The Sonic General Thread (Team Sonic Racing Released!)

Re: The Sonic the Hedgehog General Thread (Most Recent Game Release: Sonic Runners)

Sonic Colors DSwas pretty much Sonic Rush 3 and I consider it to be part of the series, since it held the same core gameplay just with Wisps put in.

It's not a bad game, it's too short, easy and had some mediocre boss battles which makes it inferior to the first two rush games.

Re: The Sonic the Hedgehog General Thread (Most Recent Game Release: Sonic Runners)

Sonic Generations is the best sonic game. That's all I have to say about the series really.

Kyon said:
Sonic Generations is the best sonic game. That's all I have to say about the series really.

My thoughts on Generations is that I do think it certainly belongs amongst the top of the franchise. But it's too short for my liking, I know the PC version kinda fixes that with the modding community but I'm kinda unable to even get into that. (I use Macs, durr hurr hurr go ahead and say "get a pc/real computer". I don't care :P)

But yeah the console version I have with the PS3 that you can't get anything added to just feels almost as barren as the white space that's in the level select area.

I'm willing to say Generations is one of the top Sonic games of the franchise, but it's a long way from beating out my personal favorite even if I know my favorite isn't necessarily the best game of the franchise. Sonic Adventure 2: Battle is still my favorite out of the franchise. It introduced me to Sonic, I loved the gameplay (Even the Tails/Eggman and most of Knuckles/Rouge levels), Much more replay value that includes a Multiplayer and the Chao Garden, The Music, etc. It would take alot to beat it out for me. And Sega's not exactly taking any big project or risks in order to due so. Which is understandable of course. So for that reason I'm not sure any Sonic game will ever top SA2:B to me.

(Though Sega should really get on at least a Chao Garden thing for the 3DS eShop of some kind. I'd buy that in a heartbeat)

Northern Verve said:
My thoughts on Generations is that I do think it certainly belongs amongst the top of the franchise. But it's too short for my liking.

precisely this

what i expected was at least 2 zones per game + maybe some extra stuff

but nope, had to stretch it out with uneccessary and repetetive missions (at least i thought so).

I don't really see how the game length would be a problem unless it's under 5 hours or so.

Which it wasn't, took me a good 15+ hours to 100% it which I believe is a good range for a game to have. Not so long that it gets boring, not too short that I'm aching for more.

Also I spent a few hours just replaying my favourite Modern Sonic courses for fun, just trying to get through as fast as possible because that's the greatest thing about sonic games; that sense of speed.

My single complaint would be the final boss, it's atrocious. Fuck that thing, not even the music was good to salvage it.

Looking back on SA2:B, it was a really fun game but only when I played the sonic/shadow levels; the other characters were okay but it really slowed the game down. Chao Garden was a nice distraction and I loved it as a child but when I went back to it a year or so ago I found myself wondering what I enjoyed about it to begin with, it's still a nice distraction but I can't seem to praise it like other people can any more. I can't praise the game as a whole like other people can any more.

i never bothered for chao garden before, what can you even do there?

Raise Chao, feed them fruit and the animals you collect, etc

and now i know why i ignored it all these years

throw your children at walls until they cry

or feed them stuff so they turn into weird looking chao's that have stats for these really short and kind of unmemorable minigames where you let them fight to the death or force them to run a marathon.

I guess the charm is in raising a family of chao's, giving them names and taking them to the Chao School then watching them grow into weird mutated chao's as you feed them living animals or sticks of nuclear waste.

maybe ill not skip the chao garden the next time i accidentally pick up a chao key in sa2

Kyon said:
My single complaint would be the final boss, it's atrocious. Fuck that thing, not even the music was good to salvage it.
look out it's a homing shot

The Chao garden was my favorite part of Sonic Adventure. It's pretty much the sole reason I still play it today.

my favourite part was playing city escape

and then playing it again

and again

and again

it sometimes still happens today

fuck yeah city escape

I'm a metal harbour kind of person.

I played that one over and over.

oh yeah that one was awesome too

and the last sonic/shadow level

Kyon said:
I don't really see how the game length would be a problem unless it's under 5 hours or so.

Which it wasn't, took me a good 15+ hours to 100% it which I believe is a good range for a game to have. Not so long that it gets boring, not too short that I'm aching for more.

I'm not a completionist, I almost never 100% my games. So I don't really care too much about most extra collectables or extra missions unless they're necessary for progressing in the game (Ex: Super Mario 3D World's Green Stars).

Actually technically Sonic Generations had a bit of this in that you had to get keys by doing extra mission in order to unlock the other main levels. But some of those were annoying to me such as the Tennis match with a music symbol with Vector where I think if I remember correctly if you miss it kills you for some odd reason. I think there were other missions I weren't fond of playing either and thus I never felt I wanted to go to another mission mode level after all the main levels were unlocked.

Eri Ayase said:
i never bothered for chao garden before, what can you even do there?

You take care of virtual chao pets.

Surprisingly complex for one too considering there are many different ways you could make your chao

Neutral_Evolution_Chao_Chart_by_ChaoGarden.png

Hero_Evolution_Chao_Chart_by_ChaoGarden.png

dark_evolution_chao_chart_by_v1ciouz_mizz_azn-d342ow1.png

I have to admit that I actually really cared for my chao, as if they were actual living animals. I could never bring myself to hit one.

Maybe there was this one time I decided to get a Chao just to abuse it just to see some of the stuff that happens. But even after a little bit, I started feeling bad so I put it in the Chao Transporter for the "Say Goodbye" function (AKA the Delete your Chao option)

Hey, it makes me feel morally good that I wouldn't even abuse a virtual pet for long :V

There's also Chaos Chaos (Kay-oss Chows), but I can't seem to get them because my Chaos aren't dying and therefore not reincarnating.

They must love you too much to die.

Pelt them at walls for immediate results.

I need that Fly Fly Chao because it looks like Nights

The one in Sonic Advance/Pinball Party is also cool, even though it's pretty small and theres only one Chao.

What'd be excellent is if Sega did a bit of an expansion on the Pokemon Amie mode you find in X&Y and apply that to a Chao-based game with fun minigames to boost your Chao's stats. And still have a garden you can walk around in, this time perhaps with a 1st-Person view since it wouldn't exactly be a Sonic game if it was Chao Garden specific. Using the touchscreen to pet and/or interact with your Chao.

EDIT: I'm assuming this would be for 3DS. But Wii U would work too with the Gamepad. Chao in HD would be sooooooo cute.

man i remember having a dark chaos chao back in the day

dude wrecked everyone at the karate game

Kyon said:

Nah, they don't reincarnate if you're mean to them.

Magikrazy said:
Kyon said:

Nah, they don't reincarnate if you're mean to them.
It was joke, of course you don't throw them at walls lol

Though I did remember reading that they died faster if you were mean to them.

You know what fucking shit pissed me off the most? When they'd jump in the water when they couldn't swim. Chaos are genius', 'let's just go drown myself yay'.

Back