Hacking Brawl with a Wii U

Stargazing

Retired.
Pronouns
They/them
Yes, it is time for me to hack my long outdated Brawl on my precious Wii U. There are no custom stages on it, as I only used it once to play a couple of rounds with my sister. All my custom stages are on the Wii if needed.

I have three questions.
1. Do I need to follow any special steps, since I'm using a Wii U?
2. How low is the bricking rate for the method I need to use?
3. I'm using this right here. Unfortunately, I need to recolour the model, with nothing but Photoshop Express and Superimpose for iApple products, which need me to be very very accurate. I also have no experience with making model recolours what-so-ever. May someone help me out on this here?

1. I don't know. I know it's entirely possible to hack the Wii mode in the Wii U, but I haven't done it myself. I googled this and this is a good tutorial

http://nintendo.about.com/od/wiihomebrew/ss/How-To-Install-The-Homebrew-Channel-Into-The-Wii-Us-Wii-Mode.htm

2. It's almost nonexistent (I used Smash Stack, and I recommend it). I haven't heard of a single case where a Wii got bricked because someone installed a hack, save cases where the menu version was incompatible with the methods used and such. But Smash Stack is recommended because it's mighty hard for Nintendo to patch via update.

3. You have to get BrawlBox to obtain the textures from a model. How to obtain the textures is simple: just open the model up in Brawl Box, right click on the textures in BrawlBox, and export it anywhere in any image format. Once you manage to recolor, I'll tell you what steps you need to do to import the textures (which is just as easy as exporting it). Once you're done importing it, you can view the model viewer to see what it looks like. Photoshop Express sounds adequate enough to recolor stuff: recoloring textures is perhaps the easiest method of making your own hacks.

Okay. When time comes around, I'll be sure to say if there were any problems.

Ok then.

I opened the files, and I have a question.

There are two files for each colour, .pac and .pcs
Which one do I use? Both of them?

EDIT: Also, uh, they won't open in Photoshop Express. They either go to Dropbox, where it will send me somewhere else because it won't open the file, or WinZip, where it will send me again somewhere else, or Sprite Something, where it won't even show me the files. At all.

Those files are not image files.

.pac and .pcs are files containing your model and nearly every aspect about it. You need BrawlBox to open them (download the latest version here

The main difference between .pcs and .pac is that one is compressed (.pcs) while the other isn't. The .pcs is generally used for all-purpose hacking (in vs mode, training mode) while the .pac file is often used for single player modes (such as classic mode) or if your character is a transforming character (Bowser, Zelda/Shiek, Pokemon Trainer, Wario) so that they don't revert to their normal selves when done or changing transformations. Other than that, there is no difference. I recommend you use both, though some .zip may contain only .pcs, which should work too as long as you stick with VS mode and the like.

You don't have to manually replace both. When you're done replacing textures for one, save it as .pair file, which will generate both a .pac and a properly compressed .pcs file at the same time.

I've actually decided I'm skipping the recolour. Due to my lack of experience with recolouring models, I've decided to go straight into the texture hack.

Is it OK if I use my 3DS SD card?

yes your 3ds 3d card will work perfectly

Ok, then I'm all set! Mainly because I'm cheap :P

I'll wait until no one's around to start. My parents will be like "what are you doing" and "what don't hack your game it could do this blah blah blah"

Stargazing said:

I'll wait until no one's around to start. My parents will be like "what are you doing" and "what don't hack your game it could do this blah blah blah"
Just say you're downloading a major patch. ;P

Dr. Mario said:
Stargazing said:

I'll tell them I'm fixing my Wii game

if they weren't watching a boring old movie

Rosalina and Luma said:
Dr. Mario said:
Stargazing said:

Do they trust you to "fix" your Wii game?

Dr. Mario said:
Rosalina and Luma said:
Dr. Mario said:
Stargazing said:

Do they trust you to "fix" your Wii game?
They don't know anything about Wii games, so I'll just say this is what Nintendo told me to do.

They'll eventually leave me alone

Back