The Official Music Thread

Seriously. They were pretty versatile. I mean, they had really hardcore songs like "Everything Zen", poppy tunes like "Comedown", and great power ballads like "Glycerine". And those are just their big hits. They're non-single songs were great too.

I completely agree. I really have to get one of their albums one day.

On another note; The Highwaymen are awesome.

Anything to do with Johnny Cash is awesome, dude.

Of course. He IS the man in black, after all.

I wish I could say more about bands or music in general, but honestly, when I do listen to music, it's usually Lincoln Brewster or Michal W. Smith. I also listen to Boston... not as often...

We can help you branch out further than that. We know a LOT of good bands and musicians that are waiting to gain another fan.

Well, I also just don't listen to music a lot in general. It doesn't seem to be the best way to spend my time, but I listen to it when I need to rest, I'm going somewhere, ect.

No way, man; Music is a great way to spend your time! Your ears demand good tunes and beats!

You can always listen to music while you're doing homework, are trying to fall asleep, or are playing a video game that you don't need sound for. That's what I do. :)

Same, but I can also enjoy music while doing nothing at all. That's what being a true audiophile is all about!

Ziggy Stardust said:
Same, but I can also enjoy music while doing nothing at all. That's what being a true audiophile is all about!
Oh, same here. Sometimes I just sit back in a chair and listen to my mp3 player for a while. :P

I do that, like, all the time. Except replace 'mp3 player' with 'computer' or 'radio'.

On another note; Post-rock is such an awesome genre. Sigur Ros are fucking great.

Blue Monday said:
I do that, like, all the time. Except replace 'mp3 player' with 'computer' or 'radio'.

On another note; Post-rock is such an awesome genre. Sigur Ros are fucking great.
Post-rock is pure brilliance. Sigur Rós, Mogwai, This Will Destroy You, Godspeed You! Black Emperor... I could go on. It's amazing.

Oh, check out post-metal bands like Isis too. They're interesting.

I like Isis, but I forgot that they were post-metal.

And yeah, Sigur Ros is amazing. Haven't listened to them in a while, though.

Bloc Partier said:
Wait a minute, you just said post-metal is interesting? Never thought I'd see you say that about a metal genre.

I don't really like sludge metal, which post-metal takes heavy influence from, so I got my brother to listen to post-metal for me; I just cannot understand how abrasive snarling punk metal can be fused with the lush, ambience of post-rock. He said it was pretty good, but I have yet to listen to any of it.

Blue Monday said:
Bloc Partier said:
Wait a minute, you just said post-metal is interesting? Never thought I'd see you say that about a metal genre.

I don't really like sludge metal, which post-metal takes heavy influence from, so I got my brother to listen to post-metal for me; I just cannot understand how abrasive snarling punk metal can be fused with the lush, ambience of post-rock. He said it was pretty good, but I have yet to listen to any of it.
It's rather surprising, but yeah it can happen.

And sludge metal would be really interesting without that stupid metal growling voice... Like Sunn O))) is really cool until the guy starts talking.

Bloc Partier said:
And sludge metal would be really interesting without that stupid metal growling voice... Like Sunn O))) is really cool until the guy starts talking.
It's called a death growl, and yeah, it's pretty annoying. I mean, in moderation it's pretty good, like with System of a Down and Bullet for My Valentine, but when it's the dominant or ONLY style of singing they use, it's absolute shit. Even my brother - a death metal fan - says the death growl gets annoying after a while.

Blue Monday said:
Bloc Partier said:
It's called a death growl, and yeah, it's pretty annoying. I mean, in moderation it's pretty good, like with System of a Down and Bullet for My Valentine, but when it's the dominant or ONLY style of singing they use, it's absolute shit. Even my brother - a death metal fan - says the death growl gets annoying after a while.
Eh. I was close. And yeah... It alienates me every time. I just am like, 'STOP!" and just turn it off. Oh well.

But you do that with most metal. Heh.

On another note, I bought Nirvana's MTV Unplugged in New York today. God I love this album. I really should get the DVD one day.

I've been listening to Radiohead's experimental stuff, and it's fucking awesome.

I'm also listening to more SOAD.

JUSTIFIED CANDY!
BRANDY FOR THE NERVES!
ELOQUENCE BELONGS TO THE CONQUEROR!

Ha. True point.

And REALLY???? RADIOHEAD'S GOOD?????????? Maybe that's why I have almost everything they've ever recorded on my iPod...

I have a hard time picking "Karma Police", or "Creep" as my favorite song of theirs.

"Creep" is really good, but it's annoying that it drew all the attention away from the other songs on Pablo Honey. It was a pretty good album.

Back