The Official Music Thread

Of all those songs, "Paranoid Android" was the most well-written and well-structured.

On another note, I found a list of 50 greatest albums that was made by Kurt Cobain himself way back when, and Public Enemy - a hip hop band - were on the list. That took me by surprise, but then Public Enemy WERE one of the better hip hop bands out there, losing only to Massive Attack and Beastie Boys, in my opinion.

Ziggy Stardust said:
That's good to know; Shoegaze is fucking awesome. I'll play it for two reasons; 1) It's simply amazing and we need more shoegaze acts,
Shoegaze is awesome. But there are quite a few totally unknown shoegaze artists out there... Check out the song "Saviours of Jazz Ballet" by Mew and the band Gliss. I could find so very many more on my iTunes if you're interested...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mG2kFp8W7C4

^One of Nirvana's greatest but underrated songs.

Anyway, yeah, shoegaze is great.

Bloc Partier said:
Shoegaze is awesome. But there are quite a few totally unknown shoegaze artists out there... Check out the song "Saviours of Jazz Ballet" by Mew and the band Gliss. I could find so very many more on my iTunes if you're interested...
Yeah, Mew are pretty cool, but not 'obscure' or 'unknown'; They're more popular than most of the biggest shoegaze acts, like My Bloody Valentine and Ride. But I haven't heard Gliss before.

Ziggy Stardust said:
Bloc Partier said:
Yeah, Mew are pretty cool, but not 'obscure' or 'unknown'; They're more popular than most of the biggest shoegaze acts, like My Bloody Valentine and Ride. But I haven't heard Gliss before.
Hmmm... Mew's pretty obscure in the States, actually. Even those with unusual taste in music don't know them at all... Oh well. Gliss is fun.

Bloc Partier said:
Hmmm... Mew's pretty obscure in the States, actually. Even those with unusual taste in music don't know them at all... Oh well. Gliss is fun.
Meh, popularity means nothing, anyway. I mean, Britney Spears is unbelievably popular, but does that make her music even the slightest bit good? Hell no; She's still one of the single worst musicians in pop history.

Ziggy Stardust said:
Bloc Partier said:
Meh, popularity means nothing, anyway. I mean, Britney Spears is unbelievably popular, but does that make her music even the slightest bit good? Hell no; She's still one of the single worst musicians in pop history.
Mad popularity is usually a huge downer for any band in my opinion. Like, I hate almost all super-popular artists out there, with a few exceptions. Obscurity in my mind is wonderful. :P

...It doesn't matter if the artist is popular or not. I don't care if a band is popular or obscure, so long as they shit out good music... But, that being said, decent mainstream music is hard to come by these days. You still got great mainstream alt-rock, indie rock, post-punk and new-prog bands, but the best stuff nowadays is underground.

What kind of music do you guys like? I like classical, jazz, and a bit of rock.

9-Volt said:
Grunge, progressive rock, and pretty much any other genre as long as the songs are good.

9-Volt said:
Listen to more rock. It saves lives.

I mainly listen to alternative rock, indie rock and their many sub-genres. I'm a pretty big fan of blues as well.

Bloc Partier said:
And DP: Agreed
On what, music being good regardless of popularity, or contemporary rock not being as good as classic rock?

Bloc Partier said:
Ziggy Stardust said:
That's good to know; Shoegaze is fucking awesome. I'll play it for two reasons; 1) It's simply amazing and we need more shoegaze acts,
Mew and Gliss are epic. Jackelope is another pretty good obscure band. I mean, c'mon; they use a freakin' electric mandolin.

Ziggy Stardust said:
So do R.E.M., yo.
Yeah, and that's just one reason as to why they're so good. The thing is, it seems so rare these days to see bands that use something other than the typical instruments. (Guitar, Drums, Bass, Piano.)

Well, you've got Beck. He fucks up the norms of pop music with foreign instruments and aesthetics, and he plays the majority of the instruments himself.

Yeah, he's one of the few really innovative artists around still.

Anyone still listen to Boston? Man, I was addicted to "More than a feeling" for the longest time...

Kracken said:
Anyone still listen to Boston? Man, I was addicted to "More than a feeling" for the longest time...

I closed my eyes and I slipped away... DA NA NANANANA... BOW DANANANANA NANANA NA NA NAAAANANANA... IT'S MORE THAN A FEELING!

Great song.

Their song "Peace of Mind" is better, though.

Kracken said:
Boston ftw. I made sure that was one of the first songs I learned on the guitar. :P

Stooben Rooben said:
Yeah, he's one of the few really innovative artists around still.
That is popular, at least. A lot of underground artists are helping push rock music into new realms, but no one likes them cuz they're not Britney Spears. Fucking idiots.

Oh, also The White Stripes. While not as innovative as Beck, they have offered new ideas for rock music, moreso than most other mainstream artist of today.

I'm starting to think that Bush was one of the greatest bands of the 90s.

Bush were great. Even their power ballads were kickass; Never did I think anyone besides Nirvana could pull off cellos and violins in grunge music. They don't get nearly enough attention these days.

Back