Xenoblade Chronicles X

Meta Knight

Accepting applications for The 'Shroom
Core 'Shroom Staff
Crackin made us realize there was no such thread for this. That changes NOW!

Oh boy, I'm so hyped for it. I never played Xenoblade, but I really want that to change. I really want to play this game.

It just looks like the kind of adventure I want to experience.

Trailers:

Music:

This looks freaking epic!

I still need to play Xenoblade, but if it's like I hear it is then my eagerness to play it will be justified.

To be honest, I'm not very interested in this yet.

I need to see some more actual gameplay, like one would see at the Nintendo Treehouse events. It looks and sounds quite different, but I don't know whether or not this is a good different.

I can understand that. However I have not played a Xenoblade game and just really want to so someone inexperienced such as myself doesn't really know what could be different (aside from the different protagonist)

Off the top of my head, this game has a silent protagonist (this actually legitimately bugs me at the moment), no planned dedicated healer, obviously a new cast of characters (no known major characters from the original XC returning), species and locations, online multiplayer, planned DLC, and I believe there's something akin to branching stories? Well, I haven't been too dedicated when it comes to following news on this game, there's probably more than that stuffed in.

Though you guys should totally play the original first, it's so good.

Lyn said:
Off the top of my head, this game has a silent protagonist (this actually legitimately bugs me at the moment), no planned dedicated healer, obviously a new cast of characters (no known major characters from the original XC returning), species and locations, online multiplayer, planned DLC, and I believe there's something akin to branching stories? Well, I haven't been too dedicated when it comes to following news on this game, there's probably more than that stuffed in.

I know it is I really want to but I don't have a new 3ds and the original is so rare and expensive on it's own ;_;

I can't wait for this but I really wish Shulk and friends would return, even as NPCs or something. I'm guessing the most they will get is a cameo.

Lyn said:

Why do they have to have a silent protagonist? Why? This isn't starring Mario. This isn't starring Link. I don't know if this was Nintendo or Monolith's decision, but come on.

No healer will be interesting.

I don't mind the new cast and locations as long as they're memorable, but I still hope for some cameo from Xenoblade.

The online multiplayer and branching stories sound like they have potential though.

This game looks stunning, but that's what I'm worried about. It might be too focused on being next-gen than actually having good gameplay.

Character customization looks cool. I love how you can make your character look like a creepy old guy/lady from down the bottom of the street. Also boob size adjuster confirmed

OK, just watched the Nintendo Direct. I find it DISGUSTING how we have to pay for better loading times.

Discord said:
OK, just watched the Nintendo Direct. I find it DISGUSTING how we have to pay for better loading times.

I'm pretty sure the data packs are free downloads.

Toa 95 said:
Discord said:

I'm pretty sure the data packs are free downloads.
Well, if they are, that's okay. But they said you would "purchase" the data packs in the Direct, which really activated my paranoia. And even if they're free, some people don't have the Internet, so the game will take forever to load because they can't use the Internet for the eShop to download the packs.

The data packs are completely free, and even if you can't get them the loading screens aren't too much longer, except maybe with fast traveling, and even then the game still plays seamlessly when you're not fast traveling, which until you've gotten to the point where you're backtracking for optional side quests (if they work how I expect they will) you're not going to need to do too often.

I just looked at Metacritic. Currently X has a Metascore of 83.

An 84 from 32 critics. Pretty damn good game, that means.

I just listened to Black Tar and I actually really like that music (maybe it should be in Smash Bros. for Wii U, that would be pretty epic). I still think the lyrics are pretty silly, but I do like the instrumentation and the vocals themselves. I'm not sure why people would dislike it, but tastes are tastes.

If any of you have this game, what is your opinion on it so far?

I'm picking this up for Christmas, from the moment I learnt Hiroyuki Sawano was composing the music for this game I've been interested so that's basically the majority of the reason I'm getting this game. The other part is because I'm enjoying Xenoblade not-X's battle system and I assume they share that. I heard the world is huge, which is actually kind of a turn off since the huge areas in not-X have frustratingly large amounts of empty space and I've never been a fan on giant world maps. Hopefully they improved that.

I've been listening to some of the music in the meantime, ah it's so good.

edit: The data packs add up to 10GB. But those load times in that video are 9-14 seconds longer just for fast travel so fuuuuck not having them. I considered not getting the Skell pack but I'm not taking any chances.

I wish the tutorial wasn't so long, they spent so much time explaining town mechanics that could be summed up easily. I glossed over the manual when I was bored last night and it didn't have anything new, might be useful for people who didn't play the first game or can't put two and two together.

Player-created character integration is poor so far, they're just a walking dummy that has no personality and only serves to make cut scenes incredibly jarring by halting everything until you pick from two non-important options that do nothing different from one another besides one or two lines of dialogue.

I'm gonna finish chapter 3 whenever I have time to play, possibly chapter 4. I heard the story picks up once chapter 5 gets going.

Yeah if they go so far as to let you pick your own voice it's a shame that you can't hear your character talk more.

Okay. Just got the game, and am a little overwhelmed by the everything. Can I get a little ELI5 for the combat system and what those icons do? So far I've just played through the prologue and have randomly selected stuff for each encounter.

It does give you a description of what each art does below them when you hover over them in battle. Alternatively you can go into the menu and select Party > Arts and then check what each do that way. You can also change the layout of them and upgrade them there.

Attacking from the back or side is better than the front iirc, you're less likely to miss so position yourself well. Slit Edge does bonus damage when hitting from the side, Back Slash does bonus damage from the back, etc.. You can lock onto appendages to damage them as you damage the enemy, it can remove an attack from their arsenal or just weaken them overall. Once you figure out what your arts do and the best way to utilize them together, you'll have the battle system down ez.

Don't feel like it's necessary to know everything right away, if you're having trouble after chapter 3 then just read the manual. I didn't get anything new from it by then but you might.

I'm not sure how well I'll do today but I plan on finishing the game. If not, maybe I'll at least have 50% of the game completed. I think I'm at 66 hours so hopefully I'll end before I hit 80.

Back