Adding textures to a model?

Did the obj files work? Sorry if I sound impatient, I'm just bored so I decided to ask.

Freaking college sucks all the energy out of me, please be patient

Yaaayyy they work fine. I think they're missing textures or something but that's easily fixable.

Gonna start working on them today.

btw, any particular reason the Vacuum Helmet isn't in the pack? I'd like to make a ragdoll of that too.

Well...Fawful is done

24FAE1F835E437D3AD03F8C15DE4A8D5A0122D52

I'm already kinda exhausted from porting him. He wasn't exactly difficult to port (he was fairly simple to rig), but it was quite tedious converting all of his textures to not only .vtfe's and .vmt's, but also making bumpmaps/masks and converting THEM to .vtfe's as well.

I've tested him in the game, he seems to be working as planned...except for his flexes. I've gave him face-posing attributes to his glasses so he can make eye expressions but it also distorts his face VERY slightly too...an unintended effect I don't know what causes.

Awesome! I removed the Vacuum helmet because it was all rigged to act like Ness's baseball bat, which looked weird. I can send you another one with the helmet later if you want.

Oh that doesn't matter if it was rigged to act like Ness's bat. As I said, obj loses the bones and skin, I can simply just create new bones for a more appropriate animations. All I need is the helmet model itself, that would be splendid. I can make it as a separate prop and you can manually place it on Fawful's/other character's heads or something.

Here you go

http://www.mediafire.com/download/h24alf27a8rb4i1/Fawful_and_stuff.zip

I think you can add the folder to the add-ons folder in this

D:\Steam\SteamApps\common\GarrysMod\garrysmod\addons

Then, to find it in Garry's Mod, press Q, scroll down the spawn menu on the left side, look until you find "Browse", then open up "Games"->Either "All or "Garry's Mod", then find the folder called "Mario RPGs". The model should be in there.

If it doesn't show up, you need to manually place the "models" folder in a directory in which I will show up if the models don't show up properly or if the textures are purple-black checkered or something.

Keep in mind I named it like this because i'm planning on working on Antasma next.

I'm assuming you know how to face-pose and how to change bodygroups so Fawful can open his mouth?

Actually no, I have no idea how to face pose, heck I can barely get characters into decent regular poses. I have an add on that can make them stand up, but then I have to move their arms around and its kinda tricky considering I'm moving around like in an FPS.

Try using a noclip cheat, that helps a ton to get you to places you couldn't reach if your collisions were activated. You should go in the command console (whenever you press ` it should show up), type in "sv_cheats 1" and "god" so you don't accidentally die making poses, and if the controls are default, pressing "v" should let you noclip.

When posing, press and hold the "use" key to rotate stuff (by default that should be your E key) while your physgun is active on a part.

Face posing is very simple compared to posing their body, legs, head, arms, etc. All you have to do is hold Q, go to the right, find the "Face-Pose" tool under "Posing", click it, shoot it on Fawful, then press C or Q to adjust the slider to change his facial expression.

Bodygroups are simple to. You can either download the "Easy Bodygroup Tool" off the workshop or hold C and right click Fawful and change his skin.

OK, so the folder "Mario RPGs" isn't there, I searched both directories (All and Garry's Mod)

Where should I put the files?

mkay

here's where you place the "models" and "materials" folder from the "Fawful and stuff" folder" (cut it out of the folder btw) into your game

D:\Steam\SteamApps\common\GarrysMod\garrysmod\models\MarioRPG\Fawful

D:\Steam\SteamApps\common\GarrysMod\garrysmod\materials\models\MarioRPG\Fawful

it is pivotal you place the "materials" folder in the correct spot, btw, or else....PURPLE AND BLACK CHECKERBOARDS!!! not good if you have them, that means textures are missing. The VMT (valve material) files in there tell the game where to look for the textures, that's why you need to make sure they're in the right spot.

if those folders already exist, the computer will prompt you to merge its content. you should say "yes"

Purple and black checkerboards? Yaaaaaayyyy.

Are you sure that your textures directory isn't exactly like this?:

D:\Steam\SteamApps\common\GarrysMod\garrysmod\materials\models\MarioRPG\Fawful

The directory has to be exactly like this.

Can I inspect a screenshot of your directory to see if everything's in the right spot?

Hmmm....is that a materials folder in the Fawful folder? The Fawful folder should be the one that contains the .vmt's and .vtfes (oh the .pngs don't matter, I was too lazy to remove them)

Gee I could use a McDonald's myself :P

Where are the model files, for starters?

These files

Fawful.dx80.vtx
Fawful.dx90.vtx
fawful.mdl
Fawful.phy
Fawful.sw.vtx
fawful.vvd

Are those in this directory?

D:\Steam\SteamApps\common\GarrysMod\garrysmod\models\MarioRPG\Fawful

Yes that looks right

The flashing "ERROR" icon means the model isn't there. Maybe try reloading if the problem persists? I hope you're not tinkering with anything while the game is still running, that could cause problems. Because I don't see anything wrong with your directory. And it's totally weird to simply move your textures around and cause an "Error" sign to pop up.

Untitled_zpscaa46887.png~original

Untitled_zps5f7299ef.png~original

Excuse the microscopic zoom, but this is what my files look like on the other computer I downloaded my .zip file to. I've even tested it, works fine.

8278AF32EF1EA8978A305DAD5B2E6FB334BDAC70

And I swear they aren't corrupted or anything

If they spawn in the game fine, but with purple-black checkerboard textures, that means they should work perfectly...just a skinning problem and aesthetic problem that's all

Back