Problems with Wii Discs

Glitchy Bowser Jr.

"Stuff it, sponge brain!"
So recently a lot of my Wii's discs are giving me errors that the game disc could not be read. For example whenever I play a certain SSE level or the PictoChat stage in Brawl it happens or in Mario Sluggers if I hit a home run it happens. Usually I can take the disc out and put it back in and it'll work. On some games it doesn't work though and even though I try to clean the disc the problems continue. It's worse because in Sluggers on the story mode it freezes whenever I take a step and taking it out or cleaning the disc doesn't solve it which means I'll never get the unlockables. Any other way to fix it?

if its happening on more than one game and there arent any visible scratches its most likely a problem with the disc tray though

in which case you can probably do nothing except for securing all your save files on a sd card and sendingbthe thing to nintendo for repairs since theyll replace everything thats inside

that probably also means that whatever you bough in the wii shop before will also be gone since theres no such thing as nn yet on the wii so i woulrnt recommend it unless it gets worse (games arent read at all anymore or something)

the other way would be to mod your wii with a new disc tray, but thats probably more expensive and timeconsuming than what i just said

As Freakworld said, this is a problem with your Wii. I know this because I had this EXACT problem not too long ago. Let me ask you this: does your GameCube discs still work? If so, then yeah, I had dealt with this the exact manner.

The only way you can fix it is by sending it into Nintendo, which means you should back-up your save data because chances are, they'll just send you a brand-new spanking Wii like they did with mine. It'll cost you a little under 100 dollars to get it fixed unless your warranty is still applicable (and I doubt it is).

Baby Luigi said:
As Freakworld said, this is a problem with your Wii. I know this because I had this EXACT problem not too long ago. Let me ask you this: does your GameCube discs still work? If so, then yeah, I had dealt with this the exact manner.

It's a Wii U but all of my Wii U discs do work and plenty of Wii discs work, it's just these that give me problems: Brawl, Mario Sluggers, Skyward Sword (but that one has unfixable scratches), Mario Strikers Charged, Mario Party 8, Mario and Sonic at the Olympics, Mario and Sonic at the Winter Olympics, and I think I recall it freezing in NSMBWii.

I don't want to have to get my Wii U replaced just because of some Wii games not working though.

http://techforums.nintendo.com/message/143551

here's what i found. Appearently some people have been getting errors with wii games since an update. I haven't been getting such errors though and I don't think many other people have either.

unfortunately though they're just redirecting you to the tech support, mostly.
for the brawl one, somebody had the idea that the wii u has troubles reading a two layered wii disc, but since most of your games are single layered that shouldnt be the problem either.

you could try playing your games on somebody else's console to determine if it really is a console error.

because if it is, fixing a wii u disc tray will be even harder than for the wii and i dont think youll get around to sending it in for nintendo to check.

im currently digging through a german support page maybe theres something else

When certain things happen (SSE and PictoChat on Brawl, Home Runs and walking in story mode for Sluggers or just starting the game for anything else I mentioned), you can hear a noise on the Wii U and then the message appears with a black background (or white for Brawl).

okay disney infinity suggests that the "disc could be improperly formated for use on the wii u" ("Die Disc ist nicht richtig formatiert (Wii U)."), but i dont know what the fuck that means. nvm theyre referring to the wii u game

also they suggest you could try to clean the lens of your disc tray if you can somehow reach it without opening the console.

Is there any obnoxious BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP noise?

Glitchy said:
you can hear a noise on the Wii U

i guess so?

I don't have any experience with wii or wii u bricking errors unfortunately so I'm probably not that big of a help anyways.

That means it's trying to read the discs I think.

If those games are valuable to you, I say you have no choice but to send it in. If you try using Nintendo's tech support, they'll say you the exact thing.

Let's hope they don't charge you too much. Baby Luigi and I had to send in our Wii because Wii discs refuse to work, and we got a new, free Wii in exchange. We lost our data and stuff, but it's a price worth paying.

I think I might try to see if there are any scratches I didn't see first. I don't think getting it fixed would be worth it because the games (except Brawl and Sluggers) are games I don't play as much. But sometimes I want to play them. Also are Wii U games data tied to the NNID or the disc?

it depends

stuff you bought is on your nnid (and can be reused on another console i think (not exactly sure nintendo mightve prevented this))

you save files are on the console and can be backed up

the games are on the disc obv.

Glitchy said:
I think I might try to see if there are any scratches I didn't see first. I don't think getting it fixed would be worth it because the games (except Brawl and Sluggers) are games I don't play as much. But sometimes I want to play them. Also are Wii U games data tied to the NNID or the disc?

If multiple games, especially ones you don't play often, all don't work, it's far more likely that your game system is at fault rather than multiple discs having serious scratches unless they all are handled poorly. I've used Melee disc in its entire lifetime or so, still no scratches and errors, those discs are really built to last if you handle them properly, and I assume you handled them properly. And if you check for scratches, make sure you check the label side as well, that's the most vulnerable part of the disc since that's where most of the data is layered in.

Back