Why was the Mario movie a flop?

Do you guys remember The Super Mario Bros Movie that was in theaters 21 years ago back in 1993 which stared Bob Hopkins as Mario, John Leguizamo, as Luigi, and Dennis Hopper as Bowser? I don't know why is was such a big flop, it's no wonder why Mario hasn't had a new movie of any kind since, and it's probably why there hasn't been a new Mario cartoon on television in 23 years in my opinion. I really wish the Nintendo executives would have a heart and give the Mario franchise some major widespread exposure outside the games. I really enjoyed the Mario movie for it's humor and for it's style of action. So do any of you know why it was such a big flop?

5055032357_69d1d1be72.jpg

Sega made a deal with Satan to make the Mario movie a flop in exchange for a handful of horrible Sonic games and to pull out of the console wars by 2000.

because it was terrible and no one liked it

though that doesn't fully explain why it flopped, considering michael bay has been getting away with it for years...

michael bay's movies at least have decent action. sure, there's a stupid amount of it, and the characters are dumb or silly or both, but the action scenes are fairly entertaining.

the smb movie didn't have any of that.

Rifftrax said:
The world, characters, music, even the sound effects of the Mario video games are among the most iconic entertainment creations of the 20th century. So naturally if you made a Mario movie, you’d want to abandon everything that people liked and recognized about them, and then just in case people were still willing to give it the benefit of the doubt, throw in The Happening star John Leguizamo.

Let’s say you went to the cinema hoping to see your favorite character from Mario 3, the red carnivorous fish Big Bertha. Ignoring the fact that you are a moron for your favorite character not being the King of Ice World when he’s been transformed into a seal, you might be disappointed to to learn that in the movie, Big Bertha is instead a large, violent woman with prodigious cleavage who wears S & M-esque garb. (Or maybe you’re into that. In that case, you’re probably not welcome in many of the theaters that were showing Super Mario Bros.)

So Big Bertha isn’t a fish, the goombas aren’t tiny, stompable, sentient mushrooms, and there’s nary a Tanooki suit to be found. No big deal, as long as the Mario Brothers are still brothers, right? What’s that? For no apparent reason Luigi is the adopted ward of Mario? Well, maybe it could still work as long as the movie isn’t an incoherent, hideous mess full of shouting and chaos and cheap sets and… Why are you shaking your head sadly?

Strap on your Kuribo’s shoes and join Mike, Kevin, and Bill up on Jugem’s Cloud for riffing on the best live action Mario property that doesn’t contain Captain Lou Albano.

Magikrazy said:
Sega made a deal with Satan to make the Mario movie a flop in exchange for a handful of horrible Sonic games and to pull out of the console wars by 2000.
fun is infinite

Baby Man said:
Rifftrax said:
The world, characters, music, even the sound effects of the Mario video games are among the most iconic entertainment creations of the 20th century. So naturally if you made a Mario movie, you’d want to abandon everything that people liked and recognized about them, and then just in case people were still willing to give it the benefit of the doubt, throw in The Happening star John Leguizamo.

Let’s say you went to the cinema hoping to see your favorite character from Mario 3, the red carnivorous fish Big Bertha. Ignoring the fact that you are a moron for your favorite character not being the King of Ice World when he’s been transformed into a seal, you might be disappointed to to learn that in the movie, Big Bertha is instead a large, violent woman with prodigious cleavage who wears S & M-esque garb. (Or maybe you’re into that. In that case, you’re probably not welcome in many of the theaters that were showing Super Mario Bros.)

So Big Bertha isn’t a fish, the goombas aren’t tiny, stompable, sentient mushrooms, and there’s nary a Tanooki suit to be found. No big deal, as long as the Mario Brothers are still brothers, right? What’s that? For no apparent reason Luigi is the adopted ward of Mario? Well, maybe it could still work as long as the movie isn’t an incoherent, hideous mess full of shouting and chaos and cheap sets and… Why are you shaking your head sadly?

Strap on your Kuribo’s shoes and join Mike, Kevin, and Bill up on Jugem’s Cloud for riffing on the best live action Mario property that doesn’t contain Captain Lou Albano.

10/10 I cry everytime

Because people thought that the plot was un-Mario like and the characters seemed too different. I liked the brown Yoshi, even if he looked it came from a Jurassic park movie.

The Bowser race track in Mario Kart 7 may either be a coincidence or a reference to the movie.

yoshiking14x said:
The Bowser race track in Mario Kart 7 may either be a coincidence or a reference to the movie.

Oh yeah I TOTALLY think of the Super Mario Bros. movie when I race on Neon Bowser City.

seriously are you high to make that connection?

the people of 1993 just weren't ready for a groundbreaking movie such as super mario brothers

the people of 2014 aren't ready either

No big deal, as long as the Mario Brothers are still brothers, right? What’s that? For no apparent reason Luigi is the adopted ward of Mario?
I'm always surprised how many people get this completely wrong. They're brothers, but their parents died, so Mario raised his little bro. It's not rocket science.

Also, Big Bertha was way cooler as a violent, voluptuous bouncer than a fish - anyone who disagrees is a fool. A fooooool.

When the movie says that "you raised him" that implies they aren't brothers. Or they ARE but the age gap is freaking huge and ridiculous. That part just ----s on Mario anyway.

Also I disagree. I prefer Big Bertha as a carnivorous fish than some big women with....cleavage

Back