A Dilemma for Future Smash Bros. Games

Which would you prefer?

• All or Most of the characters from Smash 4 simply ported over with few changes in the next game

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Everything brand new, even making veterans from scratch, at the risk of losing some well-liked addit

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • A Compromise between the two (Specify what you mean below)

Votes: 5 29.4%

• Total voters
Well if they did add Daisy, they probably would be forced to abandon the series out of shame, so at least you got that right.

You guys do realize that each new Smash is usually running on a new engine of sorts. New physics, new pacing, new everything. So they have to recreate every old character from the ground up. New models, new programming, testing, balancing, everything. Probably not this game which might just be like Splatoon 2 and reuse the same engine and assets. But otherwise it's A LOT of work to make a roster this size.

But there is a solution my friends but it's not one anyone but me ever suggests.

Cuts.

As in, instead of bringing back every character we cut some and replace them with new characters. That way the work load doesn't get insane by Smash 7. You'd maintain a roster size at around 55-60 each game. You get new characters... But you'd have to sacrifice some old ones.

I'd be okay with this. You could replace Sheik (a character from a 20 year old Zelda game) with a new Zelda character. Maybe someone from Breath of the Wild? And then in the next Smash, that Breath of the Wild character would be replaced with whoever is in the newest Zelda game.

But at the expense of fan favorite characters? At the expense of unique movesets? Even if Smash for Switch isn't a port, I'd say they can reuse a lot from Smash 4. It wouldn't be too far-fetched since Smash 4 borrows a lot from Brawl.

Oh yeah, this topic is now more relevant then ever given we don't quite know the status of the upcoming game completely.

My stance is still this game will be a bit of a compromise. A majority of if not all of the characters will return. With some getting tweaks here and there but otherwise stay mostly faithful to how they were in previous games. This will come at a cost of likely a much smaller number of Newcomers in the main game then we may be used to. But they'll make up for it with a longer period for DLC.

Nintendo will still market it as if it's a brand new game, and there will be plenty of new content that may very well make it at least arguable enough to count. But generally the feel in terms of way most of the characters handle, the graphics, gameplay, and at least most of the stages will feel more familiar with Smash 4 then any transition between a new game.

There may be moments that will feel cookie-cutter from Smash 4. But it won't feel so bad when you compare it to say all those franchises that release yearly games that are just about the same thing but with maybe one new mode and a roster update like the EA Sports games or the Call of Duty titles. It won't be a reboot of the franchise that some in the minority kind of want (Though I understand why people would say Smash Bros. character rosters have become too bloated) either as much as that might sharpen the core of the game. But that's if the game was geared just for the hardcore fighting game base rather then encompassing all kinds of fans of not just fighting games, but fans of nintendo in general, people playing video games for the first time, etc. and all that kinda calls for a large roster to try to appeal to many. Cause you want to make longtime players happy to see their character back, as well as attract new fans with more recent characters too. So if Smash Bros. was meant to encompass many types of fans, this was the natural direction it must take.

I think the remake with most if not all the characters from Smash 4 plus a few more characters would be more feasible than starting from scratch because it is getting released later this year. If it was started from scratch we would wait until at least 2020 for a release which would delay it and we don't want all the delays we had with Brawl with the upcoming Smash game.

GalacticPetey said:
But at the expense of fan favorite characters? At the expense of unique movesets? Even if Smash for Switch isn't a port, I'd say they can reuse a lot from Smash 4. It wouldn't be too far-fetched since Smash 4 borrows a lot from Brawl.
Other fighting games cut massive amounts of characters each new installment. But Smash fans get super upset at the idea. Why?

New unique movesets? New characters bring unique movesets too you know. And even if the character is a fan favorite they should be happy to have had the privilege of being in Smash even once. Most fans of certain Nintendo characters would die to have their beloved character appear just once in that game.

I always felt that cuts would be a great way to give a whole slough of Nintendo characters and series a chance in the spotlight. Imagine all the characters and series from across history (retro and new) these games could cover. But clinging on to veterans prevents something like that.

As for this game. I theorize it is not entirely something new and will pull assets from the Wii U game. Because of that I'm certain all the old characters will return.

Because unlike (most) fighting games, these characters aren't new original creations. The only reason they're included in the game to begin with is because they have intense fan followings. That's why it's a bigger deal when one is cut.

I'm not a Marvel vs Capcom follower, but didn't fans get really upset when Mega Man was absent in one of the games, and is there a lot of discussion (and, well, arguments) about the characters?

GalacticPetey said:
Because unlike (most) fighting games, these characters aren't new original creations. The only reason they're included in the game to begin with is because they have intense fan followings. That's why it's a bigger deal when one is cut.

The intense fan following seems to come from Smash alone for some characters. Does anyone care about Ice Climbers outside of Smash itself? They are kind of lousy characters from kind of a lousy game. But because they were in Smash people love them now... Well sort of. People don't actually love the real Ice Climbers, people love the Ice Climbers fighter.

I'm almost certain that most people who want Ice Climbers back in Smash haven't even played the original game. And if they did, they didn't care too much about it.

I think that mindset practically applies to most characters: if they had a role in a more major and fun game, people will like them for that role in that said game. I love the Ice Climbers, love their play style, want to see them back, and I don't care for their original game.

See also: Baby Luigi.

Russian Baby Luigi said:
I love the Ice Climbers, love their play style
I think they have undoubtedly the worst, most annoying playstyle in the game. Pretty fun to play as, though.

Back