Niiue's Sprites

So, BotW's given me an idea for the Paper Mario fangame.

tl;dr: cooking system overhaul in which recipes generally combine the HP/FP/status effects of their ingredients instead of being mostly random

is that a good idea or

As long as you put some limits on what can and can't be combined because that shit sounds like it has potential to break the game.

Magikrazy said:
As long as you put some limits on what can and can't be combined because that *bleep* sounds like it has potential to break the game.

well yeah there'll definitely be limits

if only because there's no way i'm gonna go through the trouble of programming tens of thousands of new items

mdLe14a.png

this hurts the mario

oh yeah, and here are some planned retranslations i haven't added yet:

Big Cookie ==> Tayce Cookie

Bland Meal ==> Tayce Dinner

Dried Pasta ==> Dry Dry Pasta

Egg Missile ==> Egg Bomb

Gold Credit ==> Gold Card

Koopa Leaf ==> Turtley Leaf

Silver Credit ==> Silver Card

Super Soda ==> Fresh Juice

Yummy Meal ==> Tayce Special

Changed this

Merluvlee said:
I see...a Refund Badge. It's on the far side of the Koopa Bros. Fortress. Use a Bomb to blow a hole in a wall, then go outside to find a part of the castle that juts out into the water. The treasure chest rests there, and the Badge lies within it.

To this

Merluvlee said:
I see...a Refund Badge. It's on the far side of the Koopa Bros. Fortress. Use a Bob-omb to blow a hole in a wall, then go outside to find a part of the castle that juts out into the water. The treasure chest rests there, and the Badge lies within it.

In accordance with the Japanese version.

(would take a screenshot, but I don't know how to skip ahead in the game)

edit: should probably go without saying, but i fixed the one time in the game where watt's referred to as male

Changed these:

Dryite said:
The sister, Merluvee, is a fortune-teller who will tell you where to find Badges.

Jr. Troopa said:
Let's see how you like the new, improved Jr. Koopa!

Jr. Troopa said:
I'll never be be scared away by such a cheap trick!

Parakarry said:
Another letter, duly received. A postman's job is never done.

To these:

Dryite said:
The sister, Merluvlee, is a fortune-teller who will tell you where to find Badges.

Jr. Troopa said:
Let's see how you like the new, improved Jr. Troopa!

Jr. Troopa said:
I'll never be scared away by such a cheap trick!

Parakarry said:
Another letter, duly delivered. A postman's job is never done.

Oh yeah, actual fangame-related update:

Since creating my own engine in Unity would be difficult (read: borderline impossible), I'm gonna just put the fangame's development on hold for now until Star Rod's released. I'll still make new sprites and post them as soon as possible, though.

changed this

Russ T. said:
There's a grim guy called Anti-Guy who guards a special treasure chest... According to a book I read a while back, he absolutely loves Lemon Candy. If you take one to Anti-Guy, he might mellow out a bit.

to this

Russ T. said:
There's a grim guy called Anti Guy who guards a special treasure chest... According to a book I read a while back, he absolutely loves Lemon Candy. If you take one to Anti Guy, he might mellow out a bit.

Welp, a few edits from the same part of the game:

First off, I changed all instances of "Li'l Oink" to "Li'l-Oink", since the latter is used in all but two lines of dialogue.

I also changed an instance of "Li'l-Oinks Farm" to "Li'l-Oink Farm" for consistency with the rest of the game's dialogue.

And finally, the most interesting change!

Goombario said:
And there's also Oink-Oink Farm, where they raise Li'l-Oinks.

Had to correct an instance of "Oink-Oink Farm", which I'm guessing is an early name for Li'l-Oink Farm.

edit: Coincidentally, the Japanese name of Li'l-Oink Farm basically means "Oink-Oink Farm", so it's probably just a mistranslation.

so, the paper mario retranslation's gonna be on hold for a bit until star rod comes out, most likely

however, it doesn't mean i'm done retranslating games, either.

screen1_by_binarystep-dbdftbl.png

screen2_by_binarystep-dbdfuh1.png

screen3_by_binarystep-dbdfw38.png

During the Forever Forest fight with Jr. Troopa, he refers to himself as Jr. Koopa. Did you happen to catch this and change it.

Wow. They actually look better than their official SM64 sprites! Keep it up!

items_by_binarystep-dbf1bcv.png

In order: Block Block, Block Meal, Bomb, Dusty Jump, Hot Sauce, Ice Flower, Lantern, Life Shroom, Max Shroom, Orange, Poison Shroom, Royal Max, Royal Shroom, Royal Super, Royal Ultra, Space Food, Spike Helmet, Superball Flower, Super Shroom, Trade Off, Ultra Shroom, Volt Shroom

badges_by_binarystep-dbf1bcz.png

In order: Fire Drive, Hammerman, Head Rattle, Ice Smash, Jumpman, Lucky Start, Simplifier, Soft Stomp, Unsimplifier

Back