story (From the original instruction booklet)
Having returned peace to Mushroom World, Mario and Luigi decide to take a leisurely vacation with Princess Peach. They set out for Yoshi’s Island in the magical island nation of Dinosaur Land far to the south. But soon after arriving on the island, Princess Peach suddenly disappears. As Mario and Luigi desperately search for her, they discover a strange egg on the outskirts of the island. Then, before their very eyes, an odd little dragon hatches! The dragon calls himself Yoshi and says, “Monstrous turtles recently appeared here in this Dinosaur Land. They have used magic to seal my friends inside eggs. I tried to help them, but the turtles are incredibly strong and cast a spell on me, too… Will you please come with me to rescue my friends?”
What can this mean? Apparently, Bowser hasn’t learned his lesson, so it appears that his minions have yet again kidnapped Princess Peach.
Mario and Luigi begin another adventure in hopes of rescuing Yoshi’s pals and Princess Peach!
[/quote]
Wow, perfect timing! I just added that Yoshi was a dragon in Super Mario World (and Super Mario Galaxy 2) and now NOA acknowledges that too, despite having a different story back then!

Cheerful. Inspiring. Jumpy. Everyone loves Mario—and for good reason! The mustached one has been bravely battling bad guys for decades, and shows no signs of slowing down. He’s remarkably resilient for a plumber, smashing bricks and bouncing off walls like a parkour star. These amazing athletic skills are put to good use in a variety of sports, like tennis, baseball, soccer, and even auto racing. Mario may be a sporting superstar, but his main interest, of course, is keeping his beloved Princess Peach safe and away from the clutches of Bowser.
[/quote]
Oh, look, regional differences! Mario is still a plumber in North America!

The princess of the Mushroom Kingdom is known for her gentle spirit and wishes only for everyone to live happily. For some reason, though, Bowser seems obsessed with marrying her, which can be a real nuisance. When she’s not being bothered by bad guys, Princess Peach enjoys baking cakes, playing tennis, and hanging out with her pal, Mario.
[/quote]
pal, Mario. Case closed.

Mister Wu said:
Guys, this is beatiful:
Cheerful. Inspiring. Jumpy. Everyone loves Mario—and for good reason! The mustached one has been bravely battling bad guys for decades, and shows no signs of slowing down. He’s remarkably resilient for a plumber, smashing bricks and bouncing off walls like a parkour star. These amazing athletic skills are put to good use in a variety of sports, like tennis, baseball, soccer, and even auto racing. Mario may be a sporting superstar, but his main interest, of course, is keeping his beloved Princess Peach safe and away from the clutches of Bowser.
[/quote]
Indeed.

But the lesson to be learned here is that Mario is an incoherent mess so don't take "official" information like "ZOMG Mario isn't a plumber" at complete face value.

LeftyGreenMario said:
Mister Wu said:
Guys, this is beatiful:
Indeed.

But the lesson to be learned here is that Mario is an incoherent mess so don't take "official" information like "ZOMG Mario isn't a plumber" at complete face value.
[/quote]
I have the German translation of the Encyclopedia Super Mario Bros. that calls Mario an Italian plumber and almost makes me want to make a section on Mario's nationality for lulz...

By the way, a little update: it turns out that despite what they say, the stories of Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros. 2 and Super Mario Bros. 3 are taken from the manual of the Wii version of Super Mario All-stars (yes, they were already trying to rewrite the story of the Koopalings back then). Props to SmokedChili and LinkTheLefty for finding it! On the other hand, the story of Super Mario World is that of the original manual, but the Japanese one! They translated it pretty faithfully too, since they kept Yoshi being a dragon! :yoshi:

The site has been updated (December 28). The Mario Party series is added in the "game collection" section.
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/character/mario/collection/search.html#?g=series&v=marioparty

Sorry for a triple post

The site has been updated (May 15). The Mario Tennis series is added in the "game collection" section.
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/character/mario/collection/search.html#?g=series&v=mariotennis

Too bad it doesn't include Mario's Tennis.

Wow, they went with console name until Open!
It's pretty odd that they don't mention Mario's Tennis: in the case of the Golf series, they mentioned Mario Open Golf as the first game of the series in the 30th anniversary books.

I just noticed something.

In the Japanese site both Super Mario Bros. 2 and Super Mario USA are listed.

In the American site only Super Mario USA is listed, with no mention of Super Mario Bros. 2.

Just admit it, Nintendo of America. Everyone at this point knows that the sequel you rejected is the real Mario 2, and that Mario USA is just a reskin of Doki Doki Panic.

Sunshine Yoshi said:
Everyone at this point knows that the sequel you rejected is the real Mario 2, and that Mario USA is just a reskin of Doki Doki Panic.

We're still doing this?

Borp said:
Sunshine Yoshi said:
Everyone at this point knows that the sequel you rejected is the real Mario 2, and that Mario USA is just a reskin of Doki Doki Panic.

We're still doing this?
Apparently, because the American version of the Mario Portal is missing Lost Levels. Don’t get me wrong, Mario USA isn’t a bad game. But I don’t like how Nintendo of America insists that Lost Levels isn’t part of the core series.

At this point, denying that SMB2 is a "real" Mario just because of what it technically is rather than acknowledging its overall legacy and inspiration to the Mario franchise is doing a huge disservice to the Mario franchise.

I do agree that Lost Levels should be acknowledged, but please don't argue its importance to the Mario series over Super Mario Bros. 2 USA. They're both real Mario sequels.

Russian Baby Luigi said:
At this point, denying that SMB2 is a "real" Mario just because of what it technically is rather than acknowledging its overall legacy and inspiration to the Mario franchise is doing a huge disservice to the Mario franchise.
Yeah. Even as soon as SMB3, Bob-Ombs moved over to the "main" games. By SMW the likes of Pokeys, Pigits & Ninjis were bleeding in. Every time Peach is playable, they homage SMB2 with her floatiness. Shy Guys & their derivatives keep showing up, as does Birdo(s). Captain Toad even chucks the vegetables from SMB2 as his main attack!

And that's just the stuff off the top of my head. There's definitely more.

Back