Pokémon Platinum

KPH2293 said:
As stated, I like all the Sinnoh starters. :P
yusss

in my opinion, sinnoh is tied with hoenn for being the only regions that have all three starters being extremely likable all throughout their evolutions

most other regions give off one or two mediocre starters at best, which is a shame when you have to choose your first pokemon in a later playthrough, after having already chosen your favourite starter

KPH2293 said:
That's a good point. I just make a habit of putting together the best team I possibly can. That, and the battle tower/frontier AI seems smarter to me, and I do that a lot once I've beaten the game.

If I am able to trade between my machines, I've been considering:
*Torterra: Seed Bomb, Earthquake, Crunch, Synthesis
*Infernape: Flamethrower, Close Combat, ThunderPunch, Shadow Claw
*Empoleon: Surf, Flash Cannon, Ice Beam, Signal Beam
*Machamp: DynamicPunch, Earthquake, ThunderPunch, Ice Punch
*Umbreon: Faint Attack, Toxic, Confuse Ray, Moonlight
*Garchomp: Dragon Claw, Earthquake, Stone Edge, Crunch

As stated, I like all the Sinnoh starters. :P This is the ultimate result, which I may not reach completely until the post-game. I've made it a point to go with new Pokémon (i.e. ones that I don't have on my HeartGold file).

uh as for empoleon i recommend removing signal beam and replace it with grass not, since if you dont you might find empoleon having a hard time with a lot of water types. I dont see much point on both dynamic punch and earthquake on machamp though, bulk up would be a better option or rock slide/stone edge.

Magikrazy said:
Replace Umbreon with Houndoom and you're good as gold (and silver :P).

Good idea, although I have a Houndoom on my HeartGold file already lol.

Ultron said:
KPH2293 said:
yusss

in my opinion, sinnoh is tied with hoenn for being the only regions that have all three starters being extremely likable all throughout their evolutions

most other regions give off one or two mediocre starters at best, which is a shame when you have to choose your first pokemon in a later playthrough, after having already chosen your favourite starter

Yeah. Maybe it's because Pokémon Pearl was my first game, but I've always loved the Sinnoh starters.

Effie said:
uh as for empoleon i recommend removing signal beam and replace it with grass not, since if you dont you might find empoleon having a hard time with a lot of water types.

Good point, I'll probably do that.

Effie said:
I dont see much point on both dynamic punch and earthquake on machamp though, bulk up would be a better option or rock slide/stone edge.

Another good point. This (hypothetical) Machamp's move-set stems from the Electivire you can receive from Battle Revolution. I bred him with a female Machop (on my HeartGold file, will move to Platinum once I get the necessary equipment), and that's how Earthquake, Ice Punch, and ThunderPunch got there.

The Stone Edge TM I plan to use on Garchomp, but Rock Slide would work fine should I go that route.

KPH2293 said:
Ultron said:
KPH2293 said:
yusss

Yeah. Maybe it's because Pokémon Pearl was my first game, but I've always loved the Sinnoh starters.

Effie said:
uh as for empoleon i recommend removing signal beam and replace it with grass not, since if you dont you might find empoleon having a hard time with a lot of water types.

Good point, I'll probably do that.

Effie said:
I dont see much point on both dynamic punch and earthquake on machamp though, bulk up would be a better option or rock slide/stone edge.

Another good point. This (hypothetical) Machamp's move-set stems from the Electivire you can receive from Battle Revolution. I bred him with a female Machop (on my HeartGold file, will move to Platinum once I get the necessary equipment), and that's how Earthquake, Ice Punch, and ThunderPunch got there.

The Stone Edge TM I plan to use on Garchomp, but Rock Slide would work fine should I go that route.

well im not sure if bulk up is in platinum, so correct me if im wrong here but its a good option for machamp, used it in my oras playthrough and it was really good, so consider that in longer and more challenging fights, but yeah rock slide works pretty well in most cases, the power isnt too bad, and it has a flinch chance, so thats nice.

overall though yeah you got a good setup or at least a decent run, i mean if you really wanted to break the game then having some pokemon for sandstorm team could easily destroy the game since, garchomp has sand veil and all, but i dont think you will want to do that.

Dark ProtoMan said:
Think about Drain Punch. An attack that deals damage to your opponent and replenishes your HP is awesome.

too bad it wont do much due to being 60 base power.

not very good in 4th gen, kind of a waste, sadly.

On a Machamp with No Guard, which I assume is the case for KPH's Machamp, drain punch can't even hold a candle to dynamicpunch. 100 base attack + STAB + Instant Confusion paired with No Guard so it never misses makes it one of the best attacks, imo. And yeah, drain punch's attack in the 4th gen (maybe the 5th gen too?) is laughable.

P.S. I can move this to Handheld Gaming if you want.

Effie said:
well im not sure if bulk up is in platinum, so correct me if im wrong here but its a good option for machamp, used it in my oras playthrough and it was really good, so consider that in longer and more challenging fights, but yeah rock slide works pretty well in most cases, the power isnt too bad, and it has a flinch chance, so thats nice.

overall though yeah you got a good setup or at least a decent run, i mean if you really wanted to break the game then having some pokemon for sandstorm team could easily destroy the game since, garchomp has sand veil and all, but i dont think you will want to do that.

Yes, I completely forgot about Bulk Up lol, but that would be a good option. According to Bulbapedia, you can get the TM for it in the post-game.

Oboro said:
On a Machamp with No Guard, which I assume is the case for KPH's Machamp, drain punch can't even hold a candle to dynamicpunch. 100 base attack + STAB + Instant Confusion paired with No Guard so it never misses makes it one of the best attacks, imo. And yeah, drain punch's attack in the 4th gen (maybe the 5th gen too?) is laughable.

That was my thinking. I made sure to get one that had No Guard as an ability. I do like drain moves though, and would consider if it were stronger (like it is in the newer generations).

And yes, I would appreciate that, thank you. :)

Oboro said:

no it changed in 5th gen from 60 to 75.

Along with giga drain.

Dark ProtoMan said:
Hey Drain Punch worked wonders on my Infernape.

why would you use a healing move on something so frail?

close combat is way better, hell id rather use focus blast than freaking drain punch in 4th gen.

Dark ProtoMan said:
Variety. Staraptor already has Close Combat, so I decided to give Infernape a different fighting move.

so..?

ah just forget it.

(I deleted my previous two posts)

The 3DS came yesterday (PM me if you want my friend code), and I've decided to start a new HeartGold file. Having two DSes, I was able to preserve much of what I would have otherwise lost, and the following is now doable for the entirety of both games:

HeartGold:
*Feraligatr: Waterfall, Crunch, Brick Break, Swords Dance
*Torterra: Seed Bomb, Earthquake, Rock Slide, Synthesis
*Empoleon: Surf, Flash Cannon, Ice Beam, Grass Knot
*Gengar: Shadow Ball, Thunderbolt, Focus Blast, Psychic
*Machamp: DynamicPunch, Ice Punch, ThunderPunch, Earthquake
*Dragonite: Draco Meteor, Fire Punch, Earthquake, Roost

Platinum:
*Infernape: Flamethrower, Close Combat, ThunderPunch, Shadow Claw
*Venusaur: Giga Drain, Sludge Bomb, Sleep Powder, Leech Seed
*Swampert: Waterfall, Earthquake, Brick Break, Ice Punch
*Alakazam: Psychic, Shadow Ball, Energy Ball, Focus Blast
*Metagross: Meteor Mash, Zen Headbutt, Earthquake, ThunderPunch
*Garchomp: Dragon Rush, Earthquake, Stone Edge, Crunch

Some changes are likely to be made, depending on what moves I have access to. As previously mentioned, I would like to swap out Earthquake on Machamp for Stone Edge should I get the chance.

Edit: I should mention that I don't actually have any of these Pokémon yet. Mine are all babies still. This is just what I want them to become.

Back