The issue of parallel worlds

Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels is called a "parallel world" to Super Mario Bros. in the Famicom Disk System manual.
Super Mario Galaxy 2 is also called a "parallel world" to Super Mario Galaxy in Japanese as far as I can find.
Regarding Super Mario Galaxy, Rosalina also tells you that you can travel to a "new world" if you collect all 120 Power Stars, which turns out to be the Super Luigi Galaxy bizarro world in which Luigi meets Luigi even though Mario also exists.

There being an alternative universe is not only relevant to the Mario series, but also important since it was re-used in Galaxy 2. It brings up many issues - how do we know if a game takes place in universe A or universe B? What does this imply for 3D Land's Special Worlds, which seem to also be alternative and more difficult versions of the regular levels, but can be traveled to at will with a Warp Pipe (it's actually where Dry Bowser holds Luigi)? What about Worlds Mushroom, Flower and Star in NSMB2? What about when places from both SMG1 and SMG2 appear in the same game, such as Fortune Street? Do we play as the same Mario traveling between alternate realities on occasions, if 3D Land implies that traveling from one universe to another is possible? Does New Super Luigi U take place in the alternate universe? What do alternate universes imply for the RPGs, particularly since we already know about one (the Paper Mario world)?

Things don't get more simple if we take into account different versions of the same game that have particularly different contents (the Super Mario Advance remakes, Game Boy Donkey Kong, Mario 64 DS...).

*insert something about Scuttlebugs here or whatever*

I dunno, I interpreted Galaxy 2's "story" of the game devs no longer giving a crap, so because of that, I couldn't be bothered to explain why Galaxy 2 did all of those things that contradicted the first Galaxy.

Baby Luigi said:
*insert something about Scuttlebugs here or whatever*

I dunno, I interpreted Galaxy 2's "story" of the game devs no longer giving a crap, so because of that, I couldn't be bothered to explain why Galaxy 2 did all of those things that contradicted the first Galaxy.

I thought that SMG2 would take place directly after SMG1, with the Star Festival being the one celebrated in Grand Finale Galaxy, but Japanese sites seem to also agree that SMG2 is to SMG1 what SMB2JP was to SMB1.

I see The Lost Levels as more analogous to the Special Worlds in 3D Land, being a similar tale on a parallel world that still takes place after the first.

I see Galaxy 2 as the actual sequel to Galaxy 1 though, the universe did get remade, after all.

As for parallel worlds in general, they could be just that. Just alternative worlds made for gameplay-only purposes, Mario is more gameplay than story anyways

Back