The Kirby thread for everything Kirby

Amusingly enough its usually either an unseen narrator or the villains who do the most talking.

The Kirby series, I feel, is one of the most underappreciated Nintendo series we have. Underwhelming reviews for such amazing games, little promotion by Nintendo, modest sales, is more prone to experimentation than Mario games.

I think Kirby as a platformer is far superior to the Mario platformers, but that's my opinion.

I wouldn't say superior but they do somethings I wish the Mario ones would do, mainly the personality and charm, and their boss fights are actually fun and enjoyable.

I agree about it being underappreciated though.

Magikrazy said:
This grass feels like pants

I blame the yarn

One of the many incarnations of Return to dreamland was a 3D platformer but apparently they weren't happy with it.

Maybe it became more difficult as it went along to make an enjoyable game that wasn't frustrating?

Personally I don't see a 3D Kirby game working out all that much.

I'd like to play as the baddies like in one of the other stages of Return to Dream Land's development.

Said baddie wouldn't happen to be poppy bros jr would it?

Magikrazy said:
I'd like to play as the baddies like in one of the other stages of Return to Dream Land's development.

I'd main Broom Hatter.

I never got the criticism for Return to Dreamland

"oh it plays exactly like Superstar"

Yeah? We haven't had a traditional styled Kirby game in AGES at the time.

Plus people loved superstar due to how developed its copy abilities were. I loved that RTDL and by extension Triple Deluxe had those style of copy abilities.

Baby Luigi said:
I never got the criticism for Return to Dreamland

"oh it plays exactly like Superstar"

Yeah? We haven't had a traditional styled Kirby game in AGES at the time.
And Superstar is an SNES name.

Meanwhile, New Super Mario Bros. Wii has a much higher Metacritic average.

**** Mario platformers.

I don't what but why do I find Return to Dreamland such a forgettable game? I really enjoyed it but I can never remember ANY of the levels except a select few.

Well, just like its NSMB companion it was made primarily of a lot of re-used level ideas. The only thing that was truly new in that regard were the super abilities and the bonus areas where you'd fight the doomers.

Really the most stand out thing about it were its boss fights.

Triple Deluxe by comparison was full of new level gimmicks and ideas due to its use of both the foreground and background, as well as hypernova.

Superstar honestly had the best system out of all the Kirby titles I've played. If they want to make more games based on how that one handled, more power to them.

If there was a Superstar-like ability game with an Amazing Mirror styled gameplay, I might find a new favorite Kirby platformer...

I'd be all for an amazing mirror styled game but good lord they need to get a better map system and ditch the points of no return.

I guess you'd probably agree with me that Carrot Castle is the absolute worst area in the game.

Absofuckinglutely.

There is a reason I only played through that game once, that was one of em.

EDO said:
Superstar honestly had the best system out of all the Kirby titles I've played. If they want to make more games based on how that one handled, more power to them.
I agree. The argument that a Wii platformer plays too similarly to an SNES platformer becomes much more ludicrous. Superstar's system actually worked, but we hadn't had a game like that, bar the remake, in such a long time.

Critics are weird.

Mcmadness said:
Critics are weird.
Yeah, especially the "professional" ones. Sometimes they're spot-on, sometimes they feel dishonest.

Back