Video Footage of obscure DK3 ports

SiFi

Just a flight attendant guy.
MarioWiki
SiFi
So I just found these by doing the unthinkable: checking the second page of a google search.

There are also versions somewhere for PC88 and FM-7 but I don't suppose there's anything about those that stand out.

What do you make of this? What does the wiki make of this? Same page as the arcade/NES version, or a new page altogether?

Pi said:
I don't know anything what the Wiki will do, but I do know this
QmcgQ7l.png

Thanks for informing me, weird port of Donkey Kong 3.

Donkey Kong confirmed a more canonically OP villain then Ganondorf :dk:

Let's just say it looks pretty clear why they are obscure.

What do you make of this? What does the wiki make of this? Same page as the arcade/NES version, or a new page altogether?

I think a page named Donkey Kong 3 (Hudson Soft) would make sense since there seems to be a lot of stuff shared between those two versions and they're different from the other ones.

Time Turner said:
oh

oh they're in space

okaaaaaay
"hi stanley"
"hey mario, how's 1984 been treating you"
"oh, you know. i got to wander around a construction site again and fight eggplant monsters with my brother. how about you"
"glad you asked. dk and i met some aliens and went to space and fought in an active volcano and saw a mushroom cloud"
"..."
"what's wrong mario"
"...you're not allowed to be in any more games"
Glowsquid said:

I think a page named Donkey Kong 3 (Hudson Soft) would make sense since there seems to be a lot of stuff shared between those two versions and they're different from the other ones.
Well according to this it actually had a subtitle to distinguish it from the original, but that article seems to have only had screenshots to go on since it seems to think that the highway is the only background (or at least the only one worth noting)

I showed this on another forum and a guy said:

So first off, that kanji tacked on to the title, 大逆襲, reads "Revenge", so this is officially a sequel, Donkey Kong 3 Revenge, and not a port.

so yeah, Donkey Kong 3 Revenge it is.

Actually, if it's only in Japanese and never been translated, it'd be "Donkey Kong 3: Dai Gyakushū" (I think - I'm actually at work atm and the computer here doesn't load Japanese text and I don't have my dictionaries so I can't confirm that's the reading, but copying the mysterious squares from the quote there and putting them in Google yields things saying "dai gyakushū" so I'm assuming it's right).

But yeah, pretty awesome find.

EDIT: So I'm home now, and yeah, that's how the kanji's pronounced. A better translation would also be "great counterattack", since "revenge" is taking a bit of artistic liberty there (大 - great/big/etc., 逆 - reverse/etc. 襲 - attack; 逆襲 - counterattack).

Sorry to bump this extremely old thread, but this is topic in need of more discussion. I've always found this game quite interesting, and since no one else had done it, finally gave it its own page: http://www.mariowiki.com/Donkey_Kong_3:_Dai_Gyakushuu

Well, I guess we know why Stanley hasn't appeared since 1984. Quite odd for Nintendo to make an arcade-style game in that way with no clear ending.

I have yet to find the rom of this game, and due to only a small group of people knowing its existence, it may remain unplayable for years. I've looked through all rom sets, nothing. Obviously this isn't the place for sharing roms, but should someone find it, they should try to spread it in some way.

As a matter of fact, Mario Bros. Special and Punch Ball Mario Bros. need updating as well; it turns out that they were released on more platforms than originally believed, and Mario Bros. Special is notable for being, to my understanding, the only Mario game released on the PC-9801. Considering the hardware of that computer, I'm very curious as to how it'd play.

Back