Majora's Mask 3D

Genji said:
Well, I managed to get the quivers and heart pieces from both shooting galleries, a feat which I never accomplished on the N64 (could never do the swamp one). This gyroscope aiming thing is really useful, at least as long as you don't have to do any wide turns.
The gyroscope things is actually pretty cool. Don't do it public though. I learned that the hard way lol.

Ok, wow, they nerfed the Zora transformation to hell and back. You can't zip through the water anymore because they about halved your speed, you can't dolphin jump anymore without doing the electric barrier move (because that's the only way to speed up enough), and you can't do the backflip drop kick move that replaces your jump attack anymore while your fins are launched.

The swimming mechanics were one of the best features of the original game. This absolutely did not need any fixing whatsoever.

EDIT:

Ok, apparently you CAN do the drop kick thing, but only... sometimes? Not underwater?

EDIT2:

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYQHAAABAACNUKE94EU5BA

Finished the game. They sure changed a lot of things. Some changes were pretty good (improved song of double time, speeding up the goron's melee attacks, the addition of fishing holes, shortening already watched cutscenes, gyroscopic aiming). Some others were negligible. Some changes were outright stupid and unnecessary. Zora Link and the Goht fight were the biggest offenders for me (that fight is fun because you are constantly in motion, and forcing you to stop to smack some eyeball around is just a dumb design choice). I also cannot wrap my head around why they would make the zora dungeon on the moon more annoying while not doing anything to fix the goron dungeon. The graphical overhaul on the other hand is very well done and feels authentic. Overall the remake leaves a mixed impression.

Personally I wish they'd have confined their changes to mechanical tweaks and fixes of annoying parts (moon goron dungeon, having to rebuild the block bridge on Stone Tower top every time the dungeon gets flipped back to normal) and then remained faithful to the rest of the original game. Closer to what OoT 3DS did.

Some assorted Miiverse posts:
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYQHAAABAACNUKE9m0ImVQ
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYQHAAABAACNUKE9m9Asfw
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYQHAAABAACNUKE9xNMWCg
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYQHAAABAACNUKE936d0pg
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYQHAAABAAAEVHhjInABqA

I've got a question for those of you who have played both the original and the 3DS remake.

I've never played Majora's Mask, though I have played multiple other Zelda games. I own both a Nintendo 64 and a 3DS. Which version of the game would you recommend I buy? What are the pros and cons of each version? Does the remake alter the experience in any way?

So I played the game...from Sunday afternoon to Tuesday night. I literally 100% the game within 72 hours. I feel like that is some sort of major accomplishment (I think it took 62 real life hours to beat the game (22 hours played in game)).

A few comments I want to say...

Overall I felt that it was a much more enjoyable experience than playing it on the N64. I personally grew up playing Majora's Mask; it was the only Zelda game I had until Wind Waker, as we had sold our OoT copy (which I missed dearly as a child), so Majora's Mask was all I had to play Zelda-wise. I would spend a long time just trying to figure things out and it was the game that I really got down to earth with, and it was only until I picked it back up around the time I hit middle school did I realize how much I loved the game.

Anyways, what I am getting at with this is that as a child I had trouble keeping track of everything, and we even had a guidebook. The game made it very smooth with making sure you didn't forget what you were doing, or that it made it easier for what you have already completed, and what areas you have already cleared. Nothing was more bothersome as a child as when you did circles over the same area a few times, and you already got the item, or the heart piece, or whatever it was that I did. The game made it possible so that you can actually multi-task and not waste time, all without getting rid of the challenge that was set in place. There was only a few things I had to look up in order to complete, such as getting the 7th bottle (which was actually a cool addition because it made use of the Gorman Mask, which was useless other than at the end for the Fierce Deity Mask in the original).

Everything just felt a lot smoother, and it didn't feel like I wanted to ragequit a lot of the sections. It still had it challenges like in the original, but at least the challenges were something dealing with the gameplay and riddle of the game rather than based on how well you are able to pay attention and remember what the hell you were doing just 20 minutes ago. I did find myself able to multi-task the hell out of the game, and actually going to like the last minute of a 3-day cycle before going back in time. I think Pikmin 3 made me that way.

I just want to say that the Song of Double Time's change in this game was probably the greatest thing to happen to this game. I actually could stomach the Anju Kafei quest without having to spend half the time waiting for time to slowly move. I only had to ragequit the game at one point, which was on this quest, and that was because I accidentally failed to get the Sun Mask because I pushed the block the wrong way. Thankfully you can save your game without going back in time, which didn't bother me, and in fact I enjoyed that change as well, though I rarely ever used it.

The boss changes were moreso good than they were bad. Odolwa was for the most part the same, but actually incorporating Deku Link into the battle, which I thought was nice. Goht was the one that I do think shouldn't have been changed, and was a pain to deal with having to stop, take off the mask, shoot fire arrows, and then put back on the mask, which affected the flow that the original battle had. Gyorg was definitely a lot easier than in the original, but I'm fine with it since I don't have to worry about getting eaten after attacking him. And the way they incorporated Zora Link was a lot better than in the original. Twinmold definitely was a battle that I completely loved, and man was that one of the best boss battles in any Zelda game ever. They made Twinmold actually a menace, and made you get to wrestle the red one after you destroy the Blue one, and it was just tons of fun. I can't say much for the Majora battle, since I used Fierce Deity, but I'll have my opinions when I face him without the cheat mask.

The Zora swimming downgrade was a bit tedious, but I liked that you didn't have to jump out of the water onto platforms like you had to do in some of the temples. However, let me just talk about the Gyorg Moon challenge. That piece of shit was just the worse. It wasn't even the fact that it was timed, or that I would miss the jump; it was the fact that missing the jump and not being able to swim back made you have to restart the entire thing, and it was just like "good on the first section, good on the second section and-damn it, missed the jump in the final area!" It really sucked because I wanted the Piece of Heart, and I ended up in the end before I meant to, so I had to exit the entire thing and re-enter the game, which was just salt in the wound. I mean, I understand that it wasn't that challenging in the beginning, but they literally had to take my hatred of the Zora jumping and raise it up 5 knots.

So, with all that said, I think that most of the areas benefited greatly from the changes, and made the original seem so outdated. There are some areas that didn't really need a change, or that areas that did need some change but didn't get, but they were minor and not that close together. I think that it definitely was an amazing game, and I did tear up when I got Anju and Kafei reunited, as well as when the Skull Kid realized that the Four Giants still thought of him as their friend. This game was definitely fun, and obviously from the fact that I 100%'d it in 3 days, I could not really even put it down.

So far, this game isn't as amazing as Ocarina of Time (come at me, "omg oot so overrated" morons) but I still enjoy it.

Condescending Wonka said:
(come at me, "omg oot so overrated" morons)

it's a great game

but yeah it is pretty overrated imo (not that much as some others would argue though)

President Madagascar said:
(come at me, "omg oot so overrated" morons)

it's a great game

but yeah it is pretty overrated imo (not that much as some others would argue though)
I suppose, but what I meant is that some people hate the game solely because it is overrated.

So far, this game isn't as amazing as Ocarina of Time (come at me, "omg oot so overrated" morons) but I still enjoy it.

Ocarina of Time is ranked third in my list of favorite Zelda games, and I do not share the opinion that it is overrated (just that it has not aged particularly well). It was an important milestone game and it deserves recognition for what it accomplished.

But if you feel the need to get insulting just because some folks don't like the game, you can go screw yourself, buddy.

EDO said:

Ocarina of Time is ranked third in my list of favorite Zelda games, and I do not share the opinion that it is overrated (just that it has not aged particularly well). It was an important milestone game and it deserves recognition for what it accomplished.

But if you feel the need to get insulting just because some folks don't like the game, you can go screw yourself, buddy.
I'll admit the ORIGINAL didn't age well, but there's no excuse to hate it with its 3D remake. By the way, I've learned that it's physically impossible for people to accept others' opinions. Anyone who claims they do is a hypocrite.

By the way, I've learned that it's physically impossible for people to accept others' opinions. Anyone who claims they do is a hypocrite.
brb going to laugh

That's really the most appropriate course of action right now.

but there's no excuse to hate it with its 3D remake.

I've heard people hate that because it's like the 4th rerelease of the game and some argue it's just another cash grab by nintendo
which might be partially true, oot 3d still is the better game.

And seeing as they're third in game console sales and whatnot, let's support them so that they don't suffer the same fate as Sega.

I don't care about the cashgrabs, without them, Mario would become a forgotten hero.

Dinomic Duo said:
And seeing as they're third in game console sales and whatnot, let's support them so that they don't suffer the same fate as Sega.

Which is sad because they were on the right track with the dreamcast.

That was the time when they were actually better than Nintendo, however it didn't help them much.

Lumastar said:
Dinomic Duo said:
I don't care about the cashgrabs, without them, Mario would become a forgotten hero.
What? You state you don't care for cash grabs, but you then state that they have kept Mario alive. Did you mean to add a but after the first comma?
Yes I did.

President Madagascar said:
Dinomic Duo said:

Which is sad because they were on the right track with the dreamcast.

That was the time when they were actually better than Nintendo, however it didn't help them much.
2old4me

Please take off-topic discussion elsewhere.

I won't be getting this game until maybe next month or so, but I have three questions:

1. I was one of the people who didn't like the Great Bay Temple (and Zora Link for that matter). How awful is the Great Bay Temple now with Zora Link's shitty change?

2. For those who 100%d, is the Swamp Shooting game still impossible or does the gyroscope actually alleviate it?

3. Is the Goron Moon dungeon still complete garbage as in they didn't bother to touch it at all? I could never 100% the game because of the Swamp shooting and Goron moon dungeon.

Gamefreak75 said:
Please take off-topic discussion elsewhere.

I won't be getting this game until maybe next month or so, but I have three questions:

1. I was one of the people who didn't like the Great Bay Temple (and Zora Link for that matter). How awful is the Great Bay Temple now with Zora Link's shitty change?

2. For those who 100%d, is the Swamp Shooting game still impossible or does the gyroscope actually alleviate it?

3. Is the Goron Moon dungeon still complete garbage as in they didn't bother to touch it at all? I could never 100% the game because of the Swamp shooting and Goron moon dungeon.

1. It doesn't change that much. It just takes slightly longer to get to places, unless you use the electric barrier while swimming, which lets you go at original speed and perform dolphin jumps like you used to be able to do. They did improve one thing about the temple though: You can now create ice platforms by shooting sparkly water with ice arrows. It will no longer be super precise or just flat-out not work anymore like in the N64 version.

2. The gyroscope aiming not only makes the swamp shooting gallery manageable, but actually fun.

3. The dungeon is still complete garbage. Additionally, the Zora dungeon is now more annoying, requiring you to be able to dolphin jump and usually you'll have to restart the whole thing if you miss a jump. You can sort of use whirlpool thingies as markers, but that's it.

The path to the heart piece in the dungeon is left right middle. That is if they don't randomize this shit, if they do all bets are off. If you want to get to the exit with the kid, just always take the path that has fish swimming in front of them.

Back