Packy's Countdown/Lists Thread

Red Barchetta

Talk less, smile more.
Revising this post now: this was an old project from like two years ago, and I'm hoping to revive it just for the hell of it! My original intention with this thread was to do long, complex countdowns (as you can see in the posts below, a top 45... ridiculous), both of my own creation and by request, of my favorite things!

In bumping this topic I'm going to drop the old countdown I was doing and just take requests for countdowns anyone would like me to do. Instead of doing post-by-post, I will most likely just do one post with my countdown/list. If anything, I would probably most likely do top 10s to top 20s, depending on the subject.

If you have anything you would like to request for me to rank/countdown/list of my own personal things, let me know! I want to get back into doing this a little because I have fun ranking stuff.

• CURRENT: N/A
  • PLANNED: Favorite Movies; Top 10 Favorite Songs with Weird/Unique Lyrics; Favorite Rock Songs of All Time

Re: Packy's Countdown/Lists Thread (Top 45 Favorite Bands/Artists)

45. Daft Punk

daft-punk-630.jpg

Genre(s) (by Wikipedia): French house
Years Active: 1993-present
Notable Songs: “Get Lucky”, “Harder, Better, Faster, Longer”, “Digital Love”, “One More Time”, “Robot Rock”, “Technologic”
Favorite Songs: “Get Lucky”, “Give Life Back to Music”, “Instant Crush”, “Giorgio By Moroder”, “The Game of Love”, “Beyond”

So let’s kick off this list with one of the very few recent bands in my top 45: Daft Punk, the French electronic duo!

I very recently got into Daft Punk after a friend of mine suggested I listen to the Random Access Memories album. Truth be told, any early stuff I had heard by Daft Punk I honestly was not that big into, until “Get Lucky” was released and became the success it did. So going into RAM, I was a bit skeptical but really excited to hear if there were any more gems on this album besides “Get Lucky”.

I was very happy with what I found.

The album, in my opinion, is still highlighted by the Pharrell Williams and Nile Rodgers collaboration of “Get Lucky”, but the album is full of gold and it alone cemented Daft Punk on the borderline of my top 45. The beginning of RAM is filled with three of my favorite Daft Punk tracks: “Give Life Back to Music”, “The Game of Love”, and “Giorgio By Moroder”, all three of which sound very different from one another but are still complimented very well by the existence of Daft Punk’s amazing electronic sound.

44. Bruce Springsteen

9056-bruce_springsteen_2014_420x250.jpg

Genre(s) (by Wikipedia): Rock, heartland rock, folk rock, roots rock, Jersey Shore sound
Years Active: 1965-present
Notable Songs: “Born to Run”, “Born in the U.S.A.”, “Glory Days”, “Dancing in the Dark”, “Thunder Road”, “Pink Cadillac”
Favorite Songs: “Badlands”, “Hungry Heart”, “The River”, “Born to Run”, “Thunder Road”, “Prove It All Night”

Paging GalacticPetey, paging!

I have had a strange relationship with Bruce Springsteen. I have had a compilation of his for years, but I never listened to it and, outside of what I consider his big three (“Born to Run”, “Born in the U.S.A.”, and “Glory Days”), I honestly never really listened to any Springsteen. And then I randomly decided one day last year to finally listen through the compilation.

Ooooh boy.

I was pleasantly surprised. I had never really been a Springsteen fan, I honestly never really liked “Born in the U.S.A.”, and I just kind of went off the basis that his stuff is just really, really raw. But loooord, I was then introduced to the track “Badlands”. Mark it down, one of the greatest songs I have ever heard, it’s so good, and it’s by far and away my favorite Springsteen song. But I even got to hear songs like “The River” and “Hungry Heart”, the latter of which I had heard several times before but never actually knew it was The Boss. All three, along with “Born to Run” and “Thunder Road”, have become five of my favorite songs to listen to randomly and they have made me appreciate Springsteen even more.

Factor in the fact that I watched a live-streamed three-hour concert of his in Texas last year when the NCAA Final Four was being held there… just flawless. I do not think I have ever seen a live performer quite like Springsteen.

Eri Ayase said:
itt packy 45posts

shuddup u'll nvr figur out me secrets and intentions ;w;

John Frusciante said:
this looks exciting

LOOK, A SUPPORTER, I LOVE YOU BANJO <333

43. Billy Joel

billy-joel.jpg

Genre(s) (by Wikipedia): Rock, rock and roll, soft rock, pop rock, pop, classical
Notable Songs: "Piano Man", "Only the Good Die Young", "My Life", "It's Still Rock and Roll to Me", "We Didn't Start the Fire", "New York State of Mind"
Favorite Songs: "Prelude/Angry Young Man", "Scenes from an Italian Restaurant", "Pressure", "The Entertainer", "Allentown", "The Downeaster 'Alexa"

So if you cannot tell, there's going to be a loooot of classic rock/pop sort of guys on this list.

So with that, here is #43: Billy Joel! Billy Joel is kind of... interesting in the fact that his music covers so many genres, more than what was mentioned beforehand. Ranging from "Piano Man" to "Movin' Out (Anthony's Song)" to "The Longest Time" to "We Didn't Start the Fire", they all sound different, and it is ridiculous how well the sound is executed in all of them.

Joel is also interesting in the fact that he has been considerably big in three different decades (more-so the 70s and 80s, but I will lob in the 90s just because of River of Dreams). He is one of the all-time best selling artists (for really good reason, I might add :')), and there is so much to choose from in his discography.

My personal favorite is "Prelude/Angry Young Man", a song that, in particular with "Prelude", shows off how well his piano playing actually is (seriously, go watch a live performance of "Prelude", it's ridiculous). But "Angry Young Man" is also a great track by itself, and together they make what is my favorite Billy Joel song of all-time.

42. Cream

3166524-cream1.jpg

Genre(s) (by Wikipedia): Psychedelic rock, blues rock, hard rock
Years Active: 1966-1968
Notable Songs: "Sunshine of Your Love", "White Room", "Crossroads", "Badge", "I Feel Free", "Strange Brew"
Favorite Songs: "White Room", "Badge", "Tales of Brave Ulysses", "Strange Brew", "I'm So Glad", "Crossroads"

One of the pioneers of psychedelic rock, and most certainly one of the most influential yet short-lived bands of all time, #42 is Cream. A trio composed of bassist Jack Bruce, drummer Ginger Baker, and one of the greatest guitarists of all time in Eric Clapton, Cream is heavily regarded as the first largely successful supergroup of all time.

Cream is a bit of an odd band in the fact that their sound is very... strange, and can sort of range from being very complex and psychedelic to sounding relatively simple. For example, "White Room", my favorite Cream song, sounds extremely psychedelic with a really strong guitar, all the while a song like "Badge" (co-written by George Harrison of The Beatles) sounds considerably simple (at least by Cream standards).

Cream also brought perhaps one of the greatest guitar songs of all time in their cover of "Crossroads", a song heavily driven by Clapton's guitar playing with perhaps one of the best guitar solos of all-time.

Safe to say, they were pretty darn good at what they did with the sound they had.

do a countdown of favorite movies, or something

Nabber said:

HMM WHY DO I HAVE A FEELING THAT I KNOW WHAT WOULD BE ON #1

Chloe Beale said:
*Springsteen*
fb4821a55878e400ce303c79cd0aff6a97bc6ac5e61181e7598338deff5bc8f5.jpg

You mentioned his live performances. I've had the pleasure of going to six of his shows. Even at the age of 65, he moves around the stage like a mad man.

Born to Run is easily my favorite album of his. Every song on it is great.

Nabber said:

Eri Ayase said:
Nabber said:

HMM WHY DO I HAVE A FEELING THAT I KNOW WHAT WOULD BE ON #1

this is literally my favorite post ever

But I will most certainly do a favorite movies list, even though it should be really easy to figure out what the top 2 would end up being. I'd be really interested in trying to figure out my ordering after that, though!

GalacticPetey said:
Chloe Beale said:
*Springsteen*
fb4821a55878e400ce303c79cd0aff6a97bc6ac5e61181e7598338deff5bc8f5.jpg

You mentioned his live performances. I've had the pleasure of going to six of his shows. Even at the age of 65, he moves around the stage like a mad man.

Born to Run is easily my favorite album of his. Every song on it is great.

I would love to actually attend one of his shows, his live performances are absolutely amazing and I'm stunned at how long each show ends up being, and how well he and his band ultimately perform for such a long duration of time. I just miss the Big Man, though. )':

41. "Weird Al" Yankovic

Weird-Al-2011-c.-of-Sony-Music.jpg

Genre(s) (by Wikipedia): Parody, comedy, polka
Years Active: 1976-present
Notable Songs: "Eat It", "Fat", "Smells Like Nirvana", "White & Nerdy", "Amish Paradise", "Word Crimes"
Favorite Songs: "The Biggest Ball of Twine in Minnesota", "Hardware Store", "Amish Paradise", "White & Nerdy", "Tacky", "Smells Like Nirvana"

Soooo... this guy!

Easily the king of parody music, #41 is "Weird Al" Yankovic! A master of creating absolutely amazing spoofs and parodies of existing songs, all the while creating his own songs that ultimately match the style and sound of other bands, Weird Al has been around since the mid-70s, but ultimately didn't hit it huge until the release of "Eat It".

And then the rest is history.

Weird Al has provided some of the most well-known parodies of all time, ranging from his spoofs of Michael Jackson's "Beat It" and "Bad", the former being the aforementioned "Eat It", while the latter being titled "Fat". He also gave us "Smells Like Nirvana", a spoof of Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit". Do you know how amazing THAT was? Kurt Cobain, who was the frontman for Nirvana, stated that Nirvana had officially "made it" with the success of Weird Al's parody.

It's extremely difficult trying to figure out my favorite Weird Al song, I love them all, but it probably has to go to "The Biggest Ball of Twine in Minnesota". The song, a spoof of the storytelling-type songs released by Harry Chapin and Gordon Lightfoot, is as outrageous as the title sounds. It is also a considerably lengthy song, clocking almost 7 minutes long, but the entire adventure is worth it.

hardware store is a gr8 song

Weird Al's definitely awesome. A lot of his parody songs are always fun to listen to.

And just when I thought I couldn't like him more, he made an awesome guest appearence in Friendship is Magic where he even got to sing a few times. The episode itself also happens to be amongst the best of the series.

Nabber said:
hardware store is a gr8 song

I almost went with that as my favorite, it was so difficult to choose. ;w;

Northern Verve said:
Weird Al's definitely awesome. A lot of his parody songs are always fun to listen to.

And just when I thought I couldn't like him more, he made an awesome guest appearence in Friendship is Magic where he even got to sing a few times. The episode itself also happens to be amongst the best of the series.

I still haven't watched that episode, but I've seen some bits of him singing (isn't it in some battle or something against Pinkie Pie?), and it was really really awesome. I really need to watch that episode :').

40. The Beach Boys

Beach-Boys-1.jpg

Genre(s) (by Wikipedia): Rock, pop, surf rock, psychedelic rock
Years Active: 1961-present
Notable Songs: "California Girls", "Good Vibrations", "Kokomo", "Surfin' U.S.A.", "Wouldn't It Be Nice", "I Get Around"
Favorite Songs: "God Only Knows", "Sloop John B", "Wouldn't It Be Nice", "Good Vibrations", "California Girls", "Barbara Ann"

Considered one of the all-time greatest bands in music history, #40 is claimed by the Beach Boys! Well-known for their distinct sounds and harmonies, the Beach Boys were largely powered by the mind of Brian Wilson, a very troubled man but an absolutely amazing songwriter and producer.

The Beach Boys are responsible for an album considered one of the all-time greatest, titled Pet Sounds. They are also responsible for "Good Vibrations", sometimes said to be one of the greatest songs of all-time. Both the album and "Good Vibrations" were an exit of-sorts for the band, a departure from their recognizable and distinct beach/surfing sounds.

What the Beach Boys are responsible for (lots and lots of responsibility in this one!) in regards to me, however, is one of my all-time favorite songs and one of my favorite songs of the 1960s. One of the most popular tracks off of Pet Sounds is a gorgeous, almost 3-minute long tune titled "God Only Knows". The beautiful song showcases the brilliance of Brian Wilson, along with the underrated vocals by Brian's brother, Carl Wilson, and just how great the album actually was, AND how great the band truly was in the 1960s.

Chloe Beale said:
Northern Verve said:

I still haven't watched that episode, but I've seen some bits of him singing (isn't it in some battle or something against Pinkie Pie?), and it was really really awesome. I really need to watch that episode :').

Yeah there's one song that's a music battle between Pinkie and Cheese Sandwich (Name of Pony Weird Al voices) there's also one that's partly a duet between them. The episode is a Musical (Most of the episode is comprised with songs, with still some moments of normal dialouge)

But yeah, it was really cool. And as I said one of the best the series has had. When you get the chance, the episode is called Pinkie Pride ^^

I predict you'll finish this towards mid-late July, gg future requests.

Northern Verve said:
Chloe Beale said:
Northern Verve said:

Yeah there's one song that's a music battle between Pinkie and Cheese Sandwich (Name of Pony Weird Al voices) there's also one that's partly a duet between them. The episode is a Musical (Most of the episode is comprised with songs, with still some moments of normal dialouge)

But yeah, it was really cool. And as I said one of the best the series has had. When you get the chance, the episode is called Pinkie Pride ^^

Huh, alrighty. owo I didn't realize he sang so much in it. I will let you know as soon as I do watch it :'D

Lyn said:

:dk:

I'm gonna try to be better in getting these out quicker, I promise ;w;.

39. The Monkees

MonkeesFeature.jpg

Genre(s) (by Wikipedia): Rock, pop
Years Active: 1966-1971, 1986-1989, 1993-1997, 2001-2002, 2010-present
Notable Songs: "Daydream Believer", "I'm a Believer", "Last Train to Clarksville", "Pleasant Valley Sunday", "A Little Bit Me, a Little Bit You", "Valleri"
Favorite Songs: "Look Out (Here Comes Tomorrow)", "(I'm Not Your) Steppin' Stone", "Sometime in the Morning", "Daydream Believer", "She", "Valleri"

One of the most successful "fictional" bands claims #39: the Monkees! A quartet made up of Peter Tork, Micky Dolenz, Michael Nesmith, and the late great Davy Jones, the Monkees were formed for The Monkees, an American television show which aired from 1966 to 1968. At first, the band was originally restricted to almost solely singing, not being allowed to play any instruments due to time constraints for the television show. The band, however, came into their own and gained the right to do what they wanted with their music (and that meant being able to play!) Paired-up with the songwriting of Neil Diamond, Carole King & Gerry Goffin, and Tommy Boyce & Bobby Hart, among others, the Monkees hit it big, even outselling the Beatles and the Rolling Stones combined in the year of 1967, at the Monkees' peak.

I have listened to the first five Monkees albums, and I am so glad I have. They are adventures on their own, with albums containing songs that sound nothing alike - some sound very pop-like, others are rock, while some are even country-styled, and others are just... completely out there. The perfect representation of this wide array of styles (at least, to me) happens to be my favorite Monkees album, More of the Monkees.

Their second album houses "I'm a Believer", one of the band's biggest hits, but the gems on the album are as great if not better. Ranging from the opening track "She", to the insane "Auntie Grizelda", to the country-styled "The Kind of Girl I Could Love", the gorgeous "Sometime in the Morning", to my absolute favorite Monkees song, the Neil Diamond-penned "Look Out (Here Comes Tomorrow)", a very nice, albeit short, mixture of pop and rock.

Rest in peace, Davy Jones.

Chloe Beale said:
Lyn said:

It's not really your pace, it's more so the size of your undertaking. Forty-five huge posts take time, I would've kept it to twenty at most imo.

Lyn said:
Chloe Beale said:
Lyn said:

It's not really your pace, it's more so the size of your undertaking. Forty-five huge posts take time, I would've kept it to twenty at most imo.

Yeahhh, that probably would've been better. I've had a lot of fun doing 45 but it probably wasn't the best thing ;w;. I may double up, though, I dunno ヽ( ◕ヮ◕)ノ

38. The Blues Brothers

the-blues-brothers.jpg

Genre(s) (by Wikipedia): Blues, rhythm and blues, soul, blues rock, comedy music
Years Active: 1976-1982, 1988-present
Notable Songs: "Soul Man", "Rubber Biscuit", "Everybody Needs Somebody to Love", "Sweet Home Chicago"
Favorite Songs: "Expressway to Your Heart", "Who's Making Love", "Everybody Needs Somebody to Love", "Rubber Biscuit", "Soul Man", "Sweet Home Chicago"

We're so glad to see so many of you lovely people here tonight, and we would especially like to welcome all the representatives of Illinois' Law Enforcement Community who have chosen to join us here in the Palace Hotel Ballroom at this time. We do sincerely hope you'll all enjoy the show, and please remember people, that no matter who you are, and what you do to live, thrive, and survive, there are still some things that make us all the same! You, me, them, everybody, everybody!

The movie is absolutely amazing, and so is the music and the band. The Blues Brothers, originally headed by John Belushi (Jake) and Dan Aykroyd (Elwood), originated from the sketch show Saturday Night Live and took off from there. The duo, backed by an incredible band featuring the late Donald "Duck" Dunn and Paul Shaffer, released their first album titled Briefcase Full of Blues in 1978, and followed that up with the amazing The Blues Brothers movie in 1980. Tragically, Belushi died in 1982 and the group has never quite been the same, even with replacing Belushi with his brother, Jim.

My favorite Blues Brothers song is "Expressway to Your Heart". I cannot express (no pun intended) how much I love this song. A cover of a Soul Survivors song, it was released a year before Belushi's death, and it's Jake and Elwood at their finest. Aykroyd's low-vocals and Belushi's rawness are at full view in the song and it is absolutely gorgeous to hear.

37. The Grass Roots

sub-GRILL-obit-articleLarge.jpg

Genre(s) (by Wikipedia): Folk rock, psychedelic folk, psychedelic rock, pop rock
Notable Songs: "Sooner or Later", "Let's Live for Today", "I'd Wait a Million Years", "Midnight Confessions", "Heaven Knows", "Temptation Eyes"
Favorite Songs: "I'd Wait a Million Years", "Let's Live for Today", "The River is Wide", "Heaven Knows", "Hold On", "Midnight Confessions"

Underrated. Underrated, underrated, underrated.

The Grass Roots are an American rock/folk band who were well-known and charted several times throughout the 60s and 70s, and have widely received airplay on radio stations in the form of "Sooner or Later", their 1971-hit song that ultimately became one of their last charting songs.

Once you dig under "Sooner or Later", however, you reach a large mine of treasures. Some other Grass Roots are well-known (although not on the level of "Sooner or Later"), ranging from the 1960s classic "Let's Live for Today", to my personal favorite, the drum and horn-driven "I'd Wait a Million Years". The Grass Roots unfortunately never did have a #1 hit, notching three #10 hits with "Sooner or Later" (#9), "Let's Live for Today" (#8), and the first Grass Roots single to ever feature horns, "Midnight Confessions" (#5).

If the first bit of this entry was not obvious enough, I personally believe the Grass Roots are vastly underrated, and it is a shame they do not receive more attention. Their music is great and frontman, bassist, and songwriter Rob Grill was a genius. Rest in peace.

36. Led Zeppelin

149668206_zep_537466c.jpg

Genre(s) (by Wikipedia): Hard rock, blues rock, folk rock, heavy metal
Years Active: 1968-1980
Notable Songs: "Stairway to Heaven", "Kashmir", "Whole Lotta Love", "Immigrant Song", "D'yer Mak'er", "Black Dog"
Favorite Songs: "Over the Hills and Far Away", "Fool in the Rain", "Heartbreaker"/"Living Loving Maid (She's Just a Woman)", "Good Times Bad Times", "Kashmir"

One of the most influential and innovative groups of all time, Led Zeppelin might honestly be the loudest band on this list, but my lord they are great. Composed of the quartet Robert Plant, Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones, and the late John Bonham, Led Zeppelin was an odd mixture of a raw and heavy guitar-driven sound and blues music that made them sound like one of the true starters of heavy metal. The band, however, also pulled many other sounds out from other genres, in particular, folk music.

Zeppelin, in terms of song popularity, are known for their signature eight-minute long adventure titled "Stairway to Heaven". The song is split into three sections; the first being a relatively slow and acoustic-based folk arrangement. The second section is basically a louder version of the first section, this time being accompanied with electric instruments, and then the final section is a very loud hard rock arrangement, with a great guitar solo by Page paired with the legendary high-pitched vocals of Plant.

My absolute favorite Zeppelin song is "Over the Hills and Far Away", a song marked by a great acoustic guitar intro, which then turns into a bit of a hard rock track, with electric guitar, John Paul Jones' bass, and Bonham's strong drum-work.

35. Badfinger

badfinger.alamy.jpg

Genre(s) (by Wikipedia): Rock, power pop
Years Active: 1969-1975, 1978-1984
Notable Songs: "Day After Day", "No Matter What", "Come and Get It", "Baby Blue", "Without You"
Favorite Songs: "No Matter What", "Baby Blue", "Come and Get It", "Day After Day", "Maybe Tomorrow", "Without You"

Before we start, I am also considering the band The Iveys to be Badfinger, considering the Iveys basically just became Badfinger. So no one can yell at me for "Maybe Tomorrow". Okay, good, go. ;w;

Another vastly underrated group who holds more airplay in terms of number of songs than the Grass Roots do, the Iveys were one of the first groups ever signed to the Beatles' Apple label, and eventually changed their name to Badfinger. Badfinger was a very depressing band, especially considering the amount of success they had. The group had four consecutive worldwide hits - "Come and Get It", which was written and produced by Sir Paul McCartney, "No Matter What", my personal favorite Badfinger song, "Day After Day", which was produced by George Harrison, who also supplied some guitar work on the song, and "Baby Blue", which featured a resurgence just a few years ago when it was used in the series finale of Breaking Bad. Truthfully, Badfinger is one of those bands where their most well-known songs are their best songs.

Why I say Badfinger was a depressing band, however, was because of the members of the band. Managed by American businessman Stan Polley, Badfinger ultimately suffered from several situations of mishandled money as a result of Polley. Pete Ham, the lead singer and songwriter of the group, committed suicide in 1975 as a result of these issues, among other band-related problems. Tom Evans, another member of Badfinger, ultimately committed suicide in 1983, after having an argument with another band member and not being able to get over his bandmate and friend's death. Mike Gibbins, another band-member, died in 2005 as a result of a brain aneurysm, leaving Joey Molland as the only principal band member alive.

Bump! Hoping to give this thread another go, with some different stuff!

Godot said:
Revising this post now: this was an old project from like two years ago, and I'm hoping to revive it just for the hell of it! My original intention with this thread was to do long, complex countdowns (as you can see in the posts below, a top 45... ridiculous), both of my own creation and by request, of my favorite things!

In bumping this topic I'm going to drop the old countdown I was doing and just take requests for countdowns anyone would like me to do. Instead of doing post-by-post, I will most likely just do one post with my countdown/list. If anything, I would probably most likely do top 10s to top 20s, depending on the subject.

If you have anything you would like to request for me to rank/countdown/list of my own personal things, let me know! I want to get back into doing this a little because I have fun ranking stuff.

Back