Twilight Princess HD has a new dungeon - but you need an amiibo to unlock it

Time Turner

You are filled with determination. (R/GD/TT)
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-01-14-zelda-twilight-princess-hd-has-a-new-dungeon

Without a Wolf Link Amiibo, there's a whole dungeon that you can't access. There's no word on what it contains, but $10 DLC should be halfway decent.

also this suuuuuucks

That's cool, I already own the game so shoutouts to nintendo for giving me even less of a reason to buy this.

Eh, I don't think that alone would put me off. It's a crappy business decision, sure, but then I'll just buy the game without buying the figure. Will it suck that I'm missing out on something? Sure, but I don't think I'll miss much from a single dungeon.

if anything additional content only makes this game better

it kind of sucks that its limited to an amiibo but eh

That kinda the point, tho. People are annoyed because Nintendo's selling an old game that many people have already bought and then selling something else on top of that.

as if nintendo would be the only company doing that please

im completely fine if its tp because that was a good game

To simplify calculations, let's assume that Hyrule Castle is a dungeon. This means that there are nine dungeons in the original game. Adding another one is the same as adding 11.111...% more dungeons. But there are more than dungeons to a Zelda game. According to How Long To Beat, the average completionist playthrough of Twilight Princess is 56 hours. The reason that I am using this metric as opposed to any other metric is because I feel like additional content will mostly appeal to those that already belong in the completionist pile and it will likely not pull anyone over to become a completionist. Let's assume that it takes the player an average of two hours for each dungeon in the game.* This means that 18 of those hours are gone, meaning the remaining 38 hours are spent doing side-quests and progressing the plot in the overworld. Now, 18/56 is approximately 32.2%, whilst 38/56 is approximately 67.8%. To simplify these numbers, let's round them to the nearest third. Anything non-dungeon related now takes up approximately two thirds of the game. Meanwhile, the dungeons take up one third of the time spent playing the game. Splitting this third into ninths, we reach that each dungeon takes up 1/27th of the game, or approximately 3.7%. If my estimations have been correct, adding two hours to this is literally adding 3.7% of content and thinking that this deserves to require an amiibo. I should think otherwise.

*[size=6pt]This is purely an estimation of this figure. I have no science backing this claim. One way you could obtain a better estimate of this is watching countless of blind runs on YouTube of the game and try to obtain an estimate that way, but that seems way too excessive for a forum post. This estimate may be biased considering I already know every dungeon and what they require the player to execute.

I love amiibos but man this sucks really hard.

Remember when new levels in remakes weren't locked behind paywalls?

Time Turner said:
Eh, I don't think that alone would put me off. It's a crappy business decision, sure, but then I'll just buy the game without buying the figure. Will it suck that I'm missing out on something? Sure, but I don't think I'll miss much from a single dungeon.
Pretty sure upselling is a good business decision bruh

I was gonna get it and the amiibo anyway so this is good. Support local devs making Nintendo IP yo

amiibos are just lose-lose for some people however you see it.

They moan and groan that amiibos don't do enough. Or they moan and groan that they lock content behind paywall. Overall though, they overlook the physical value of those desktop decorations, as they still look pretty neat and you can find them in several spots in the store. Nintendo merchandising isn't that rich in these parts.

Finally, for this, can we at least get an official confirmation rather than this, which is a rumor?

I agree, I really like the looks of it, but I doubt I'll be getting it soon short of a friend's surprise.

Dr. Mario said:

They moan and groan that amiibos don't do enough. Or they moan and groan that they lock content behind paywall. Overall though, they overlook the physical value of those desktop decorations, as they still look pretty neat and you can find them in several spots in the store. Nintendo merchandising isn't that rich in these parts.

Finally, for this, can we at least get an official confirmation rather than this, which is a rumor?
The problem with this mindset is it assumes the physical value of amiibos are worth a damn. I don't think so. I'd rather not have on-disc content be locked behind a paywall that is reliant on there being supply on what removes the wall. But apparently this train of thought is irrational because there is some physical value in these that is incomprehensible to me.

Chiaki Nanami said:
Dr. Mario said:

The problem with this mindset is it assumes the physical value of amiibos are worth a dang. I don't think so. I'd rather not have on-disc content be locked behind a paywall that is reliant on there being supply on what removes the wall. But apparently this train of thought is irrational because there is some physical value in these that is incomprehensible to me.
Yes, the physical value is worth a damn for some people; don't assume they aren't because you personally don't see it. What one person's trash is another person's treasure, and I myself don't get amiibos primarily for the stuff they unlock/provide. The figurines themselves are well-made and has a certain geek appeal which is probably why they can be pretty popular among collectors and why we even have merchandising and scalping (unfortunately) in the first place. All in all, a very sizeable amount of people want these figurines for their appearance, affordability availability (as I said, Nintendo merchandising is pretty slim, even the Mario stuff), and the content they provide is only a bonus. I'm one of them. The problem, though, is the extent of these bonuses, and they sometimes feel pretty sleazy, as we've seen with Splatoon amiibo. amiibo Festival, and Mario Party stuff, or too scant, as we've seen with Mario Kart 8. But my point is that there is value in these figurines outside of what the video-game-related stuff they provide, and to dismiss that value because you don't understand it is pretty narrow-minded to me.

I'm not trying to make you or anyone like these things; as I said, it boils down to how Nintendo handles them and I've already been highly critical of how they handled Splatoon and amiibo Festival, but I just don't like this "they're worthless because I find them worthless" argument. But all in all, to some people, amiibos are either worthless or a content-locking/seasonal pass scam while others view them as a treat and don't really care about what they provide, but may unwittingly encourage bad business practice. You can't please everyone.

i've had enough of the amiibo now, the fact that you have to buy a hard to find figure just to unlock extra content is stupid

My only question for this whole thread stands: any confirmation on this?

Dr. Mario said:
This.

And I also hope people realize this new dungeon would probably only offer rupees and maybe some cool Easter eggs. It's not like you're going to unlock something that's gonna have a big impact on the game. They're not gonna alter Twilight Princess to include new weapons or lore.

GalacticPetey said:
Dr. Mario said:
This.

And I also hope people realize this new dungeon would probably only offer rupees and maybe some cool Easter eggs. It's not like you're going to unlock something that's gonna have a big impact on the game. They're not gonna alter Twilight Princess to include new weapons or lore.

Not to mention that even if it is just with the amiibo, they'll probably have it to where you can buy it as DLC, which hopefully they'll do for people that were unfortunate enough not to get one. I mean, for how many people that will buy the game vs. how many amiibo figurines there are, it would be foolish on their part to make it amiibo exclusive like that.

I think GameXplain said something about it also being usable in the upcoming Zelda Wii U, but I can't really remember.

so what are we supposed to be applauding Nintendo for reselling and old game and then making us spend more money to actually get the new content

if I buy a game I want to be able to play the fucking game, not buy something else that allows me to play what I already bought

here have a video with an annoying voice-over

not necessarily a dungeon, but yeah 100% completionists be mad because clearing it gives you a wallet that can hold 9999 rupees or something

ganon giving you double damage is hilarious

Back