Dark games in otherwise cheerful series.

G Major Steven Stone

A rock-solid source of support
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
The Shadow Prince
Examples of this might be Super Paper Mario, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Sonic CD, and Mother 3.
Why Sonic CD? Sonic COMMITS SUICIDE if you don't move for 3 minutes. Enough said.

Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time, oh god.

Pyro said:
How is that dark?

Eevee said:
Pyro said:
How is that dark?

In the first normal area, the town is destroyed by aliens and all the inhabitants are abducted. In the second normal area, there are Toads having their Vim (life force) sapped away by trees to be used for UFO fuel. I'd go on, but I haven't played in a while and only remember another one of the towns being completely annihilated to the point only two elderly people remain and the town is in ruins. If you actually watch a playthrough, you'll understand.

GalacticPetey said:
3D Player 2004 said:
Pokemon Emerald. The world almost ends.
That happens in every Pokemon game from Gen III on.
Cough.

Etrian Odyssey III. Then again the first two had so little a plot that the big plot twist was that a plot existed, so...

Azusa Nakano said:
Eevee said:
Pyro said:
How is that dark?

In the first normal area, the town is destroyed by aliens and all the inhabitants are abducted. In the second normal area, there are Toads having their Vim (life force) sapped away by trees to be used for UFO fuel. I'd go on, but I haven't played in a while and only remember another one of the towns being completely annihilated to the point only two elderly people remain and the town is in ruins. If you actually watch a playthrough, you'll understand.

There's also this:

C_12.png

It's ironic since the game that stars the baby versions has to be the darkest Mario & Luigi game in the series. It's also the funniest Mario & Luigi game too (bias with Baby Luigi notwithstanding).

Eevee said:
Why Sonic CD? Sonic COMMITS SUICIDE if you don't move for 3 minutes. Enough said.
You're kinda forgetting something.

th

Roserade the Real Bombchu said:
Eevee said:

th
And the creepy US soundtrack

Roserade the Real Bombchu said:
Eevee said:

th
man that devil Sonic is hilarious

I still don't get the "message" though

Luigi's Mansion was very dark.

I couldn't see anything. I spent half of the game walking into walls.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky,
The extra thing In the Future of Darkness, when Grovyle's spirit almost gets melted away. Seriously, that freaked me out.

Itsfreakinludwig said:
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky,
The extra thing In the Future of Darkness, when Grovyle's spirit almost gets melted away. Seriously, that freaked me out.
That was horrifying.

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze

At least a few levels such as Scorch N Torch. You go from this bright cheerful savannah to this Wind storm to a Brush fire with some serious music. It's like a tragic scene, and if only there were huts on fire and you could see animals running from the flames, that would have been more intense. Reckless Ride and Fruity Factory, mainly for the Giant Knives coming at you, at least it's not a bloody death for the Kongs. Some of the music in the game is also very dark but amazing.

Also Super Paper Mario is pretty dark, but I don't entirely remember how it goes.. I'll need to play it again

Super Adventure Rockman was too dark for a cheerful series like Mega Man Classic.

Certain Parts of Paper Mario:TTYD. An example would be how Ghost T. would end you if you read his diary. Or how before facing the Shadow Queen, you can choose to become her servant.

supermariofan said:
I would like to see a Mario game that's actually deep and emotional like a Final Fantasy game
Play the second and third Paper Mario games.

Back