New Member, Couple of possible Wiki Updates

Hi everyone, I was recently using the MarioWiki to complete a glitch video on my YouTube channel. I noticed that alot of the glitches in Mario Kart 64 and Double Dash didn't have videos linked to them, which my video covers a couple of as listed here:

Mario Kart 64 Glitches:
  • Frappe Snowland Lap Skip
  • Yoshi Valley Camera Glitch
  • Yoshi Valley Lap Skip!
  • Koopa Troopa Beach Infinite Falling.
  • Wario Stadium Lap Skips.
  • DK's Jungle Parkway Lap Skip

Mario Kart Double Dash Glitches:
  • Parade Kart Through The Road
  • Waluigi Stadium Out Of Bounds Glitch
  • Parade Kart Stuck Upside down
  • Bowsers Castle Skip Half The Course

Not sure if anyone was interested or how this works but it could be cited to show the glitches in action if needed.

Thanks,
Mikey

P.S. Here's the video for anyone interested in the Skips/ Glitches.

No no, I'm just wondering if it would be helpful as a video source for some of the glitches found in the Wiki.

I noticed there were some that were cited so figured I'd ask XD The video is doing well on it's own, it's just whilst I was looking for the glitches it was hard to perform some since the instructions can be a bit confusing!

If required remove this post I don't wanna be seen as a spammer already hahaha

Just disregard that post, your post wasn't in spamming or advertising territory at all. I'm sorry for all that fuss up. The glitches pages aren't the best-written part in the wiki, so it's true that it can be difficult to follow some of the instructions.

Anyway, yeah, it would be appreciated if you can show videos of how to do the glitches because people are generally better visual learners and it would verify the glitch as well.

a video source would be helpful to prove the glitches are real so i would support adding them

non-commentary sources may be professional but adding them would be appreciated anyway

Groose said:
non-commentary sources may be professional but adding them would be appreciated anyway
I think it's generally better WITH commentary, especially if it's used to clarify what's going on.

Ah thanks for that, it's no problem at all :)

Yeahh, I finished the video a couple weeks ago and it certainly verifies a couple of the glitches. I myself am more of a visual learner, which is probably why I found it harder to follow the written instructions haha I have tried to include commentary to help people follow if they'd like to as well.

The video is in the OP up there anyways, though it's more of a compilation video which shows them than separating the glitches into single videos. I'd have no idea how to cite it on the Wiki unfortunately, or if I even had sufficient permissions which is why I asked here first!

Thanks again

you need to be autoconfirmed to edit glitch pages

mainly because of the state of those pages are horrible because of unsourced things added by, like, ips and ----

I remember someone suggesting to make how-to vids for glitches somewhere on proposals. I got no beef with the idea.

When you're autoconfirmed, please follow this format for citing your vidyos.

MikeyTaylorgaming said:
Ah thanks for that, it's no problem at all :)

Yeahh, I finished the video a couple weeks ago and it certainly verifies a couple of the glitches. I myself am more of a visual learner, which is probably why I found it harder to follow the written instructions haha I have tried to include commentary to help people follow if they'd like to as well.

The video is in the OP up there anyways, though it's more of a compilation video which shows them than separating the glitches into single videos. I'd have no idea how to cite it on the Wiki unfortunately, or if I even had sufficient permissions which is why I asked here first!

Thanks again
Yeah, the protection of those pages, is unfortunately, the reason you can't have nice things.

Anyway, to cite a video, edit the article where you'd like to put the citation. Then, embed the link in <ref></ref> tags. Preferably, you should add the title of the video or a short description. Anyway, I think you learn better by example, so, using your video,

Code:
<ref>Jan 14, 2015 [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VtyKMkc_U0 Super Mario Kart, 64 & Double Dash Glitches] (retrieved February 5, 2015)</ref>

The first part is the publish date of the video. The second part is the video link, including the title. Finally, the last part is the retrieval date, which is the current day you're citing the video.

At the bottom of the page, if there's a red text saying "Cite error: <ref> tags exist, but no <references/> tag was found", then add this at the very bottom of the page, before the navigational templates (which are the {{BoxTop}} and {{Glitches}} text, concerning glitch pages) and the categories.

Code:
==References==
<references/>

Mario Party X said:
Just disregard that post, your post wasn't in spamming or advertising territory at all. I'm sorry for all that fuss up.
that was my fault, I misread the post entirely

but yeah, be autoconfirmed and use the tags others are suggesting and you'll be fine

sorry for the rocky introduction by me though, hopefully you'll just forget about it

Not a problem @Nozomi, no grudges held :)

One question, how does one become 'autoconfirmed'?

I understand the ref tags I think so that's no problem, I'd probably have to preview a lot first before I got it right, or is that just to post in citations at the bottom of the 64/DD page with no citation number next to the glitch instruction? :)

And just now do I realize I screwed up when attempting to link to the page explaining what autoconfirmation is.

Autoconfirmed users are defined as users who have had an account on the MarioWiki for at least four days and have made at least five edits. New users gain certain rights upon becoming autoconfirmed.

Some rights gained upon being autoconfirmed at the end of the four day waiting period include:

Moving pages
Creating pages
Editing semi-protected pages
Uploading files from a URL
Uploading new versions of files

Mario Party X said:
Anyway, to cite a video, edit the article where you'd like to put the citation. Then, embed the link in <ref></ref> tags. Preferably, you should add the title of the video or a short description. Anyway, I think you learn better by example, so, using your video,

Code:
<ref>Jan 14, 2015 [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VtyKMkc_U0 Super Mario Kart, 64 & Double Dash Glitches] (retrieved February 5, 2015)</ref>

The first part is the publish date of the video. The second part is the video link, including the title. Finally, the last part is the retrieval date, which is the current day you're citing the video.

At the bottom of the page, if there's a red text saying "Cite error: <ref> tags exist, but no <references/> tag was found", then add this at the very bottom of the page, before the navigational templates (which are the {{BoxTop}} and {{Glitches}} text, concerning glitch pages) and the categories.

Code:
==References==
<references/>
Dates never come first, and that's not the format we're supposed to use (MarioWiki:Citation_Policy#What_to_put_as_references). Something like this would be better:

Code:
<ref>Taylor, M. (January 14, 2015). [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VtyKMkc_U0 Super Mario Kart, 64 & Double Dash Glitches]. ''YouTube'' . Retrieved February 5, 2015.</ref

(But I'm only assuming the name's Mikey Taylor from the YouTube channel name. Alternatively, the channel name itself could be used, or just move the link before the date, which is what's usually done in lieu of citing individuals.)

Back