Harriet Tubman going on the $20, not the $10 bill

Magikrazy

Donkey Kong
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2016/04/20/report-lew-considered-anthony-10-bill/83274530/

In 2020, the $5, $10, and $20 bills will be updated. Most notably, Jackson's mug on the front of the 20 will be replaced by anti-slavery activist Harriet Tubman, who helped slaves escape via the Underground Railroad.

This will be the first time a black person has appeared on a bill and the first woman on one since 1896.

This is great. We remove the anti-paper money, murderous jackass, add a great and powerful leader who helpedescaped slaves, and we keep the ten dollar founding father who have us our financial system.

GalacticPetey said:
This is great. We remove the anti-paper money, murderous jackass, add a great and powerful leader who helpedescaped slaves, and we keep the ten dollar founding father who have us our financial system.
Magikrazy said:
I figured you would be glad Hamilton is staying.
I came in here to say both of these but I guess I got ninja'd. Thank you.

i'd rather see "In God We Trust" removed from money first b/c I don't think the goverment should promote any particular god or religion

this is still great though

andrew jackson is still going to be there, but on the back of the bill

regardless this is a great move, and it fully has my support. now all it needs to do now is remove the "in god we trust" bit

In all honesty I don't mind "In God We Trust" too much. I mean, it's not like every time I look at a bill and say, "oh no, the US is promoting religion, the world is ending."

I guess I understand why people want it off, but I just don't think it's a big deal. I doubt atheists are actually offended.

Andymii said:
In all honesty I don't mind "In God We Trust" too much. I mean, it's not like every time I look at a bill and say, "oh no, the US is promoting religion, the world is ending."

I guess I understand why people want it off, but I just don't think it's a big deal. I doubt atheists are actually offended.

the money is a piece of our official government. considering that we're supposed to accepting of all policies and religions and that we separate church and state via establishment clause, we shouldn't be promoting specifically one religion, if any religion at all, on our own legal tender

even if the term "god" in "God we trust" referred to all gods, it still wouldn't be right for it to be on our money. not everyone in the USA trusts in a god

Andymii said:

I'm atheist and it doesn't offend me. I don't usually complain about it because I might appear as a pedantic prude, but I honestly want it off the money if I had the means. We should also remove the "under God" in our pledge of allegiance too, on another note. Yeah, there were failed attempts of citing the Establishment clause to get rid of "In God We Trust", but doesn't mean it should stay.

REPLACE "GOD" WITH "ALLAH"
I do agree with the seperation of church and state. But guess what?
Fucks I give: 0
Why stop at the bills and pledges?
Why not take out the politicans with religious-bias agendas....like T**** or C***?

neither "in god we trust" on currency nor "under god" in the pledge of allegiance bother me tbh imo fam

i'm happy to see harriet tubman's getting put on the $20 bill. didn't she liberate hundreds of slaves or something? she's a national hero.

too bad she's not going on the $100 bill... then we could start calling benjamins "tubmans"

tubman is a good choice, and i'm glad hamilton is still going to be honored on the ten

also since it's apparently a side topic now i really don't see why in god we trust is such a super huge deal

Baby Luigi said:
Andymii said:

the money is a piece of our official government. considering that we're supposed to accepting of all policies and religions and that we separate church and state via establishment clause, we shouldn't be promoting specifically one religion, if any religion at all, on our own legal tender
The "In God We Trust" definitely stays, religion, church etc. doesn't matter with that.

TabuuandPeach said:
Baby Luigi said:
The "In God We Trust" definitely stays, religion, church etc. doesn't matter with that.

what an excellent rebuttal to my argument

"In God We Trust" should get removed.

honestly, just change the slogan to "In Cthulhu We Trust". Everybody loses that way.

Back