Pokémon Platinum

KPH2293

17 Banners
Retired Wiki Staff
Hey everybody,

I'm starting a Pokémon Platinum file as soon as I receive the game in the mail, and I'd like some feedback on my idea for a team.

The end result will look something like this:

*Staraptor: Brave Bird, Endeavor, Close Combat, U-Turn
*Garchomp: Dragon Claw, Earthquake, Stone Edge, Sandstorm
*Umbreon: Faint Attack, Toxic, Confuse Ray, Moonlight
*Tentacruel: Surf, Sludge Bomb, Ice Beam, Toxic Spikes
*Lucario: Aura Sphere, Ice Punch, ThunderPunch, Dark Pulse

And for the starter... I'm undecided. I would take both if I could. I've asked around for opinions, and gotten some good ones, but I'm still torn between:
*Torterra: Wood Hammer, Earthquake, Crunch, Synthesis
Or
*Infernape: Flamethrower, Close Combat, Grass Knot, Shadow Claw

Anything would be appreciated. I may list more ideas later.

I recommend Infernape, though I suggest Thunderpunch instead of Grass Knot since it'll be able to counter water and flying opponents.

Dark ProtoMan said:
I recommend Infernape, though I suggest Thunderpunch instead of Grass Knot since it'll be able to counter water and flying opponents.

I was thinking about ThunderPunch, just wasn't sure which move to switch out for it. But that makes sense.

Fox Mulder said:
i don't know much about teambuilding but any man who has a tentacruel on his team is a good man <3333333

:)

Magikrazy said:
If trading is an option for you, get Alakazam or Gengar.

I would love to (along with some other Pokémon that evolve that way), but I was told that the WiFi for this generation was disabled.

GalacticPetey said:
Torterra is the coolest fucking Pokemon in the world.

Torterra is definitely one of my favorites. In truth, I like all the Sinnoh starters. I just feel like Infernape fits best with this team. Still not 100% sure though.

Dark ProtoMan said:
Wait a sec, why is this in Mindless Junk?

Also, try to come up with a strategy for defeating Cynthia's Milotic and Garchomp.

starting to wonder if im the only one that found cynthia really easy.

Magikrazy said:
I didn't realize it affected local multiplayer as well.

I think it does, but I'm not certain.

Sylveon said:
Keep Umbreon

I intend to lol. I've never raised one before, and I've always wanted to.

Dark ProtoMan said:
Wait a sec, why is this in Mindless Junk?

Also, try to come up with a strategy for defeating Cynthia's Milotic and Garchomp.

Yeah, I didn't put a lot of thought into where it should go lol.

And good point, that may be difficult with this setup. Hm.

Effie said:
starting to wonder if im the only one that found cynthia really easy.

I've beaten her in Pearl before, but I don't recall how difficult it was.

Sorry, I usually don't raise legendary Pokémon.

Anyway:
*Magnezone: Discharge, Flash Cannon, Signal Beam, Magnet Rise
*Hippowdon: Earthquake, Crunch, Some combination of Ice/Thunder/Fire Fang

I don't know who they would replace, just two other ideas I had.

Well on the off chance you use Magnezone Thunderbolt is stronger than Discharge(might prevent some borderline 2HKOs) and TM24 can be gotten without slot machine tedium. It's after you get Surf but it's there. Or you could be brave and try Thunder. I remember a Thunder Magneton working for me in FireRed.

And I think Hippowdown wouldn't do terribly with Stone Edge. I personally would go for Ice Fang since Ice is a fair attacking type and only one Pokemon is immune to it. But I suppose if you despise Water/Flyings you can always go for Thunder Fang.

LN1 said:
Well on the off chance you use Magnezone Thunderbolt is stronger than Discharge(might prevent some borderline 2HKOs) and TM24 can be gotten without slot machine tedium. It's after you get Surf but it's there. Or you could be brave and try Thunder. I remember a Thunder Magneton working for me in FireRed.

And I think Hippowdown wouldn't do terribly with Stone Edge. I personally would go for Ice Fang since Ice is a fair attacking type and only one Pokemon is immune to it. But I suppose if you despise Water/Flyings you can always go for Thunder Fang.

rock slide would be better in most cases, since the combination of earthquake and rockslide/stone edge hits a lot of types.

plus ice fang is weak as shit.

Thanks for the input guys!

Magikrazy said:
I didn't realize it affected local multiplayer as well.

I may have been wrong.

If what I was just told is true, I may be able to get both Torterra and Infernape. I'm getting a 3DS soon, and using that, my old DS, my old Pearl game, and my new Platinum game, I should be able to move one to the other. Also, I could get the trade-evolution Pokémon you suggested.

Magikrazy said:
btw got something against empoleon?

lol no, I was actually thinking of getting that one too.

Edit: Now that it seems trading is an option for me, how about:
*Machamp: DynamicPunch, Earthquake, Ice Punch, ThunderPunch

Also, if I do add Empoleon, I'm thinking:
*Empoleon: Surf, Ice Beam, Flash Cannon, Signal Beam

LN1 said:
Effie said:
plus ice fang is weak as shit.
well yeah. i dunno though, Hippowdown's Gen 4 movepool is nice but hey i think it's not the worst option for the other 2 moves. unless you want to run both toxic and yawn i suppose.

well its a physical wall and its not very fast so i think it would be better off with the moves i listed plus some support moves, i mean i like the thing but i dont really use it as an offensive threat due to its horrible speed.

>Toxic Spikes

bro

bro

BRO

You can't tryhard while you're just playing through a Pokemon game, it makes everything hilariously easy and boring. The AI in this game barely knows how to follow the type chart. I doubt it even knows the difference between Atk/Sp. Atk and Def/Sp. Def.

I'd also like to mention that Spikes/Stealth Rock/Toxic Spikes are only really effective in battles where you expect your opponent to switch out a lot (i.e., a human player who is actually able to switch out). The AI never does this, so unless you're planning on running a phazer to keep Whirlwinding or Roaring their team around it's not going to be as effective as straight-up attacking would be.

Also 90% of the NPCs in these games are pitifully weak and it's honestly most effective to go with moves that have a high PP/Power ratio, such as Flamethrower/Surf/Ice Beam/etc. That way you can spend most of your time OHKOing enemies and won't have to return t-

Wait a second. I'm criticizing your tryharding because you aren't tryharding enough, when the very first thing I said was don't tryhard, it makes it too easy. Forget all that. Uh, just do what's fun. I guess.

KPH2293 said:
*Hippowdon: Earthquake, Crunch, Some combination of Ice/Thunder/Fire Fang

I advise against this, because you will go insane just trying to find a Hippopotas and Sand Stream will can hurt your other Pokemon. Even a minimal amount of HP can make or break you. If you really want a ground type try Garchomp or Gliscor.

While I've never used it, try Drapion. Only one weakness and good physical pokemon.

Javelin said:
>Toxic Spikes

bro

bro

BRO

You can't tryhard while you're just playing through a Pokemon game, it makes everything hilariously easy and boring. The AI in this game barely knows how to follow the type chart. I doubt it even knows the difference between Atk/Sp. Atk and Def/Sp. Def.

I'd also like to mention that Spikes/Stealth Rock/Toxic Spikes are only really effective in battles where you expect your opponent to switch out a lot (i.e., a human player who is actually able to switch out). The AI never does this, so unless you're planning on running a phazer to keep Whirlwinding or Roaring their team around it's not going to be as effective as straight-up attacking would be.

Also 90% of the NPCs in these games are pitifully weak and it's honestly most effective to go with moves that have a high PP/Power ratio, such as Flamethrower/Surf/Ice Beam/etc. That way you can spend most of your time OHKOing enemies and won't have to return t-

Wait a second. I'm criticizing your tryharding because you aren't tryharding enough, when the very first thing I said was don't tryhard, it makes it too easy. Forget all that. Uh, just do what's fun. I guess.

yeah going full metagame on the series isnt really that great of a time, but i dont even do that, since going that route takes quite a bit longer and sometimes i just experiment anyway, just to see how things go. Toxic spikes is a good option regardless though, but steath rock, no its just a waste on the ai and a move slot due to how the ai works, although i typically dont use any of the entry hazard moves in my playthroughs anyway unless i just want to see what happens.

That's a good point. I just make a habit of putting together the best team I possibly can. That, and the battle tower/frontier AI seems smarter to me, and I do that a lot once I've beaten the game.

If I am able to trade between my machines, I've been considering:
*Torterra: Seed Bomb, Earthquake, Crunch, Synthesis
*Infernape: Flamethrower, Close Combat, ThunderPunch, Shadow Claw
*Empoleon: Surf, Flash Cannon, Ice Beam, Signal Beam
*Machamp: DynamicPunch, Earthquake, ThunderPunch, Ice Punch
*Umbreon: Faint Attack, Toxic, Confuse Ray, Moonlight
*Garchomp: Dragon Claw, Earthquake, Stone Edge, Crunch

As stated, I like all the Sinnoh starters. :P This is the ultimate result, which I may not reach completely until the post-game. I've made it a point to go with new Pokémon (i.e. ones that I don't have on my HeartGold file).

Back