The CAPTCHA

Reboot

Goomba
That visual captcha in registration is literally impossible, as far as I'm concerned. For the first time in my life, I had to resort to an audio captcha - and even after hearing the letters read out, I *still* couldn't see half the letters in the image!

I'm sure it dissuades (some) spambots, but I wonder how many humans it also throws out. Something to review, maybe?

[Apologies if this is the wrong forum, I didn't see a better one at first glance.]

Pretty sure this is. Surprisingly though, the Captcha didn't stump me.

Is it because I'm wearing glasses? Hell if I know.

the captcha is pretty notorious for being ridiculously difficult (enough we had at least one member commit account suicde immediatly after registering), but when asked about it, the forum owner response was that even with the captcha as hard as it is,spambots still filtered through.

sorry

Captcha is really annoying, for me as i wear glasses, myself and find it hard to make out those damn tiny letters.

Glowsquid said:
the captcha is pretty notorious for being ridiculously difficult (enough we had at least one member commit account suicde immediatly after registering), but when asked about it, the forum owner response was that even with the captcha as hard as it is,spambots still filtered through.

sorry
Wouldn't that be more of a reason to use something else?

If it's deterring humans from creating accounts and not even filtering out spambots, it seems like a pretty poor system.

Well of course some spambots are let through, it's impossible to totally filter out bots without letting in some humans as well. but what about the ones that are actually kept out? Any data on those? no, unless bot regs actually get lowered

Back