Nintendo Switch [NX Post-Reveal Thread] [Latest Info As Of 10/20/16 11AMEST]

Contra(dictory)

also I hang out here, I guess

Watch the trailer if you haven't.

NOTABLE INFORMATION
  • Nintendo Switch is a hybrid console. A dock allows it to be hooked up to a TV, where games can be displayed at up to 1080p60fps, while the detachable tablet (think modern Wii U Gamepad) plays games at 720p (possibly 30fps).
  • Games are on cartridges. Speculation: cartridges could allow faster load times, and could boast huge sizes. SD cards of up to 512 GB exist.
  • The status of onboard storage is unknown.
  • Default controller, called Joy-Con, can be split into two for quick multiplayer experiences. There will also be a new Pro Controller option. Controller backwards compatibility is currently unknown.
  • Specs are unknown, but Nvidia is responsible for the hardware and software aspects. Possible Tegra/Tegra X2.
  • New Mario confirmed!
  • Splatoon and Mario Kart have both been seen running on the system. These titles are graphically similar to their Wii U counterparts, but boast new gameplay features. Possible ports?
  • The Switch has massive third party support coming out of the gate. A few notable names include Bethesda (who have never previously supported a Nintendo console), From Software (Dark Souls/Bloodborne), Konami (Pachinko Memes), Platinum Games (MGR, Bayonetta) and Grasshopper Manufacture (No More Heroes).

Thread will be updated with more information as it becomes available.

OP has been updated with all known information, and will continue to be updated with all known information as time passes on.

oh uh i was gonna put your post in the op of my thread but this is okay as well i guess (?)

The idea of the Joy-Con being removable makes this a particularly interesting twist that could potentially be swapped with new controller parts. It brings to mind this: https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/4xndcm/making_sense_of_the_nx_detachable_controllers_leak/

Basically, the sides could potentially be swapped with different parts like perhaps a fishing rod controller, or perhaps a controller based on past consoles. Though I am not necessarily fond of this, I can imagine a 6-button Genesis/Saturn layout being of a point-of-interest to some people.

Thanks for reading.

winstein said:
The idea of the Joy-Con being removable makes this a particularly interesting twist that could potentially be swapped with new controller parts. It brings to mind this: https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/4xndcm/making_sense_of_the_nx_detachable_controllers_leak/

Basically, the sides could potentially be swapped with different parts like perhaps a fishing rod controller, or perhaps a controller based on past consoles. Though I am not necessarily fond of this, I can imagine a 6-button Genesis/Saturn layout being of a point-of-interest to some people.

Thanks for reading.

I haven't even thought of something like that. That would be pretty cool! Perhaps for the new Mario Kart, there could be a Wii Wheel-like attachment?

I'm glad this thing won't be basically a worse PC unlike what some people want out of a new Nintendo console and new consoles in general. Weird gimmicky things like that that could also work in practical terms may be just able to work.

If they emphasized purely on power and graphical capabilities, that thing would have no base to stand on since it would have to compete with PC who have pretty much established itself to be the king of power and being a superb gaming platform with a lot of its advantages. Exclusives alone don't really sell consoles anymore, unless your library is rich of them.

Portability is a great thing to have. But this thing basically operates life and death on how long the battery lasts, so hopefully we'll get a great battery out of this.

Think I'm supposed to be in this thread? (Do we really need two?)

NX has Unreal Engine 4. http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/10/unreal_engine_4_will_be_supported_on_nintendo_switch

I made this thread when the other thread was still called "Nintendo NX". My idea was to put actual Switch discussion and news in this thread, since the first dozen pages or so of the other thread were NX speculation.

Back