TTYD: Too many villains!

Godzillasaurus said:
Welll... I don't really know what else to say other than you probably shouldn't be playing RPGs or story-driven games if the complexity of TTYD's plot overwhelms you.

Meanwhile, everyone else who liked TTYD's tame, non-confusing, interconnected character variety can continue to enjoy the game exactly as it is.
I still love it though! I love the game, and the plot! But there is a certain limit that having so many antagonists can go before becoming unnecessary. I don't see why you have to believe that simply making an observation means that you dislike something. That is like if I were to say that my iPhone has a slight gold tint to it; that doesn't mean I hate it.

Funny. You complain about me accusing you of disliking the game when you never said such a thing, while you accuse me of saying you dislike the game when I never said such a thing.

Read my post again. I'm saying you're apparently overwhelmed by the "complexity" of the plot, not that you dislike it. Those are two different things entirely.

If TTYD's complexity is too much for you, if it exceeds your personal limit, that is fine. You can play less complex games (that's basically all I was telling you). But that's you. From the general tone of response in this thread it can be inferred that the average player enjoyed the colorful villain cast, and so TTYD's character diversity is not a flaw that needs to be fixed.

Read my post again. I'm saying you're apparently overwhelmed by the "complexity" of the plot, not that you dislike it. Those are two different things entirely.

If TTYD's complexity is too much for you, if it exceeds your personal limit, that is fine. You can play less complex games (that's basically all I was telling you). But that's you. From the general tone of response in this thread it can be inferred that the average player enjoyed the colorful villain cast, and so TTYD's character diversity is not a flaw that needs to be fixed.
Sorry, I misread.

It is not necessarily "too much" for me (in fact I thoroughly enjoy it. It is unique), but just that it is really my first game that I played with such a complex storyline. Again, it is not too much, just something that I have not yet seen before.

Oh, ok.

Give it a couple more years and some more complex titles, and when you look back TTYD might even look pleasantly uncomplicated by comparison.

if you think ttyd is complex, go watch inception or lost or any of stanley kubrick's films

i guarantee your mind will be goo by the end

GalacticPetey said:
but The Dark Knight and Batman Begins are fantastic films.

I've never watched the Dark Knight Rises but on the subject of Batman begins I can say I really disliked it's villains (I mean c'mon Scarecrow? You serious?).

But actually that might be because the only Batman villains I like are two-face and the Joker soo...

NOTE: Yes The Dark Knight is one of my favourite movies of all time.

Is TC a little kid or something? Because having many villains, not all on the same side, is the epitome of a more complex plot.

Who's TC?

Please don't associate confusion with immaturity; those are two COMPLETELY different things. Immaturity is hating on a game when you have never played it; confusion is not knowing what the heck is going on because you have never experienced such a complicated storyline.

For the relevance of the topic, I DID still understand the plot, but you have to still consider that most other Mario games do not nearly have a plot this complex

Godzillasaurus said:
Who's TC?

Please don't associate confusion with immaturity; those are two COMPLETELY different things. Immaturity is hating on a game when you have never played it; confusion is not knowing what the heck is going on because you have never experienced such a complicated storyline.

For the relevance of the topic, I DID still understand the plot, but you have to still consider that most other Mario games do not nearly have a plot this complex

I wasn't trying to insult you. I really was asking if you're a kid, because kids sometimes don't get intricacies of complex plots where there is more than one bad guy.

I definitely "get it". But it is still rather complicated because, well, most of the Mario games that I have played feature only one main villain who has one goal. I know how the plot plays out, but that does not make the plot any less complex than what you would find in, say, Super Mario 64.

And no, I am not a kid

Well RPGs tend to be more plot oriented than the platformers. It's like that since the very first Mario RPG, it would probably stay like that....with ONE exception

True, but I wouldn't consider the plot of Superstar Saga very complex either. PM and SS were still very simple compared to this one, Super Paper Mario, and the other Mario and Luigi games (which I haven't played BTW, but have read plot details)

Godzillasaurus said:

Yes, and it is precisely for that reason that this is the only Mario game that, to this day, I still love unconditionally, whereals all the others I am either just ok with or they have become irrelevant to me.

If you take away the one thing that sets this game apart from all the others, it might as well not exist, since it'd just be generic Mario game #79.

Godzillasaurus said:
I know how the plot plays out, but that does not make the plot any less complex than what you would find in, say, Super Mario 64.

And no, I am not a kid
>says Super Mario 64 has a complex plot
>denies being a kid

...riiiiiiiight....

I *love* the amount of villains in TTYD. I wish more Mario RPG-type games had such a large amount. Obviously not all of them are important, but I'd rather they have unique character designs for what could otherwise be faceless, nameless grunts.

@Gregor: It is a figure of speech; being capable of understanding the plot does not automatically make it equal to or inferior in complexity than that of a game with an otherwise simple storyline (which in turn takes place in a series where the majority of the games have very simple storylines from the beginning). TTYD has a very unusual and complicated plot for the Mario series as a whole (possibly the most-so in this regard), simply because it is much more developed than that of games like SM64 or SMB. This all holds true whether or not you can actually understand the specifics of it.

I am sure that I know myself better than you do, so please do not even start a maturity argument because you misunderstood what I was attempting to say. And if my vocabulary, grammar, and sentence-structure is not enough to persuade you that I am well over the age of twelve, then I do not know what else will aside from my own claims which you conveniently deny....

Sorry for the snobbish attitude in the previous paragraph; I just despise how friendly forum discussions (that are supposed to be FUN, mind you) always turn into a flame war for some ridiculous reason. Let's please stay civil (which most of you are, but this is supposed to act as a guideline for those of you who don't understand that flaming is disrespectful, especially if completely irrelevant

no one was flaming you

least of all, me, who simply inquired about your age with no flame strings attached

Back