Nintendo Switch

1 2 Switch GOTY 2017

• Yes

Votes: 13 39.4%
  • Yes

Votes: 20 60.6%

• Total voters
Re: Nintendo NX

Yeah that won't even be possible until in a distant future...

Although the concept is definately interesting!

Emmett Brown said:
Yeah that won't even be possible until in a distant future...

Although the concept is definately interesting!

Yeah I was just having fun. :) My guess is that the NX will probably have something like the occulus rift.

Glitchy said:
Cartridges please. Discs are really fragile and get scratched easier. But I would like them to be bigger than the 3DS cartridges.

The problem with cartridges would be the manufacturing costs I think. Discs are cheaper and usually the cheaper option is most likely to win...although not always. (Bluray vs HD-DVD)

Dinomyte said:
Yeah I was just having fun. :) My guess is that the NX will probably have something like the occulus rift.

I'm not sure. Nintendo has had their experiences with VR before (Virtual Boy), and Reggie has openly stated that he doesn't like the current VR developments, and that was after coined the NX iirc, which implies that, at least as far as he knows, Nintendo isn't going to involve with VR anytime soon.

However I'd definately like to see it.

Dinomyte said:
The problem with cartridges would be the manufacturing costs I think.

Seeing how cheap SD cards and the like have gotten I doubt this.

You are right, SD cards are now so cheap. For some reason when I heard cartridges all I could see is Nintendo 64 cartridges which were really bad. Low memory and pricey. "it was estimated that a PlayStation disc cost about $1 to manufacture while an N64 cart could cost upwards of $15. " I traveled to the past :)... I doubt they would use a regular SD card but rather something proprietary in order to prevent the piracy.

yeah but they could use a similar tech.

I'm pretty sure anyways that Discs themselves are becoming more and more obsolete.

But what if they release the Nintendo Blu-X with high quality sound and video capabilities? That will be sure to replace the DVPS4

it's not even going to matter

like, really, a 32 GB micro sd card costs 10€, so im assuming its like 3€ production costs max.

a blu ray you can write stuff on starts at 15€, so its probably more expensive to make, and can only hold like 20 GB max. the only reason discs are still in use is because blu ray and dvd players are still widely distributed. you can already see that the trend is shifting away from discs seeing as my (and other current gen) laptop does not even have a disc tray, however it does have a sd card slot.

also when we're looking at games, many current games either
-require a hueg download first time after inserting the disc
-come on like, 5 discs
or are just a steam key on a disc, which is because games nowadays greatly exceed (Final Fantasy 13 at 50 GB, GTA V at 60 GB) the max. storage a single blu ray can have.

Emmett Brown said:
it's not even going to matter

like, really, a 32 GB micro sd card costs 10€, so im assuming its like 3€ production costs max.

a blu ray you can write stuff on starts at 15€, so its probably more expensive to make, and can only hold like 20 GB max. the only reason discs are still in use is because blu ray and dvd players are still widely distributed. you can already see that the trend is shifting away from discs seeing as my (and other current gen) laptop does not even have a disc tray, however it does have a sd card slot.

also when we're looking at games, many current games either
-require a hueg download first time after inserting the disc
-come on like, 5 discs
or are just a steam key on a disc, which is because games nowadays greatly exceed (Final Fantasy 13 at 50 GB, GTA V at 60 GB) the max. storage a single blu ray can have.

I think large companies will buy in bulk and not pay the same price that you mention for Blu-ray or SDCards. For the consumer it will always be more expensive thought.

I also think the trend is not shifting away yet because the new blu-rays 4k are on their way. The blu ray will soon hold from 66GB to 100GB. The only reason its been removed from the laptops is for portability as it doesn't make sense to watch a bluray on the laptop or have a disc (since you download the apps or games form Steam or others).

People prefer to either stream a movie or have a portable drive for at home which they plug in the laptop. I do agree streaming has gained a large amount of popularity but I don't think Blu-ray has said its last words yet. ;)

Well, at least in the long run I think that discs will once become obsolete. And besides that, the same thing you say about dvds/blu-rays could apply to sd cards and the like as well :P

Re: Thoughts about the NX.

I have no strong thoughts or expectations.

oh boy this got merged

Yeah I'm gonna leave the poll up for a bit if anyones interested.

"The specs seem nice, but it's really about the library of games."

That's a "no shit" choice for any new console, really.

I'm really hyped, it sounds really promising. But it better have certain games like "Mario Kart 9" and "Mario Bros. NX" after launch, since Mario Kart 8 did'nt launch until 8 months after the Wii U's launch.

Porygon-Z said:
I'm really hyped, it sounds really promising. But it better have certain games like "Mario Kart 9" and "Mario Bros. NX" after launch, since Mario Kart 8 did'nt launch until 8 months after the Wii U's launch.

* A year and 8 months (so 20 months).

ElectricWaluigi said:
What do you think of the NX. Is gonna sell like hotcakes or bomb like a Bob-Omb?

Given the fact that we really don't know what it will be (new home console, new handheld, something completely different), it's hard to say how it will sell. This generation of Video Game Consoles are not as strong as last console in terms of sales, so I'm not sure if it'll be much stronger, but things happen, so we'll see how it does.

supermariofan said:
With Cloud being in Smash, I hope this means that the FFVII remake will also be ported to the NX

tbh i think this is what's going to be the next logical step, I don't see why they wouldn't do this.

I am so hyped for 2016. I can't wait for the NX.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-files-patent-for-unique-free-form-touch-c/1100-6433023/

Just gonna leave this here.

http://blogs.barrons.com/asiastocks/2016/01/05/nintendo-slips-nx-to-eat-into-3ds-wii-u-nomura-cuts-target/

new rumor, except this time it caused nintendos stock in japan to go down by 5% lol.

https://twitter.com/mochi_wsj/status/689690622022713344

>2016
>not using your nx to turn on your ps4

Back