Who are you voting for (or would vote for if you could)?

Best candidate?

• Hillary Clinton

Votes: 20 48.8%
  • Donald Trump

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • Gary Johnson

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • None of them

Votes: 6 14.6%

• Total voters
Glitchy said:
Andymii said:
Please explain your stance against same-sex marriage; I've always been interested in why people think that.

most people who are against it are because of religion iirc

Pretty much that.

876: It's not that we Christians hate gay people, it's that we hate homosexuality. I think you're misunderstanding it there.

Nabber said:
no, religious beliefs dictate how you live your life, not how you want others to live their lives

It's not dictation, it's rules, if I may.

Charley Dietz said:
Glitchy said:
Andymii said:
Please explain your stance against same-sex marriage; I've always been interested in why people think that.

Pretty much that.

876: It's not that we Christians hate gay people, it's that we hate homosexuality. I think you're misunderstanding it there.
Um, gay people are homosexual....

Boaty McBoatface said:
Charley Dietz said:
Glitchy said:
Andymii said:

Pretty much that.

i think roy's making a "love the sinner hate the sin" thing

although it depends on your application of the religion, you can be christian and not against homosexuality. it's derived from like... three lines in the entire bible or so

Boaty McBoatface said:
Charley Dietz said:
Glitchy said:
Andymii said:

Pretty much that.

What I meant to say was more along the lines of "love the sinner, hate the sin." We don't hate the person, just their actions.

Charley Dietz said:
Nabber said:
no, religious beliefs dictate how you live your life, not how you want others to live their lives

um, the bible is literally dictation...

also, you do know that there's something called separation of church and state?

Bartz Klauser said:
i think roy's making a "love the sinner hate the sin" thing
I don't really get how you can hate the thing, but be cool with the people?

Glitchy said:
Does the bible ever explain why exactly homosexuality is a bad thing?
I think it's because there's something that says we should only have sex for procreation, and obviously gay sex isn't going to produce a kid.

also, roy, something ive always genuinely been curious about in regards to religious people: one of the things that the bible supports is slavery. do you also support slavery?

Boaty McBoatface said:
Glitchy said:
I think it's because there's something that says we should only have sex for procreation, and obviously gay sex isn't going to produce a kid.
there's a command against gay sex in Leviticus, and there's one story where some guy doesn't knock up a woman after god tells him to and gets smited for it (although that could be interpreted as him getting smited for the whole "not listening to god" thing)

i don't recall anything else off the top of my head

e: also the song of solomon is basically "two people banging and talking about how great it is" without bringing up having kids, so i imagine "no procreation" isn't too big a deal

Nabber said:
Charley Dietz said:
Nabber said:

um, the bible is literally dictation...

also, you do know that there's something called separation of church and state?

I know that, but something that's clearly stated as wrong shouldn't be legal.

That brings me to this:

Glitchy said:

I forget the reference, but there's a verse that talks about "one man, and one woman" as the only correct type of marriage.

Nabber said:
also, roy, something ive always genuinely been curious about in regards to religious people: one of the things that the bible supports is slavery. do you also support slavery?

Where does it say that? Also, no I don't.

Time Turner said:
Personally, I never got why other people cared about what other people did. If you think they're sinning, let them sin in peace.

Because Christians want people to believe to be able to go to heaven and live with the Lord forever when they die. If we just excuse the sin, that won't happen.

Nabber said:

*cough* sharia law *cough* taliban *cough*

But yeah, I agree. I'm going to respect Roy's views, but this is my look at this. I went to a Catholic middle school myself and find the Bible great and all, but as a book copied over and over so many times and thousands of years old, it shouldn't be taken verbatim. For example, creationism has been practically disproved, and believing because "the Bible says so" is illogical. It, like many things, has changed views over the time. The same goes with homosexuality. It is an ancient view where homosexuality was seen as a disease. We now have a clearer, modern view of this, and I believe our views should adapt as such. It's an overused argument, but we don't wear mixed fibers or stone infidels anymore (because that just doesn't make sense), so why is homosexuality singled out as still being "bad?"

I'm not homosexual so cannot guarantee the validity of this statement, but I think people don't choose to be gay. Why single people out for something they didn't choose to be anyway?

Homosexuality is seen as bad, because they're seen as different. Some people still treat difference as a bad thing.

Charley Dietz said:
Time Turner said:
Personally, I never got why other people cared about what other people did. If you think they're sinning, let them sin in peace.

Because Christians want people to believe to be able to go to heaven and live with the Lord forever when they die. If we just excuse the sin, that won't happen.
But why? I dunno, maybe a lot of this is dipping into serious theology, but the whole "love thy neighbour as thyself" bit seems contrary to that.

Charley Dietz said:
Nabber said:

Leviticus 25:44-46 said:
“‘Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. 45 You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property. 46 You can bequeath them to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life, but you must not rule over your fellow Israelites ruthlessly.

Chiaki Nanami said:
what if i reject religion

what will you do then

Witness to you like I'd witness to someone who believed a false religion.

I'm going to respect Roy's views,

Thank you Andy.

As for the rest of that post, creation hasn't actually been disproved. If anything, evolution has. Anyway, homosexuality is singled out as bad because of what I said earlier. One man, one woman is the only correct marriage, and no two of the same gender should be married or it essentially defies what the Bible says.

Boaty McBoatface said:
Homosexuality is seen as bad, because they're seen as different. Some people still treat difference as a bad thing.

Actually, it's bad because of what I said above.

Time Turner said:
Charley Dietz said:
Time Turner said:

But why? I dunno, maybe a lot of this is dipping into serious theology, but the whole "love thy neighbour as thyself" bit seems contrary to that.

Honestly, I'm not sure.

Magikrazy said:
Charley Dietz said:
Nabber said:

Leviticus 25:44-46 said:
“‘Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. 45 You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property. 46 You can bequeath them to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life, but you must not rule over your fellow Israelites ruthlessly.

In what way does that promote slavery? All that does is regulate it.

I know that, but something that's clearly stated as wrong shouldn't be legal.
See, here we have a few problems. One, it's not clearly stated in the Bible that homosexuality is a sin; in fact, it's pretty vague wording. Two, separation of church and state means that law is not based off of religion. As in, you may think something is clearly wrong, but if you don't have a non-religious reason for it, then you can't make it a law. For instance, my religious beliefs may entail that I think being a straight white man is wrong, but I can't ban that because other people don't believe that.

Where does it say [slavery is ok]? Also, no I don't.
Funny you should ask. Although you seem perfectly aware of a vague sentence in the Bible that may be against gay marriage, you seem to have no idea that the Bible loves slavery, even though it's in pretty much every part of it if you ever read it. Here's a Wikipedia article on it. As the article so lovely explains, people who opposed slavery back during the Civil War used the Bible as justification for why it should be legal. Sound familiar?

Okay, two things.

1. I was talking in a more general sense, by which I mean atheist homophobes.

2. This is probably the more important one, homosexuality isn't bad. Full stop.

Nabber I'll respond to that when I'm not sleepy.

Boaty McBoatface said:
Okay, two things.

1. I was talking in a more general sense, by which I mean atheist homophobes.

2. This is probably the more important one, homosexuality isn't bad. Full stop.

1. I'm not sure what you mean by "atheist homophobes."

2. Maybe not according to your beliefs, but it is according to mine.

For the record, the Bible also opposes divorce (Matthew 5:31-32; so if someone marries an abusive spouse, divorcing them will permanently taint them), boys who disobey their parents (Deuteronomy 21:18, calling for the death penalty), girls who are raped within the city (Deuteronomy 22:23-25, also calling for the death penalty), cursing your parents (Exodus 31:15, also calling for the death penalty), and a wife grabbing the genitals of someone beating up her husband (Deuteronomy 25:11-12), among other things.

I mean, you're free to believe what you want, as I said previously, but I have a question: are you following the entirety of the Bible?

well, while i wait for your reply, im going to leave you with this quote by good old Jefferson Davis

[Slavery] was established by decree of Almighty God...it is sanctioned in the Bible, in both Testaments, from Genesis to Revelation...it has existed in all ages, has been found among the people of the highest civilization, and in nations of the highest proficiency in the arts.

Back