Total Supermoon Eclipse Tonight

Phyllis said:
Oh my god, it's happening. A black shadow is slowly eating the moon.

i didnt see the moon at all at around 4:15 am.

which is sad because i set an alarm for this. and ive been tired this entire day.

Phyllis said:
I kind of wonder what was so super about this moon though? It pretty much looked the same way it always looks.

It's at is perigree, which means it's slightly close to Earth than normal, which would mean it's slightly bigger in the sky and it's brighter. Only dedicated sky-watchers can really tell the difference. To me, I'm pretty sure it was brighter and that I could see the moon's features better, but then again, I had an eye examination recently and I was wearing astigmatism correcting lenses this time so *shrugs*.

Here's a pic of the difference

Supermoon_comparison.jpg

Emmett Brown said:
Phyllis said:
Oh my god, it's happening. A black shadow is slowly eating the moon.

i didnt see the moon at all at around 4:15 am.

which is sad because i set an alarm for this. and ive been tired this entire day.

In the sky, it should be near the western horizon, since that's where the moon sets in the morning hours. And if you didn't see it, it's during the phase where it passes from the penumbra into the umbra (or other way around), since the full moon is really hard to miss in the sky.

You clouds blocking the moon. Screw you clouds in the sky, for losing my advantage!

I'll be around on these forums when it happens again, when I'm 30

We've seen it. It's pretty, and I do think it's probably frightening for people back then due to the dim eerie colors.

Oh no, that's just the next supermoon eclipse

The next total lunar eclipse will occur on January 31, 2018, and apparently, Europe won't see it.

Back