Mario rpg fans unite, what do you look or want from rpgs outside of mario rpgs?

Zae

Donkey Kong
Banned User
Well i started out with paper mario as my first rpg, my taste in rpgs in general grew rapidly over the years and eventually ive come to this point where ive played hundreds upon hundres of rpgs, hack n slash, turn based, tactical, fps, tps, and so on.

At most points its hard for me to get into mario rpgs at this point due to dealing with rpgs that have loads of replay value and massive amounts of battle customization, and while i dont view mario rpgs as bad, but i find them hard to get into nowadays.

But that also makes me quesiton, what do other mario rpg fans see into the more diverse rpgs that have more customization and replay value? Do they view them as imposing or perhaps too complicated?

I mean there are various rpgs out there probably for everyone, but when you see mario rpgs and perhaps another rpg in the genre, what do you compare it with, how do you view it? Just some questions, im a bit of a lunatic and i love hearing rpg opinions regardless of their nature.

So mario rpg fans if you were to browse outside of mario rpgs or even just nintendo rpgs, what would you be looking for?

Something good and that doesnt start a war in youtube comments or any sort of social media

Geoff said:
I would love to see a game with a battle system like ttyd's, except raise the difficulty because pretty much everything in ttyd is a pushover

hmm the closet thing really is legend of dragoon since that game has action commands.

not too many turn based games focus on action commands really.

I mean the South Park game has Action Commands and paper

Hououin Kyouma said:
I mean the South Park game has Action Commands and paper

oh yeah forgot about that, of course i never played it either, so that might explain somethings.

Any RPG's out there with a large and varied cast? Suikoden seems interesting just for how many playable characters it has, but I'd probably want with something smaller.

I like RPGs (and actually games in general) that allows me to feel emotions that make me invested in the story and world of which the game creates. Probably the number reasons why I am in love with Mother 3, Undertale, and LISA

RPGs with multiplayer function interest me the most hence why Tales of Symphonia has grabbed my attention.

I also don't want anything too difficult.

Customization and replay value mainly. Multiplayer is a huge biggie for BLOF and me personally. Story is seriously whatever.

I also like to have RPGs that have a theme similar to Mario / Kirby / Pokemon / Chocobo Dungeon; they're cartoony / cutesy but they provide a decent enough challenge. Anyhow, I don't want an RPG that's SUPER challenging either.

Of course, if Mario is a playable party member in some nonMaRPG, it would swell my interest for that one.

Mario in Skyrim or some other open-world RPG would be a pipe dream.

LeftyGreenMario said:
Well that used to be the case with Zelda too, but apparently we're getting that for franchise.

I know it's two totally different genres, but who knows, I wouldn't say it would be impossible, just really improbable. I would honestly love that too.

Time Turner said:
Any RPG's out there with a large and varied cast? Suikoden seems interesting just for how many playable characters it has, but I'd probably want with something smaller.

smaller? hmm i guess final fantasy 6 is a good option, i think it has the largest final fantasy cast to date, so.

Also uh secret of mana 2 is an option but the cast kinda affects the storyline based on who you choose, so that might be a different thing. Star ocean 1-3 are good, or well the psp versions of 1 and 2 anyway, as they have pretty big casts although star ocean 2 has like over 80 endings so good luck with that, dont see too many rpgs with large cast like suikoden tbh.

Customization and replay value mainly. Multiplayer is a huge biggie for BLOF and me personally. Story is seriously whatever.

I also like to have RPGs that have a theme similar to Mario / Kirby / Pokemon / Chocobo Dungeon; they're cartoony / cutesy but they provide a decent enough challenge. Anyhow, I don't want an RPG that's SUPER challenging either.

Of course, if Mario is a playable party member in some nonMaRPG, it would swell my interest for that one.

well if you have two machines you can really get into the torch light games, although 2 is far more customizable and has modding features to boot, but 1 is still solid. Sadly not too many customized rpgs really have the feel of mario stuff, i guess secret of mana 2 is an option again as it has multiplayer, its not very dark, and some humor kinda makes me giggle between certain character combos, infact might look into some mana games as some are pretty goofy, aside from sword of mana.

Well, I do enjoy Tales of Symphonia, though its battle system kind of annoyed me as a nonplayer 1 player; the camera likes panning around player 1 (my sister), so it can be annoying for me to go left or right when the camera's spinning. There also isn't really much to do but watch player 1 outside of battle, that's another annoyance, but we do go out of our way to engage every single enemy we see, even the weak ones and even right after they respawn if we have to reenter a room.

I also enjoyed Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles though it's hard to set up. And I am appealed by some of the characters especially the Yukes and the Lilties though I don't see those two in other Final Fantasy games so, for someone who's unfamiliar with Final Fantasy, it confuses me.

Anyhow, my sister and I never played Diablo II together but we really, really would like to. Played it one time (as a kid so I made use of Shadowmaster... yeah) but would like to play that one again. Alas, the problem with PCs is just how you need two systems, and we really don't have two systems. Torchlight II looks Splitscreen right now, is highly valuable for us.

Skyrim sounds a hell lot of fun too, I can only imagine replacing the background sounds and music. I'm pretty sure modding Mario as playable is pretty far from realistic but otherwise, those mods make me interested too. I also like Torchlight II ability to get modded as well.

honestly symphonia has probably the worst camera controls of the 3d games, id suggest abyss, vesperia, and graces for a better time, as you have 3d mode which allows for smooth camera control plus they're really good in terms of fun too.
theres also loads of games like diablo 2 as well on pc, grim dawn, titans quest, and if you have a ps2 you can find similer games like the champions of norrath games and baldurs gate dark alliance 2.

honestly skyrim can be good but just dont focus on being pure melee, as there is literally little to no variety in it, due to lack of learning new active skills and whatnot.

kingdom of amular might be up your alley as well as its very cartoony and having smooth controls with gamepads while still having some battle customization with skill trees, sadly no multi but its a nice single player open world game.

I want an RPG that plays like Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, that game was amazing.

The King of all Mario RPGS said:
I want an RPG that plays like Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, that game was amazing.

A lot of RPGs out there already outdid what Thousand-Year Door did.

Again, you call yourself "The Greatest RPG Gamer Alive" yet evidence shows me you don't know a goddamn thing about RPGs outside of Mario.

Baby Luigi said:
A lot of RPGs out there already outdid what Thousand-Year Door did.

Please name them, I would love to play another game that evokes the same feeling as TTYD did for me.

blof i can understand your words but honestly ttyd does unique things of its own, i dont think there is an exact upgrade, there are some games i can say id enjoy more but not quite the same to me.

Okay, so maybe I was a bit abrasive in that post in terms of my personal opinions and I don't want to give anyone the wrong idea here that I think Thousand Year Door is not a good game. I'll try to explain my rather unpopular opinion on why I don't like Thousand-Year Door as much as the consensus around these parts, and why I personally think Thousand-Year Door isn't that hard to top.

I firmly think that the original Paper Mario outdid Thousand-Year Door already, and that game did nearly everything Thousand Year stumbled upon, barring a few things I will commend Thousand-Year Door for improving upon. The Thousand-Year Door introduced too many bad mechanics for me to enjoy more than I enjoyed the original Paper Mario 64. I will get out of the way to say that I prefer partners having their own HP than what 64 did but that's pretty much the only upgrade I know about or at least was significant enough for me to remember. It would be great if you point out other improvements that Thousand-Year Door did, but I believe those improvements are not enough to make me like Thousand-Year Door over the original Paper Mario.

First of all the game has a lot of padding, more than Paper Mario 64. I don't like having to go back and forth in the sewers, go to that area where you need to reveal the map and Professor Frankly's house to reveal exactly where to go next. I don't like traversing the same areas again and again and use the sewers as a hub thing like how Partners in Time use time holes to instantly warp to another location to forgo cohesion; one of the reasons I find Forever Forest memorable is the gradual atmosphere changes between Toad Town and Forever Forest, unlike Creepy Steeple where you use a Warp Pipe to instantly travel there. The worlds in Paper Mario 64 are connected cohesively rather than resorting to a Warp Pipe to transport you there. Another thing I really dislike about Thousand-Year Door is the shine upgrade system. In the original Paper Mario, all you had to do is hit a block and you can upgrade your partner immediately. In this game, it works similarly, but with unnecessary layers of complexity added to it: now, you have to find several Shine Sprites instead of one and if you want to upgrade your partner to upgrade his stats, you have to trudge back to Merlon's house every. Single. Time to upgrade him. Because of this, I sometimes forget that I have enough Shine Sprites, and I realize that in the middle of the dungeon, only for me to forget later on. Thousand-Year Door was also very content with time wasters such as "I love you" and the General White mission, none of which I recall was in the original 64 version.

The Creepy Steeple is very notorious for the back-tracking required but Flower Fields is a similar equivalent, so I'm not going to bring it up. However, Thousand-Year Door has very linear hallway-like landscapes: from the forest from the Creepy Steeple to the train in Excess Express, to The Great Boggly Tree and so on, with a few exceptions for more open-like areas like the snowy area and the main Glitz Pit hub. Glitz Pit was memorable for pretty much the wrong reasons thanks to these weird restrictions and Excess Express was something I personally found to be on the boring side. The Puni mechanic was annoying in The Great Tree.

I really dislike the audience gimmick and I think it taints an otherwise very simple yet elegant RPG. I don't like having to scan the audience to see who will throw a rock or Mushrooms at me, nor do I like bucket drops and stage crap falling on me and having to be wary of that as well. The slot machines, they're luck-based and they have the potential to totally flip the battle against you if you have bad luck and land on a Poison Mushroom. Finally, some action commands feel really arbitrary to use, and some changes I feel don't need to be there. Tattle and using Star Powers worked fine in the original Paper Mario, now you need to either waste time to pointlessly line up the circle with the whatever just to get a battle log for enemies or draw a lot of circles around the enemy to deal damage and other crap like that that I don't like.

The music in Thousand-Year Door I personally didn't find memorable at all aside from The Great Boggly Tree and that chapter itself was annoying to play through already. The sound design was in my opinion a large step down from Paper Mario 64. Jumping on enemies with the right action command isn't as satisfying as it was in 64, with the sound effect simply not as impactful, and I absolutely hate what they did to the Zap Tap badge sound effect when an enemy gets, one of my absolute favorite sounds from 64 was seeing enemies get shocked by you. Boss fight music such as Tubba Blubba, Crystal King, Koopa Bros., and General Guy still ring very clearly in my head, despite not having played 64 in such a long time while I think the battle tune in Thousand-Year Door is a bit on the insipid side compared to the boppy and dance-y tune that 64 had.

Partners were a great improvement over 64, something Thousand-Year Door blessed upon, but they still remain relatievly static throughout the game aside from one-liners here and there in reaction to some scenarios and they're rather uninteractive. In other RPG games, all party members are active and alive, and will interact with other party members and build relationships with each other. Here, they feel like talking tools, and while the problem isn't as bad as it was in Super Paper Mario and better than not speaking again as they were in Paper Mario 64, it's still in need of improvement in accordance to other RPGs with multiple party members, the Mario & Luigi series included. A reason Huey and Tippi are very beloved because they're far more active and changing as the story goes on than the other partners. Vivian is one of the most popular partners in Thousand-Year Door for the reasons I had stated as she changes when the story goes on and she eventually joins you; she's far better than Lakilester can hope to be. This is saying much, because partners are one of the major selling points of Paper Mario in my opinion, and seeing them given more interaction than what they got in Thousand-Year Door to the level of RPGs with multiple party members would be amazing.

I admit I haven't played too much RPGs, but nearly every RPG I played so far (which is not much), I had more fun with them than I had with Thousand-Year Door, and that even includes other Mario RPGs like Superstar Saga (not going to mention the other Mario & Luigi I played because I'm heavily biased for nongameplay reasons). I might be a sucker for nostalgia as well for greatly preferring the 64 version over Thousand-Year Door but I personally found not much stuff to be impressive in Thousand-Year Door when I personally feel it's outclassed already by the original Paper Mario so I can't help feel not too impressed by Thousand-Year Door when a lot of stuff done in that game the 64 game did with flying colors. If I want an action RPG, I'd play Tales games or dungeon crawlers. If I want a better narrative experience, I'd not play a Mario RPG. If I want an RPG with action commands, I'd play Mario & Luigi or the original Paper Mario. If I want an RPG with fun and memorable characters and character interactions, again, I'd rather go with Tales of Symphonia.

I understand that Paper Mario does have its own niche, but I think the niche is very small, so it's hard for me to identify games that do on the same level on what Thousand-Year Door is trying to accomplish; being an accessible, starter RPG that anyone can play. But in terms of how it matches up in other RPGs, I feel the mechanics and narratives are outclassed.

That is all well and good, you are certainly allowed to prefer the original Paper Mario over TTYD. That's not what I took issue with. What I did take issue with is you attacking someone for stating they want to play another game like TTYD (which is a perfectly reasonable wish, and something I would like to do as well). That is completely uncalled for, and frankly, you do not get to dictate what we can or cannot like, or want to play.

Like really, feel free to explain which games you do and don't like and why, but don't insult people for not agreeing with you. There's just no class in that.

yeah lets not go to that level, there is no need to attack each other and if you dont understand why then ya know thats fine, but i dont think being aggressive or hostile to another is not gonna help. I dont understand why people like something ttyd or bowsers inside story over something like ff5 or tales of vesperia, but again its best not to be in the attacking territory for it.

And remember people its fine to like other rpgs over other rpgs but its not fine to say others are wrong or not a gamer of this type because of it.

This topic is for me to understand how i can recommend other rpgs to mario rpg fans and its really all that it is, understanding.

Zae Eildus said:
I dont understand why people like something ttyd or bowsers inside story over something like ff5 or tales of vesperia, but again its best not to be in the attacking territory for it.

The reason why I like TTYD is because it hits a very specific niche for me that I haven't found in many other games that I know of. It is a game that allows me to assemble a party of cute critters with personalities and to fool around in an interesting, internally coherent game world.

There are better games out there in general, but to me, looking at that niche in particular, TTYD is king.

Ok, I'm sorry that I lashed out like this. I'm really stressed lately by all of the crap happening, and my comment has been unwarranted.

In my opinion, Paper Mario 64 is great and it's been a while, so I want to replay it again. I haven't even finished Thousand Year Door and I don't have any plans to.

Yapyap said:
Zae Eildus said:
I dont understand why people like something ttyd or bowsers inside story over something like ff5 or tales of vesperia, but again its best not to be in the attacking territory for it.

The reason why I like TTYD is because it hits a very specific niche for me that I haven't found in many other games that I know of. It is a game that allows me to assemble a party of cute critters with personalities and to fool around in an interesting, internally coherent game world.

There are better games out there in general, but to me, looking at that niche in particular, TTYD is king.

thats fine i suppose but theres just so many areas in ttyd that just dont do it for me, which is fine too. Although often niche rpgs can be hard to compare to so im not quite so sure what to reconmend in comparison, ff5 has niches of its own but its not for beginners due to its difficulties and how much stuff goes into the job system.

Baby Luigi said:
Ok, I'm sorry that I lashed out like this. I'm really stressed lately by all of the crap happening, and my comment has been unwarranted.

It's ok. I think we all understand, considering the... situation.

Back