Inside Out

this is why i tend to avoid most trailers

i personally can't advocate for it too much, but most of the people i've seen are in love with this movie so i would definitely say you should see this as soon as possible

SiFi said:
Valid reason to use AdBlock #37: Movie trailers won't make a movie annoying.

For some reason, AdBlock does not actually block youtube ads for me. It never has. Ever.

then you are using the wrong adblock

also wow if that number is correct ive blocked 252049 ads so far

wonder how much money that'd be

Peridot said:
SiFi said:
Valid reason to use AdBlock #37: Movie trailers won't make a movie annoying.

For some reason, AdBlock does not actually block youtube ads for me. It never has. Ever.
Are you using Adblock Plus? That's what I use and it works fine.

Slightly off-topic, but I've seen videos from a bunch of my favorite YouTubers all complaining that their revenue has been crippled because of ad blockers, which makes me feel guilty. I have AdBlock, and I've started to whitelist some channels.

i just saw this movie
it was a really good movie, i havent seen a good "family movie" (animated?) since a really long time (i dont like minions, frozen, etc.)
the animation was really top notch and it had the right blend of comedy and drama and an interesting story
my fav of the 5 was prob mad
rip to the homie bing bong ;_;7

I just saw this, and it was a fantastic movie. The story was very interesting, I enjoyed the characters and there were funny moments without it being excessive.

and rip bing bong you were the best

Bing Bong's death would be considered the most emotional part for most people;

but for me, it was the islands of personality crashing down. I was terrified when I saw that happen while watching the movie in theaters. (I was 12 years old)

This film was the last decent Pixar film, but I think people gave it too much credit, myself included.

Also, Julia, how do you even keep finding these old threads? Do you just comb through the forum archives when you're bored or something? I'm not mad or anything, I just find it funny.

disregarding cars 2 this was easily my easily my least favorite Pixar film i've seen. guess I expected more from it

I really liked Inside out I thought it was a pretty emotional movie.
Also the last good pixar movie? come the fuck off it there's only been 3 since then and Finding Dory was real good.

Inside Out is still great today, though
the part where Bing Bong faded away didn't hit me so hard because I expected him to die at some point, like most imaginary friends and I didn't see him much promoted

I'd say Inside Out is still the best recent Pixar film to date.

Yeah, Bing Bong's death didn't make me cry, either, but it was still a sad scene. And it leaves me wondering, what if Riley's parents bring him up, and she says she doesn't know who he is?

Mom: Remember your imaginary friend?

Riley: ..what imaginary friend!?

Dad: You don't remember!?

GalacticPetey said:
I'd be very curious to hear as to why you feel that way. I adored this movie.
while I can see why people like it so much and I did find the movie humorous, I still feel like the movie's concept could have been utilized to be much more powerful/emotional than it was. to me, as someone with severe mental illness, Riley's problems felt kind of...trivial

Magikrazy said:
Also, Julia, how do you even keep finding these old threads? Do you just comb through the forum archives when you're bored or something? I'm not mad or anything, I just find it funny.

Shadowshy said:
I still feel like the movie's concept could have been utilized to be much more powerful/emotional than it was. to me, as someone with severe mental illness, Riley's problems felt kind of...trivial
I guess it's a kid's movie so they probably couldn't take advantage off actual serious problems and have to generalize a bit, but this movie helped me on my part recognize and respect emotions, something my dad denied to me.

"it's a kid's movie" is, incidentally, the most common response i get when i point out flaws of inside out to people

People usually say that to dismiss criticisms of the material or downplay the message. The movie, however, does seem a little generalized and call me out of a lack of imagination, but I don't know how they can grasp with things like severe depression without too much shock or if they ever have been around with people like you. The problem with a lot of kids' movies is that they can be a little painfully optimistic. Cars 3 for instance... it had a very real theme and the idea that people eventually reach a peak and fade is adult as hell but the ending left me a little unsatisfied. It bothered me that

the yellow car was simply able to enter the race and win just like that against all odds (even the "arrogant" predictions were wrong and you just know they'll be wrong and no expectations were subverted) simply because she believed in herself. It would be far more realistic if she lost but people saw the potential in her and made her motivated to get better and enter a career

So Inside Out may be the same way of how there is a "everything is fine and will get better" vibe I see a lot from kids' films or "people are good guys and they'll notice their problems and reform immediately or bad guys will always get things they deserve". Traumatizing kids is one result from too much negativity but on the other hand, you don't want to be too optimistic and devalue real problems, which may be a criticism of Inside Out.

One problem I had with the movie was that Riley's emotions didn't feel like an extension of Riley's mind. They felt like five coworkers controlling a giant robot like she was some kind of Voltron. As such, I wasn't seeing Riley making decisions for herself, but rather her actions being controlled by others, especially in scenes where she just dramatically changes mood such as when she goes up to a rail super excited to slide down it, suddenly gets too sad to do it, and then changes her mind halfway down the steps.

im not asking for a super deep look at depression but if you're going to make a movie about tough emotions then you shouldn't half ass it and write it off as "it's a kids movie so it's ok not to be perfect"

Yeah I kinda wanted the movie to be more about Riley too rather than being a collection of traits and memories she has. There are times where emotions can take control of you and often emotional is separate from rational.

I also find it strange how Joy can experience anything and I'm not sure if I like how the movie wants you to feel like there is some urgency that Joy is trapped in a pit but you certainly don't feel the urgency because you just know people have mood swings and experience one emotion to the next. And Joy can... cry too...? That's weird and I smell inception.

I’ll give them one thing, how they represented everything to make them fit into the movie (also only now do I notice long-term memory looks like the maze of the brain.) that was cool. I liked that. On the other hand, for some unknown reason, I don’t really enjoy the movie that much, or at least not anymore, because I remember back when I first watched it it was great.

I guess that reason may be because how negative the movie can be. Just when there seems to be a solution to the problem, some “unexpected” plot twist turns everything upside down. Also Riley kinda looked immature to me at some point, when she was like “Imma live in a gingerbread house” or “in a house that comes with a dragon. For what I’ve experienced, 11 year old kids don’t really believe they’re gonna live in such things.

Aside from that, the movie is pretty good from an objective approach, so I guess my opinion doesn’t matter much.

Back