Next Paper Mario game (Likely on Wii U)

Codename Steam my ass if I get teased Paper Mario I want Paper Mario and I'm not satisfied until they show Paper Mario.

thats nice

i hope there is never a paper mario game ever again

is that double post seriously necessary or did your edit function break?

I still would rather have Codename Steam than a new Mario RPG

i gave a second look at the paper mario face

the imperfections (especially in the ear and sideburns) gave me a clue that it was fanmade via illustrator

GalacticPetey said:
Lumastar said:
GalacticPetey said:
While no Paper Mario is kind of a bummer, look at that sexy Zelda U footage. So good.
as we only saw pre-rendered footage at E3 this year.
Actually, that was confirmed to be in-engine and not pre-rendered.
I was referring to how it was a cutscene rendered with the game's engine. I didn't know how to exactly clarify that.

Lumastar said:
there's a lower probability of a leak from Walmart being fake.
I thought it was accepted that Walmart put up a listing because they believed the fake tweet as well (or perhaps all of the #papermario5 bs)

I wouldn't expect a new Paper Mario announcement until something like a Nintendo Direct/E3 Presentation comes around anyway.

As for the "game looks too complex, can't get into it" comment, you should never let a game's initial complexity turn you off. There's a reason we have tutorials and an easy curve in video games: it's to teach you how the games play and to ease you into the game so you can get used to it. A good game will teach you how a game works and will guide you through the process until you finally understand how mechanics work and it won't sound as complex to you anymore as soon as you learn how to play the game. Everyone was a beginner when it comes to learning these type of games, they became pros not only through a game teaching how their mechanics work well, but also from much practice.

I've played an RPG and several strategy games with a pretty complex system (well at least to me....Tales of Symphonia and Civilization V come to mind), it's very daunting at first but the game eases you into it and helps you learn how it works through easy, beginner levels and stuff until you can finally go on your own once you understand and can play the game.

Well this is about a Wii U Paper Mario so I don't see how that's off topic.

As for the idea, it's just meh to me. I really don't want the next one to revolve around a gimmick. SPM was great despite its gimmick, while Sticker Star was not. I don't want them to risk another failure by using a gimmick. Just stick with one of the formulas that already exist, preferably TTYD's or SPM's.

Actually, I think Paper Mario could use a gimmick and still succeed. Remember Sticker Star's pre-release? It looked like a legit Paper Mario game but with many sticker elements. It was actually a promising concept until blah happened with Miyamoto and some crap. Gimmicks CAN work, it's all dependent on the execution on the gimmick.

Since TTYD is my favorite Paper Mario game that I've played, I would love something similar to that game for the new Paper Mario. The partner system and characters were one of my favorite parts of the game. I also really loved the badges, the battling, leveling up, and gameplay.

As for new things to add on, I'm actually not sure. I don't know want this to be a TTYD clone but I'm coming up with a blank at the moment. Maybe they can implement Game Pad mechanics or something and tweaks to the gameplay and badge/battling/leveling up system?

(I actually haven't played Sticker Star so I can't voice my opinion on that. I hear often that it wasn't such a good game though...that's too bad.)

Maybe implement a 2-player system with the partners? That would be cool.

Baby Luigi said:
Actually, I think Paper Mario could use a gimmick and still succeed. Remember Sticker Star's pre-release? It looked like a legit Paper Mario game but with many sticker elements. It was actually a promising concept until blah happened with Miyamoto and some crap. Gimmicks CAN work, it's all dependent on the execution on the gimmick.
This. The sticker concept was actually one of my favorite parts of Sticker Star. Unfortunately, other factors held the game down.

Baby Luigi said:
Maybe implement a 2-player system with the partners? That would be cool.

Man, that would totally be cool. I am all for that. It could kind of be like the 2-player system in the DKCR or DKCTF.

I bet it will come out sometime 2016 and onwards.

Also every diehard paper mario fan will hate it.

I'll be back in two years to check my accuracy.

Lumastar said:
Baby Luigi said:
This. The sticker concept was actually one of my favorite parts of Sticker Star. Unfortunately, other factors held the game down.

The thing with the stickers I didn't like was the fact that they basically determined a battle, and once you used one, you used it up completely and would have to find more stickers.

I think that had they kept the hammer and boot the same for mario in PM and TTYD, making the stickers more of items and main world gimmicks, then I would have much appreciated the gimmick. All the tools were there, but I felt like they just added too much of the tools for the concept to be a success.

But yeah, everything else just held it way back from being seen as a good game. Why even battle?

Back